Clownfish

Becks001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought two Premium Clownfish I believe they are both Ocellaris Clowns about two days apart one is orange and white, I think it was called a frostbite (not sure) the other is mostly white with black fins and snout with orange on the snout and black spots on the body. I got the white one first It's not really small but is smaller than the orange and white one. They seemed to be doing okay together but the white one kept slapping the other one with his tail and ramming it with its nose so I separated them for about 24 hours. I took the one out and put it in a quarantine tank. Now they are staying in the same area and the white one keeps curling to the side and shuttering, is it possible that the white one is still a male even though he's not really small? I was worried that I ended up with two females because I thought they remained male until they paired up and I started reading some of the threads on here.

Last edited:

mues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought two Premium Clownfish I believe they are both Ocellaris Clowns about two days apart one is orange and white, I think it was called a frostbite (not sure) the other is mostly white with black fins and snout with orange on the snout and black spots on the body. I got the white one first It's not really small but is smaller than the orange and white one. They seemed to be doing okay together but the white one kept slapping the other one with his tail and ramming it with its nose so I separated them for about 24 hours. I took the one out and put it in a quarantine tank. Now they are staying in the same area and the white one keeps curling to the side and shuttering, is it possible that the white one is still a male even though he's not really small? I was worried that I ended up with two females because I thought they remained male until they paired up and I started reading some of the threads on here.

if the white is smaller and is twitching, it is showing submission. it will stay male and the other will turn female. common clown pairing behavior. to anyone who hasn't seen it, you'd think the fish was having a seizure

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They are just having normal clownfish “beef” mine are paired and hangout together all the time. However the female will still occasionally “attack” the male and the male will shudder to show submission. I would not separate them unless you see major signs of damage to the fish. When I first got mine my male got small tears in the fins and I still did not separate. Normal process and you gotta let it happen.

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if the white is smaller and is twitching, it is showing submission. it will stay male and the other will turn female. common clown pairing behavior. to anyone who hasn't seen it, you'd think the fish was having a seizure
It does look like seizures. I was scared when I first got mine until some research quickly told me that it is completely normal.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 82 77.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back