Clownfish keep dying

vsciacca

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m onto my second pair of clownfish after my first pair of mochas died. Now my second pair of clowns don’t look good. One has already died after I moved them both to a quarantine tank and the other has labored breathing laying on its side and hardly moving. The tank stays between 76 and 77 degrees. Ammonia is 0 nitrites are low (0.25 ppm max) but not completely zeroed out. Nitrates are around 5-10 ppm and ph is about 8.2. I have several mushrooms, a couple leathers, a pipe organ, a candy cane, and a Duncan all doing very well. There’s also a jawfish, a blenny, a cardinal, and a dozen or so snails and hermits also all doing well. The tank is 30 gallons and I added an aerator to make sure that wasn’t the problem after the last ones died. Everything else looks fine no labored breathing or anything like that. The only new addition recently was a bubble top anemone. Any thoughts on what is causing my clowns to die? Both sets lasted about 10 days before showing any signs of issues

OP
OP
V

vsciacca

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m onto my second pair of clownfish after my first pair of mochas died. Now my second pair of clowns don’t look good. One has already died after I moved them both to a quarantine tank and the other has labored breathing laying on its side and hardly moving. The tank stays between 76 and 77 degrees. Ammonia is 0 nitrites are low (0.25 ppm max) but not completely zeroed out. Nitrates are around 5-10 ppm and ph is about 8.2. I have several mushrooms, a couple leathers, a pipe organ, a candy cane, and a Duncan all doing very well. There’s also a jawfish, a blenny, a cardinal, and a dozen or so snails and hermits also all doing well. The tank is 30 gallons and I added an aerator to make sure that wasn’t the problem after the last ones died. Everything else looks fine no labored breathing or anything like that. The only new addition recently was a bubble top anemone. Any thoughts on what is causing my clowns to die? Both sets lasted about 10 days before showing any signs of issues
Salinity is 1.025

ihatetomatoclowns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
post some pics

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely need pics using white light and a video would also help.

To clarify, the death occurred after you moved to QT?

Can you estimate the breathing rate? Count number of breaths in 10 or 15 seconds and extrapolate to a minute.

Any visible spots, mucus, sores on the fish?

Any sign of fighting/bullying from other fish?

Did you QT when you first acquired the fish or only after the labored breathing began?

Have you treated with medication? What? How much?, Wehn?

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And, Welcome to R2R!

Attachments

• TANG-WELCOME.gif
    TANG-WELCOME.gif
    131.5 KB · Views: 56
OP
OP
V

vsciacca

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
post some pics

Pictures will really help. What type of filtration are you running?
I’m running a media chamber so the first stage is a filter sponge followed by filter floss then carbon and bio media. The second baffle has more bio media which is just some live rock. I have a Refugium but I haven’t added any macro algae to it yet since it’s a somewhat new setup.

The photo with the clowns in the tank was taken yesterday. The one without was taken just recently. I did notice my pipe organ and leathers are closed up now too. The picture of the clown is the one that’s still alive in my makeshift quarantine tank. The other died about two hours ago. They seemed completely fine this morning and for the last week and a half. Whatever happened seemed to happen very quickly

Attachments

• IMG_1027.jpeg
    IMG_1027.jpeg
    111.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1028.jpeg
    IMG_1028.jpeg
    144.7 KB · Views: 49
OP
OP
V

vsciacca

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can you estimate the breathing rate? Count number of breaths in 10 or 15 seconds and extrapolate to a minute.

Did you QT when you first acquired the fish or only after the labored breathing began?

Death occurred after QT. I’m worried I made it worse since I don’t have a proper qt setup yet but the other one is still alive and doesn’t seem to be getting worse or better. I did not quarantine them before adding to the tank (I probably should have)

No visible spots or sores. I thought about trying a freshwater bath for a few minutes to see if any parasites die off, but haven’t done that yet.

No signs of fighting with other fish although I saw the one that died touch the anemone yesterday and reacted as if it had gotten stung so I’m not sure if that has anything to do with it. Also I realized I was incorrect about the anemone type. It’s a long tentacle not a BTA.

No treatment yet. I’ve very new to the hobby (have kept freshwater fish for the last 5 years but first time investing in saltwater.

The tank is a homemade AIO first setup about 6 weeks ago. I think I may have jumped the gun on adding livestock but the first clowns died when there was just a cardinal in there with them. The cardinal is still doing well

OP
OP
V

vsciacca

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they all coming from the same LFS ?
First set and second set came from different stores. The first pair I got I thought died because they were sick from the start since one of them didn’t even make it through the 30 minute drive home, but the other made it about a week give or take a couple days

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, meant pics of the tank..... Salt water tanks are built very differently than freshwater tanks. How the tank is built has influence on the fishes health and happiness.

Tell us about the filtration system?

OP
OP
V

vsciacca

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running a media chamber so the first stage is a filter sponge followed by filter floss then carbon and bio media. The second baffle has more bio media which is just some live rock. I have a Refugium but I haven’t added any macro algae to it yet since it’s a somewhat new setup.

The photo with the clowns in the tank was taken yesterday. The one without was taken just recently. I did notice my pipe organ and leathers are closed up now too. The picture of the clown is the one that’s still alive in my makeshift quarantine tank. The other died about two hours ago. They seemed completely fine this morning and for the last week and a half. Whatever happened seemed to happen very quickly

Sorry, meant pics of the tank..... Salt water tanks are built very differently than freshwater tanks.

That’s my fault the pics of the tank are apparently too large to attach so I’m trying to figure that out. I’ll try to describe it for now. It’s an AIO with a media basket on the left stacked with filter sponge, then filter floss, then carbon, then bio media. Second baffle has a bunch of live rock followed by a refugium in the third baffle (have not added anything to the refugium yet) and lastly the return pump all the way to the right. Two rock structures in the tank. A large one on the right and a smaller one on the left with a hugger mini wave maker. I have a smatfarm light set to 40% when it’s fully ramped up (I haven’t gotten a par meter in there so not 100% sure how intense it is). It has an ATO and inkbird for temp control. Only using rodi water for the ATO and saltwater bought from my lfs for filling/water changes. I haven’t gotten my tests for phosphates, magnesium, kh etc yet so I can only test ph nitrates nitrites and ammonia currently

OP
OP
V

vsciacca

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, meant pics of the tank..... Salt water tanks are built very differently than freshwater tanks. How the tank is built has influence on the fishes health and happiness.

Here are some pics. My light doesn’t get super white but I tried to do the best I could

Attachments

• IMG_1033.jpeg
    IMG_1033.jpeg
    231.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1034.jpeg
    IMG_1034.jpeg
    196.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1035.jpeg
    IMG_1035.jpeg
    215.9 KB · Views: 37
OP
OP
V

vsciacca

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Forgot to include breathing rate. Seems to about 120-130 breaths per minute

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is very new but shouldn't have contributed to the issues with both sets of fish. I would be concerned for the anemone also. They don't do well in these environments and I'd recommend returning if you can.

For the fish we need a few more pics and a 20 second video in white lighting.

As you mention before it seems a quarantine system is definitely needed. Here is a link for the method best suited.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For added measure here is a link that will help resolve these situations asap. Reading and answering everything you can.

Sorry this is happening to you and welcome to R2R!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Pic fuzzy but it appears fish have ich or velvet and velvet especially will quickly take them down. With velvet, fish would be sluggish, no appetite and breathing heavy as signs. Moving forward, quarantine next fish and leave this tank they died in fishless (fallow) for at least 6 weeks to assure any protozoans or Flagellates dies off without a fish to host on)

OP
OP
V

vsciacca

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a nice looking tank!
Thank you! Pretty proud of it since it’s homemade but disappointed that I’m killing fish. I lost both the clowns and this morning my cardinal was dead. I inspected all of them and there are no signs of infections or diseases like ich or velvet that someone else had suggested may be the issue.

My last question to you and the rest of the group is about the freshwater I’m using for my ATO. Since my lfs is a bit of a drive I decided to use distilled water from the grocery store. I’m starting to think that was a mistake and could be causing the issues. Any thoughts on this? Thanks

OP
OP
V

vsciacca

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is very new but shouldn't have contributed to the issues with both sets of fish. I would be concerned for the anemone also. They don't do well in these environments and I'd recommend returning if you can.

For the fish we need a few more pics and a 20 second video in white lighting.

As you mention before it seems a quarantine system is definitely needed. Here is a link for the method best suited.

I must admit the anemone was not a thoughtful purchase I just got over excited and wanted something like it. I will be returning it because I don’t think it’ll do well in the long term. Thinking of getting a couple of torches instead. Do you think they would be okay? Going to wait a bit before doing that since I still don’t know what’s causing my issues. Also another note, my pipe organ closed up yesterday and has not reopened since. I’ve heard they can be a good indicator of water quality issues. Any idea what this might mean?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back