Clownfish with Mucus on Nose & Top Fin?

TinyReefObsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, my female clown spent the last 2 days nipping at the base of my condy’s tentacles, so they wouldn’t drape over their new spawning location lol this afternoon (after I moved some sand around..) it looks like dust bunnies on my clowns top fin & I suspect mucus on her nose? Could this be increased mucus from her spending all that time with her nose against the condy? Is that even possible? TIA

Edit: apologies for the blurry pics- she’s fast!

IMG_8421.jpeg IMG_8423.jpeg IMG_8422.jpeg

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, my female clown spent the last 2 days nipping at the base of my condy’s tentacles, so they wouldn’t drape over their new spawning location lol this afternoon (after I moved some sand around..) it looks like dust bunnies on my clowns top fin & I suspect mucus on her nose? Could this be increased mucus from her spending all that time with her nose against the condy? Is that even possible? TIA

Edit: apologies for the blurry pics- she’s fast!

IMG_8421.jpeg IMG_8423.jpeg IMG_8422.jpeg
@Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I’m not home but as posted for another person earlier-
This is a clear case of clown disease known as brooklynella. The mucus seen generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective but now harder to find) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.

OP
OP
TinyReefObsession

TinyReefObsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not home but as posted for another person earlier-
This is a clear case of clown disease known as brooklynella. The mucus seen generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective but now harder to find) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.
Thank you! I read your other post too while panic searching yesterday lol oddly enough it’s gone again today! Could it have been from all the time she spent with her nose against the condy?

She spent a good 2 days nose to tentacle base, nipping away… and then i only noticed after i kicked up sand which i assume stuck to her top fin… total newbie here… thanks a million as always:)

EDIT: eating like a pig as always, only change in behavior so far is the increased nipping at the nem

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thank you! I read your other post too while panic searching yesterday lol oddly enough it’s gone again today! Could it have been from all the time she spent with her nose against the condy?

She spent a good 2 days nose to tentacle base, nipping away… and then i only noticed after i kicked up sand which i assume stuck to her top fin… total newbie here… thanks a million as always:)
I’m back home and will look on a larger screen

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thanks and apologies they were blurry as i zoomed more… i can try to get some now too since there is nothing on her top fin anymore ..
Just looked on large screen in lieu of phone and does resemble brook with a few secondary bacterial lesions but keep an eye on fish to assure its not progressive where the fish is/are getting a cloudy appearance followed by heavy breathing and loss of appetite. The anemone wouldnt necessarily clean its face but rather sting the clown which would appear as little block dots called hyper-melanization. Top fins may have been grains of sand does adhere to them due to their heavy mucus coat on their skin

OP
OP
TinyReefObsession

TinyReefObsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried uploading a video - i know others have had mixed results- i think she’s all clear today- I don’t see anything at all
Just looked on large screen in lieu of phone and does resemble brook with a few secondary bacterial lesions but keep an eye on fish to assure its not progressive where the fish is/are getting a cloudy appearance followed by heavy breathing and loss of appetite. The anemone wouldnt necessarily clean its face but rather sting the clown which would appear as little block dots called hyper-melanization. Top fins may have been grains of sand does adhere to them due to their heavy mucus coat on their skin
aaah thanks- she’s 9yrs, and has had the dark top since i got her (along with the tank 6mos back)… here’s a video i just took - it looks like she’s all clear & back to “normal” looking today. I think your right about the sand- odd i didn’t notice before… will keep a close eye on her.

She eats voraciously and spawns 2 days after each batch hatches, has been a territorial sniper or nem nipping all week haha will watch for changes. Thanks again- I really appreciate your time.

Attachments

• Nemo .MOV
    14.6 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

EDIT: eating like a pig as always, only change in behavior so far is the increased nipping at the nem

Condylactus anemones are not normal hosts for most clownfish (only tomato clowns will usually enter them, but reluctantly). In my opinion, these lesions are from the clownfish picking at the tentacles and being stung.

Brooklynella will show major additional symptoms, such as mucus coating over all/most of the fish's skin, not feeding well, and most importantly, the fish will start swimming oddly - like they are "mopey". You may also see rapid breathing.

Jay

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I tried uploading a video - i know others have had mixed results- i think she’s all clear today- I don’t see anything at all

aaah thanks- she’s 9yrs, and has had the dark top since i got her (along with the tank 6mos back)… here’s a video i just took - it looks like she’s all clear & back to “normal” looking today. I think your right about the sand- odd i didn’t notice before… will keep a close eye on her.

She eats voraciously and spawns 2 days after each batch hatches, has been a territorial sniper or nem nipping all week haha will watch for changes. Thanks again- I really appreciate your time.
Cant open video but not certain either on brook as mentioned but did not notice as mentioned - Condy anemone which is not a typical host anemone

OP
OP
TinyReefObsession

TinyReefObsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Condylactus anemones are not normal hosts for most clownfish (only tomato clowns will usually enter them, but reluctantly). In my opinion, these lesions are from the clownfish picking at the tentacles and being stung.

Brooklynella will show major additional symptoms, such as mucus coating over all/most of the fish's skin, not feeding well, and most importantly, the fish will start swimming oddly - like they are "mopey". You may also see rapid breathing.

Jay
Thank you! The story is that she beat the condy into hosting them, back when the condy was the size of a quarter (8yrs ago) lol i didn’t realize the condy could still sting them, after they developed their mucus coating (despite my searching), but have only taken over this tank 6mos ago, so learning TONS.

Looking more closely- she now has some darkness on 1/2 of her upper nose/ face - and i’m seeing her hyperpigmentation is splotchy here and there on her back. I guess Nemy had enough nipping… which she seems to be fixated on this week…

pics of the troublemakers below lol

Attachments

• IMG_8437.jpeg
    IMG_8437.jpeg
    206.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_8438.jpeg
    IMG_8438.jpeg
    212.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_8449.jpeg
    IMG_8449.jpeg
    210.1 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
TinyReefObsession

TinyReefObsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant open video but not certain either on brook as mentioned but did not notice as mentioned - Condy anemone which is not a typical host anemone
Thanks for the help as always! I never looked very closely at her hyperpigmentation since i was told it was “normal”, but after your initial comments I can see it’s blotchy and today she has some on her upper left side of her face after all the nipping to bend the condy to her will lol

I am not familiar with the various fish diseases so this is all good for me to learn to watch out for. Will keep a close eye on them. Thanks again!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! The story is that she beat the condy into hosting them, back when the condy was the size of a quarter (8yrs ago) lol i didn’t realize the condy could still sting them, after they developed their mucus coating (despite my searching), but have only taken over this tank 6mos ago, so learning TONS.

Looking more closely- she now has some darkness on 1/2 of her upper nose/ face - and i’m seeing her hyperpigmentation is splotchy here and there on her back. I guess Nemy had enough nipping… which she seems to be fixated on this week…

pics of the troublemakers below lol

I agree, an 8 year only condy shouldn't sting as strongly as a freshly collected one will.

Your picture #8423 shows some mucus along the clownfish's dorsal fin - that bears watching.

Jay

OP
OP
TinyReefObsession

TinyReefObsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, an 8 year only condy shouldn't sting as strongly as a freshly collected one will.

Your picture #8423 shows some mucus along the clownfish's dorsal fin - that bears watching.

Jay
Thank you so much Jay. I’ve been watching her like a hawk and she hasn’t had anything on her face or top fin anymore since the day I posted- which is great- but bizarre because I could see it on her face too when I initially posted (it was clear and impossible to photograph). She is easing up on the nem again too- whether that was related or a coincidence. I will keep a close eye on her. Thanks again.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back