OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came out great! Good luck on those fish. Glad they are doing okay so far.
Thanks! Haven't even started the doors yet, but I'll get there. Going to run a piece up the side as well to cover the overflow part.

OP
OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it bad that I'm looking up prices of starfire glass tanks? I'm scared to set this up and be unhappy with the clarity. My IM Nuvo is crystal clear and I can really see the tint to this one...

Mrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a tough call and curious to see what others think. I’d probably stay the course but I’m also not seeing what our seeing in person to know how noticeable the difference really is.

Otherwise the build looks great so far and awesome your fish seemed to do well with your treatment.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, on my 200dd the difference is somewhat minimal in the starfire vs non-starfire panels. I have mine built into the wall, but see through on the back. There is a difference, but not drastic imo. Maybe if the tank is in the middle of a big bright room and when all the lights are on, but under blueish lighting it's not that noticable of a difference to me. Maybe if I had a non starfire next to a starfire tank I would say otherwise?

When the tank was empty I could tell more of a difference.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note: Think about the space from the back of the tank and your wall. Can you fit your power cords? Can your power heads and light cords fix between the two?
-Someone told me this before hand and it saved me a big headache.

Good Luck! Your house looks really nice!

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
↑↑ I agree with this. You do have half of the tank that access will be extremely limited or completely blocked, up against the wall. Personally, I have never had a tank up against the wall. My 75 was 12" away from the wall and my 4' 140 was situated in a corner, as will my new 125, to where I can actually walk behind the tank. Access is an important consideration.

OP
OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note: Think about the space from the back of the tank and your wall. Can you fit your power cords? Can your power heads and light cords fix between the two?
-Someone told me this before hand and it saved me a big headache.

Good Luck! Your house looks really nice!
Thanks! Yeah I have thought about the cords. They will run along the top of the tank to the side and into the stand from there.
The only thing I'm thinking about it placement of magnets on the back for powerheads if I want them.

OP
OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, on my 200dd the difference is somewhat minimal in the starfire vs non-starfire panels. I have mine built into the wall, but see through on the back. There is a difference, but not drastic imo. Maybe if the tank is in the middle of a big bright room and when all the lights are on, but under blueish lighting it's not that noticable of a difference to me. Maybe if I had a non starfire next to a starfire tank I would say otherwise?

When the tank was empty I could tell more of a difference.
It may not bother me once full of water with lights and coral/fish to look at. I just got a quote from SCA and ;Dead Way more than one of their stock sizes for a larger tank. I suppose because it would be custom.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may not bother me once full of water with lights and coral/fish to look at. I just got a quote from SCA and ;Dead Way more than one of their stock sizes for a larger tank. I suppose because it would be custom.

That's why I have a marineland DD. Lol

killr66tb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that looks clean the only thing I'm worrying about is how close to the wall it is I did that once and ruined my wall. Water will find your wall so I keep a two inch gap now. Good luck and beautiful job.

OP
OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the pile of rocks I have. I suppose I'll put them in a tub of water with bleach to try and clean them up. I hope the green comes off most of them. Some have be artificial purple, which I like. Will the bleach take that off?

IMG_9322.JPG

IMG_9323.JPG

IMG_9324.JPG

IMG_9327.JPG

IMG_9328.JPG

IMG_9329.JPG

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleach shouldn't remove the purple, but looks like some has already come off.

While your rock is out and have a final aquascape, you should drill the rock and use fiberglass Rod to make it stable.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While your rock is out and have a final aquascape, you should drill the rock and use fiberglass Rod to make it stable.
Don,
That's some great advise

OP
OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know :confused:

(lol)
I guess we'll find out... ;Wideyed

:)
Yes we will! :D

Bleach shouldn't remove the purple, but looks like some has already come off.

That's a good idea. I guess I'll have to find a scape I like ;Nailbiting

OP
OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got all of the rock in a 27g black tote filled with water and 2 gallons of bleach in it. Is that enough? Or should I consider adding more bleach?

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks very nice in position.

We call it opti white glass in England, my big tank was custom, 3 sides opti white, my last tank was also custom opti white, I wouldn't go back to normal glass now, just saying! ;)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back