Clownfish potential bacterial infection or Brooklynella

billyo2811

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
My clownfish has been looking uneasy for a few days now and only worsened in the last 24hrs. I don’t know alot about fish diesease and diagnosis. Today I got home and found the fish lying on its side and breathing really heavy but as I turned of the flow and went to get it out to a separate container it starting moving and acting semi normal but continued to breathe heavy. The fish hasn’t eaten the last few days and usually is a pig. The white patches as seen in the photos started on the left bottom fin and now has few more popping up all over.

Please help

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
B

billyo2811

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EDIT

50Gal Mixed Reef Aquarium

Radion Lighting

Protein skimming and biological media for filtration along side floss in filter sock.

tank started with live rock in December 2023.

Affected fish is not feeding

No fish lost just yet

Invertebrates not affected

Only remidie I’ve tried is feeding a few extra pellets to assist with extra vitamins ect

136 gill beats per minute on affected fish.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi all,
My clownfish has been looking uneasy for a few days now and only worsened in the last 24hrs. I don’t know alot about fish diesease and diagnosis. Today I got home and found the fish lying on its side and breathing really heavy but as I turned of the flow and went to get it out to a separate container it starting moving and acting semi normal but continued to breathe heavy. The fish hasn’t eaten the last few days and usually is a pig. The white patches as seen in the photos started on the left bottom fin and now has few more popping up all over.

Please help
Please post pics and even you tube video under white light intensity for best assessment. With this, its often water quality or disease and hard to tell with out images

OP
OP
B

billyo2811

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please post pics and even you tube video under white light intensity for best assessment. With this, its often water quality or disease and hard to tell with out images
Sorry I thought I attached photos the first time, I’ll attach them now. Let me know if you can’t see them :)

Attachments

• IMG_4474.jpeg
    IMG_4474.jpeg
    117.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4458.jpeg
    IMG_4458.jpeg
    168.4 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
B

billyo2811

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a couple of pics under natural light. Also uploaded a short video, I’m still trying to get a photo of the sore on the underside. But everything looks to me like a bacterial infection.

Attachments

• IMG_4477.jpeg
    IMG_4477.jpeg
    115.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2617.jpeg
    IMG_2617.jpeg
    165.6 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
B

billyo2811

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a picture of the underside sore on her fin.

Attachments

• IMG_2630.jpeg
    IMG_2630.jpeg
    153.1 KB · Views: 23

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Here’s a picture of the underside sore on her fin.
The fish is quite thin and also shows early signs of brooklynella disease. With brook, you will see heavy breathing, loss of appetite, loss of color, mucus in the facial area and lethargic behavior as displayed in video
Getting clown to eat is important. Treatment best would be ruby rally pro with added aeration

OP
OP
B

billyo2811

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With Brook, can it take this long to develop. She’s really struggling to swim and keep up with the flow I’ve got in my tank I’ve got her in a acclimation box for the night not sure how easy ruby rally pro is to obtain in Australia any other suggestions to keep her kicking for the night ?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With Brook, can it take this long to develop. She’s really struggling to swim and keep up with the flow I’ve got in my tank I’ve got her in a acclimation box for the night not sure how easy ruby rally pro is to obtain in Australia any other suggestions to keep her kicking for the night ?
That lesion looks really deep, and it may be infected. The rapid breathing and overall weakness may be from a systemic bacterial infection. If the lesion has breached the belly muscles, it would leave the abdomen open to the water, and that would be fatal.
Do you have any idea how this lesion came about? Was it possibly an injury?

OP
OP
B

billyo2811

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That lesion looks really deep, and it may be infected. The rapid breathing and overall weakness may be from a systemic bacterial infection. If the lesion has breached the belly muscles, it would leave the abdomen open to the water, and that would be fatal.
Do you have any idea how this lesion came about? Was it possibly an injury?
I have no idea how it came about she’s had a mark and her and her mate have always have little nips out of each others fins I suppose either they do that to each other or another fish . I’ve never seen any serious tussles. The lesion on her belly has worsened a lot in the last 24hrs. I’m not sure if there’s anything I can do at this stage . Where do I go from here.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea how it came about she’s had a mark and her and her mate have always have little nips out of each others fins I suppose either they do that to each other or another fish . I’ve never seen any serious tussles. The lesion on her belly has worsened a lot in the last 24hrs. I’m not sure if there’s anything I can do at this stage . Where do I go from here.

There isn't much you can do - moving the fish to a treatment tank and dosing with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic like Neomycin or Kanamycin would be the standard treatment, but I'm not optimistic that would work - sorry.

OP
OP
B

billyo2811

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There isn't much you can do - moving the fish to a treatment tank and dosing with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic like Neomycin or Kanamycin would be the standard treatment, but I'm not optimistic that would work - sorry.
Thank you anyway for all the help !

OP
OP
B

billyo2811

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with above. I assume your other fish are doing well? Also please give us an update even if it’s a negative outcome
Unfortunately she didn’t make it through the night as suspected. Fortunately I am keeping her in a container for the day to inspect via microscope when I return home from work this evening hopefully I get some answers. I’ve never had the best of luck with fish.

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 18 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • Unsure

Votes: 15 11.1%
Back