Common Brown Octopus

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I came across this the other day... Neat looking little fellow. Got me to thinking about a tank for one. Maybe a 20 long set up like a peninsula. Epoxy a sturdy rock structure together and maybe some clear glass bottles/jars. Set it up in living room or dining room so he can watch everything going on in the world. Would have to find a very good lid though.

Seems from what I have found that it being sold under that name means it could possibly be a few different species. Anyone with thoughts or experiences? Depending the type, a 20 long might be way too small. I know lifespans are usually short.
Thanks!
IMG_8855.PNG

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard they will find a way out of most tanks. I was hoping I would get one as a hitchhiker with my live rock. My wife was glad we didn’t.

OP
OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Likely gets way too large for a 20g. If you want one for a 20g, you want to get one from a reputable source that is properly identified as a dwarf species.
That is probably the best idea. To find a true dwarf.

azreeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is WAY over price, I have 2 brown octopus and they were $30.00 at LFS same size 3”. If i had to do it again I would save the money and not get them. I have not seen them more than 2 minutes in 4 months. I know they are alive because the emerald crabs and feeder shrimp I keep putting in the tank keep getting eaten. They find the smallest holes in the Rock and hide all day. So unless you want to see them at 3 am not worth the hassle IMO. My wife has no idea I have them because they are never out during the day .... ever. For that price I would not waste it.

OP
OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is WAY over price, I have 2 brown octopus and they were $30.00 at LFS same size 3”. If i had to do it again I would save the money and not get them. I have not seen them more than 2 minutes in 4 months. I know they are alive because the emerald crabs and feeder shrimp I keep putting in the tank keep getting eaten. They find the smallest holes in the Rock and hide all day. So unless you want to see them at 3 am not worth the hassle IMO. My wife has no idea I have them because they are never out during the day .... ever. For that price I would not waste it.
Thanks, that is good information to have. I did not realize they can be found for fairly cheap. I don't have a LFS unfortunately.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen several octopus tanks including in research settings and have to say that it’s probaly one of the worst and most difficult tank inhabitants out there.

Most species are nocturnal, instinctively shy, among the more extreme solitary animals (even across species - meaning that they really won’t like seeing you or anyone else), escape artists, plus simply don’t do well in tanks.

You can keep it alive but it will never thrive in almost any system but very large public aquaria with lots of different hiding places no matter what information may be out there to say otherwise.

(No hate if you decide to get one though, they are also very fascinating animals)

OP
OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen several octopus tanks including in research settings and have to say that it’s probaly one of the worst and most difficult tank inhabitants out there.

Most species are nocturnal, instinctively shy, among the more extreme solitary animals (even across species - meaning that they really won’t like seeing you or anyone else), escape artists, plus simply don’t do well in tanks.

You can keep it alive but it will never thrive in almost any system but very large public aquaria with lots of different hiding places no matter what information may be out there to say otherwise.

(No hate if you decide to get one though, they are also very fascinating animals)
Thanks for your response! I likely will not get one. I just came across that posting while scavenging eBay and started thinking about how cool it would be. Which prompted me to see if anyone had input on them.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you, I’d love to own one. Maybe one day when I can build a house around a tank :)

If you are interested in octopuses I recommend reading Sy Montgomery’s book Soul of an Octopus. It’s a personal story that summarizes a lot of research (I’m in no way related to the author or the publisher).

azreeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree I regret buying the 2 I have. The LFS had them in a pitcher of water floating in a tank for several weeks and I hated to see them there. I had a 75 gallon tank already set up that previously housed an eel and completely sealed that I figured I would use to rescue them. They were only $30.00 each. Well like I mentioned earlier have not seen them in 4 months other than the occasion tip of a tentacle moving in a small hole. They eat the crabs I throw in the tank but otherwise can’t enjoy the fact that I have them and now I’m spending $10-15 a week of crabs to feed them and I can’t see them!

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We kept atlantic pygmy octopus. They are difficult but very cool. They need a lot of attention and clean stable water. We had a carribean octopus as well. Never able to keep them over a year so we stopped keeping them. Octopus and hatching a shark egg was probably the coolest and intriguing things we've done in the hobby.

OP
OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We kept atlantic pygmy octopus. They are difficult but very cool. They need a lot of attention and clean stable water. We had a carribean octopus as well. Never able to keep them over a year so we stopped keeping them. Octopus and hatching a shark egg was probably the coolest and intriguing things we've done in the hobby.
How did the shark egg go? I have looked at those before as well. Something I have considered down the road when my garage is finished and heated for a big predator tank. Did you just find it a home after hatching? Thanks!

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did the shark egg go? I have looked at those before as well. Something I have considered down the road when my garage is finished and heated for a big predator tank. Did you just find it a home after hatching? Thanks!
It was Awesome! Watched the shark grow in the egg. Once hatched we hand fed it a slurry of oyster feast and PE mysis then after about 2 weeks it started taking squid. Kept it for over a year then found it a new home. It was trained to feed from the same exact corner of the tank as well. You could pet him and was very sociable. It was a banded cat shark. We miss him.

MUSBFRANK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cuttlefish are amazing. I have never seen one for sale though. I actually have been working on a design for a cuttlefish tattoo!

I see them here and there, clusters of eggs for sell as well with either being scooped up quickly, but more and more species are being tank raised and seemingly tons easier to care for, if you keep your eye out for one of the dwarf species, it'll be less stress than an octopus which keeps you wondering if his/her daily escape attempt has been successful.

bluringer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I much prefer bluering octos there out during the day. We have a brown octopus now. There’s so much misinformation out there about everything I feel like I’m watching a YouTube repair video where if you know what your doing you can cut half the video out just watching to see what your getting into. I only have a reef tank with lighting as long as you don’t cook them they don’t mind. Octopus will play hide and seek during the day not moving until you spot them then swim to get pet. All during the day I have had octos steal my frag pegs, to common octopus trying to fight with the cat. Put your octopus in a critter container and acclimate them drop that tank in your tank. For couple days so they see your not big creature running up on the tank. If you have glasses it’s scary to them at first. Nemo will do the tail in the face thing everyone gets along. My octos I know something is wrong if they don’t come to front of the tank and squiggle when they see us in the morning. Never got them to eat anything but crabs and live clams from grocery store. They don’t mind reef lighting if you acclimate them you can’t just flip thousand watts on the tank need to ramp up lighting slow. There out all day long go sleep at night. If you set up your tank so you can see them however they still can hide you can see them. Rocks placed in a cave formation yiu can see in however rocks spits where they feel hidden. When I do a water change I have to shoo the octos away there all ways out curious. They watch tv there like a dog really. Trick is to never stop looking for them and giving them attention. If you don’t pay attention to a pet there off doing whatever same here

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 103 44.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 109 46.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 22 9.4%
Back