Clownfish has white stuff on it, any thoughts?

bugzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. Had 2 fish die the other day (one looked like is got caught in a power head after it got it’s finally nipped) and not sure what happened to the other.

today one of my clowns is covered in white stuff. Guessing I have some type of fish disease but don’t have a quarantine setup. Any thoughts? I’d like to save what fish and inverts I have left.
F51C7F40-C33C-47B3-93D3-0DE7BB66467A.jpeg
C4519328-5AC3-43C8-99D9-66BC49C45761.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look like Brooklynella. Tough to treat that if fish loss has already taken place (meaning the disease is already serious) and then not having a treatment tank limits you to an effective treatment. If you can get Ruby Reef Rally Pro, you can try using that as a dip, but the problem is the fish has to go back not the infected tank, making it difficult to break the disease cycle.
What other fish and invertebrates are in the tank?

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

bugzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look like Brooklynella. Tough to treat that if fish loss has already taken place (meaning the disease is already serious) and then not having a treatment tank limits you to an effective treatment. If you can get Ruby Reef Rally Pro, you can try using that as a dip, but the problem is the fish has to go back not the infected tank, making it difficult to break the disease cycle.
What other fish and invertebrates are in the tank?

Jay
2 clown fish
Lawnmower blenny
Fire fish
Cleaner shrimp
Peppermint shrimp
Emerald crab (somewhere in the tank)
Various snails and hermit crabs.

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 clown fish
Lawnmower blenny
Fire fish
Cleaner shrimp
Peppermint shrimp
Emerald crab (somewhere in the tank)
Various snails and hermit crabs.
You might be able to buy some time with a 5 minute FW dip, but then the Ruby Reef would be the next option. Formalin baths in a treatment tank is usually the best treatment though.
Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

bugzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made it to an lfs and got a filter and heater and turbo start. They suggested cupramine so that’s in the tank. I did dip one in fresh water for a few mins and now it’s the QT tank.

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made it to an lfs and got a filter and heater and turbo start. They suggested cupramine so that’s in the tank. I did dip one in fresh water for a few mins and now it’s the QT tank.
Well, copper hasn’t worked well against Brooklynella for me, maybe you’ll have better luck?
Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

bugzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, copper hasn’t worked well against Brooklynella for me, maybe you’ll have better luck?
Jay
I did bring up what you suggested but they thought this might be better and on top of that did not have the other stuff

Upvote 0

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 62 46.6%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 43 32.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 19 14.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back