Confirming clown behavior

zyrzyxen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a pair of storm clownfish one black the other orange and the black one is a tad bit on the bigger side. Since day one they have always been by each other’s side showing no ounce of aggression.

Just recently I’ve noticed the orange clown with a nipped causal fin. After some observation at night, I’ve noticed the orange one twitch every so often and zip around the tank. I saw my black clown nip once in a blue moon but is not consistent. This is my first experience with clowns and they do extremely well otherwise, no lack in activity or hunger (eat quite a bit).

From what I’ve seen or read, this seems to be normal as one is trying to assert dominance over the other but I’d like to get outside advice from those with more experience. I’ve attached a video and a photo hoping to get a good shot of the concerning fin. Thanks!

-Z
IMG_9871.jpeg

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you are describing bonding behavior. That little shake the male does and then the female will do it back is a really cool thing to see! Beautiful clowns :)

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back