OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to make a to-do list of things to figure out. I need to determine lighting so I can build the canopy to accommodate it. I've only used the current USA loop. Im thinking about a t-5 led hybrid. 60" fixture I think will cover the 72" tank enough, as the back corner overflows take up some space on either side. The goal is to have a light that will cover well enough to have no shadow from the black center brace.

IMG_9342.PNG

IMG_9343.jpg

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to make a to-do list of things to figure out. I need to determine lighting so I can build the canopy to accommodate it. I've only used the current USA loop. Im thinking about a t-5 led hybrid. 60" fixture I think will cover the 72" tank enough, as the back corner overflows take up some space on either side. The goal is to have a light that will cover well enough to have no shadow from the black center brace.

IMG_9342.PNG

IMG_9343.jpg

That looks like a great fixture, is it controllable?

OP
OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a great fixture, is it controllable?
I don't believe the fixture itself is. You buy whichever led fixtures you want to add. I figured the t5 would be on a timer and the seprate led fixtures would be controllable if purchased that way? I may be wrong.

OP
OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Easter! :)

Trying to figure out the plumbing today. Here is how easy I wish it would be. Where should I add gate valves? Are two return pumps better than one? Would this simple plumbing be noisy? Thanks in advance!

IMG_9351.JPG

OP
OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Trying to figure out the plumbing today. Here is how easy I wish it would be. Where should I add gate valves? Are two return pumps better than one? Would this simple plumbing be noisy? Thanks in advance!

IMG_9351.JPG
I should add - This will be a 55g sump. The pipes are all 1"

OP
OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Needless to say, they loved it! Happy to see them eating aggressively while sitting in cupramine.

On a sad note, the flame angel didn't survive. I believe it was the original carrier of the velvet and it never fully recovered.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Needless to say, they loved it! Happy to see them eating aggressively while sitting in cupramine.

On a sad note, the flame angel didn't survive. I believe it was the original carrier of the velvet and it never fully recovered.

:(

OP
OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_9351.JPG
Any plumbing advice for this setup? 1" pipes and a 55g sump. I can order gate valves if needed.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@crabs_mcjones what do you think about two kessil ap700 over this tank? 72x18x22. I'm most concerned about a possible shadow from the center brace.
Two would be perfect :) mount them 7 inches over the tank

OP
OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much progress on the tank build. Waiting on sump baffles to ship. I did however have an 'ah-ha' moment when I was thinking about powerheads for flow. I completely forgot I won this Tunze 6105 in a contest here on R2R! Only having a nano at the time, it was a bit excessive :eek:

So I will mount this on the right side panel to force some surge across the length of the tank.

IMG_9418.JPG

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working on the canopy part. What would be a good universal height to mount my supports where the light will hang from? Hoping to use a t-5 led hybrid.

IMG_9386.JPG

Late to this, sorry. I would have my canopy cross brace height around twenty inches above water line. Why so high? Allows for fixure height adjustments and room for changing light fixture types down the road. Never know, you may change your mind on lighting.

I kind of wish I would have gone higher with mine when I built it.

OP
OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Late to this, sorry. I would have my canopy cross brace height around twenty inches above water line. Why so high? Allows for fixure height adjustments and room for changing light fixture types down the road. Never know, you may change your mind on lighting.

I kind of wish I would have gone higher with mine when I built it.
Better late than never, at least I think that's how it goes ;) I have it marked to be at 19" now. My wife wanted it lower for the shelf that will be above the lights. 20" was too high, but 19" was acceptable :p should give me enough wiggle room.

Planning on 2 kessil ap700 for lighting now. 7-9" above the water.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back