Dsnakes 125g Mixed Reef

Discussion in 'Member Tanks' started by Dsnakes, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Dsnakes

Dsnakes Knight Reefer R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I'm way too excited to get this started. I bought the system from someone who had it running as a FOWLR. I've got a 55g running with the fish that came with it.
    Sailfin tang
    Hippo Tang
    Clownfish
    Chromis
    I'm not sure of tank brand, but it is 72" x 19" x 22" with dual corner overflows. The stand will need to be reinforced and new skin with white paint. Sump will be a 55g and I'll have to figure something for 10-15g for ATO.
    Lots to come for this build! Here are my fish in the 55g. I'm feeding them frequently, as they are definitely malnourished. Eating well now!

IMG_9102.JPG

IMG_9110.JPG

IMG_9112.JPG

IMG_9113.JPG

Tags:

2. Crabs Mcjones

Crabs Mcjones Tank Mechanic R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Following along for this epic journey! :)

mike werner, jakeh22, GoVols and 4 others like this.
  3. Dsnakes

Dsnakes Knight Reefer R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Glad to have you Crabs!

Here is a picture of the tank before we broke it down to move. I can see the potential with some work!
    First step, rebuild stand to the wife's approval. Second step, clean the tank up!

IMG_9074.JPG

4. Crabs Mcjones

Crabs Mcjones Tank Mechanic R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I think you need to have a conversation with my wife so I can go bigger! Lol doesn't need to be much, id be happy with a 75. Which would work perfectly as I'm in the process of resealing and building a 40 gallon breeder sump :) won't go to much into detail..this is your thread after all ;)

mike werner, GoVols, DSC reef and 2 others like this.
  5. Dsnakes

So...I've been bugging her for so long about an SCA 150 or 240. She absolutely hated the 24" width because we would have to get rid of our brand new couch and get a love seat ;Hilarious so I came across this deal for a 19" wide tank... I couldn't believe I got a yes. I had to pay the man quick before she realized what she told me!

I wish it was 24" wide, but I can upgrade when the couch isn't so new ;)

mike werner, GoVols and DSC reef like this.
  6. BobNY

BobNY Member

Following along. I have a 125 as well. I would love a 24"debth, but I couldn't go deeper than 18" in the spot it is in. If your tank has the Aqueon Durso overflow kits consider ditching them and doing a dual Herbie overflow. that would require you to run all 4 bulkheads as drains, so you would have to run your return out over the top of the tank. I recently made the change, It is silent and I have way more flow.

GoVols, DSC reef and Dsnakes like this.
  7. DSC reef

DSC reef Coral wasted R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

Awesome start @Dsnakes. Will be following, can't wait to see what you do with it. Me and my wife were just talking about a 125 the other day, I think it's the perfect size to work with.

mike werner, Fin, GoVols and 2 others like this.
  8. Dsnakes

That is what it has I think. I wonder if I can drill the back if I go that route. I don't think I would like it over the back.

mike werner and GoVols like this.
  9. Dsnakes

No progress on the the stand or tank cleaning yet. It's been nasty here with the nor'easters. Here's a couple pics of the gang. They are loving some food! The Sailfin loves his algae clip. They are all enjoying pellets, mysis, brine, and plankton. Still thin, but I think making progress. Huge appetite from the Hippo. It was the thinnest. Going to Greenville on Friday so I'll be stopping at a couple LFS there and bring home some LRS!

IMG_9138.JPG

IMG_9139.JPG

10. WWIII

WWIII Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor LMAS Member

Fish are looking good! Once that hippo tastes that LRS it will be game on. He'll be wide bodied in no time!

Congrats on the new tank! I'll be following along!

11. Dsnakes

The 125 is cleaning up well :) I am hopeful to get the stand done next week.

Goal = tank on stand in the house by April 1. Hope it's not a fools day joke on myself :p

IMG_9149.JPG

IMG_9151.JPG

wowkingjames, Fin, najer and 4 others like this.
  12. Dsnakes

New fish Friday should be a thing :rolleyes: Flame Angel and Yellow Tang with the future big tank crowd and a 6 line wrasse for the IM 20. (Yes I added them all without qt) please don't judge me ;Nailbiting

I am way too impulsive for my own good ;)

IMG_9174.JPG

IMG_9181.JPG

IMG_9184.JPG

IMG_9190.JPG

13. Dsnakes

Stand work today! Getting it sanded down and cleaned up for a fresh new look. I even have some help!

IMG_9196.JPG

IMG_9198.JPG

IMG_9197.JPG

Fudsey, Fin, DSC reef and 2 others like this.
  14. Dsnakes

The plan is to frame out the entire wall section and make the tank look built in. Shelves with recessed soft lights above the canopy. Here is a high tech schematic ;)

IMG_9199.JPG

IMG_9200.JPG

Fudsey, Texas Reefer, Fin and 4 others like this.
  15. Dsnakes

One coat of primer on the stand today. This will be the base to build everything off of.

IMG_9205.JPG

Fudsey, Fin, DSC reef and 3 others like this.
  16. WWIII

WWIII Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor LMAS Member

Are your wood floors prefinished or stained? Like the color a lot!

Guys kill me with their autocad "sketches" of their future tank setups. (Probably cause I'm jealous) but mine always look just like yours! Very nice!

DSC reef, Dsnakes and GoVols like this.
  17. GoVols

GoVols "VFL" R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award MTRCMember Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

@Dsnakes
    Congrats on getting your 125 and great job with the fish in the 55.
    Love your layout on post #14.

It's a great build and Tagging along for the ride :)

Freddie

mike werner, Fin, DSC reef and 2 others like this.
  18. Flippers4pups

Flippers4pups Fins up since 1993 R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Build Thread Contributor

Welcome to the 125 club! I have the same tank. I've always loved 6ft tanks.

mike werner, Fin, GoVols and 3 others like this.
  19. Somuchflo99

Somuchflo99 Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

Yooo ur kid rockin the r2r hat is awesome lol my son is about to be 4 and I’m building him a 28 gal nano wish I woulda plumbed my 125 but instead I sold it to buy the nano set up its cycling now

20. Cstanberry

Cstanberry Active Member

I will be tagging along most definitely. Can use the inspiration for a bigger set up

GoVols, DSC reef and Dsnakes like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted