Comparing Overflow boxes | Synergy Reef vs Modular Marine

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First let’s look at the front skim box dimensions.

Synergy Reef: 16″ x 1.6″ x 5.5″

Modular Marine: 16" x 1.125" x 5"

Now the rear drain box dimensions.

Synergy Reef: 16″ x 3.75″ x 7″

Modular Marine: 16" x 3.75" x 7"

Materials and features of both overflow boxes:

Synergy Reef Material:

Our proprietary new polymer blend overflow is 100% injection molded. It’s Seamless with a translucent Black Hi-Tech Polymer. This means that every overflow will be exactly the same. Being injection molded also means no glued seams that can leak, it is truly a “One Piece” design. We are the only company that injection molds this style overflow system. Injection molding and precision 3D CAD designed components allows us more details and features than flat stock built overflows. This Poly-carbonate material is bulletproof. They are practically indestructible!

Features:

*100% injection molded

*One Piece design*

*Precision 3D CAD designed components*

*VTeeth*
Our new Velocity Teeth allow for an even surface skimming flow into the overflow. This maximizes the surface skimming capabilities of the overflow as the flow rate increases. This also allows us to have a very small water level differential. Injection molded VTeeth™ are smooth without any rough surfaces, this provides a continuous smooth flow.

*U-Flow Pipes*
We have designed these fittings to maximize space inside of the outside rear overflow box. These compact fittings are not available off the shelf anywhere else. They allow us to fit our 1.5″ Fittings into such a small space.

*Water Tight Locking Rear Cover*
Our poly-carbonate rear box cover is not just a rectangle piece of material. It is a feature that was specifically designed to have a function and structure. We have designed the rear cover to lock in place when attached. It also features an exclusive channel system to keep water inside the rear box. No other overflow on the market can compare their lids to these!

*Locking, Snap Fit Weir*
Removable locking weir for easy maintenance and cleaning. We have designed a simple slide fit that allow for a smooth action when removing the weir in tight spots under the trim on your tank. This means ZERO Clearance is needed to remove the weir when installed under a braced tank! This is a non-magnetic locking weir design that snaps into place.

Modular Marine Material:

One main advantage of our design that no one else has is if you close your drain valves our exterior box will not overflow. This is because our exterior plumbing box mounts at the same height as the skimmer box. All the other designs on the market have an exterior box that is mounted well below the skimmer box so if you shut the drain valves the exterior box will overflow.

Features:

*Entire skimmer box pulls off for easy cleaning*

*Slimmest and shortest skimmer box on the market*

*This design keeps water line hidden behind trim*

*Works with rimless, eurobrace, and standard trim aquariums*

*Rear box has new notched design to fit over trim so both boxes are mounted at the same height*

*Countersunk lids made from poly-carbonate for both boxes*

*Professionally fabricated from CNC machined parts*

*1/4"and 3/8" cell cast acrylic (high quality)*

*1/4"poly-carbonate lids will never bow or warp*

*Bent front corners on both boxes (no seams)*

*Polished edges*

*Perimeter braced exterior box*

*100% water tight joints*

A few pictures of both (picture courtesy/credit to both companies websites)
29C238E1-0922-49CD-839D-C2E00A4BC241.jpeg
89E18B34-9E86-464F-8627-B11C2EE3AE16.jpeg
A18EEC3E-58EF-4C53-BD0D-EB9C5031FF77.jpeg
DAAF4383-DB07-44AD-92B5-0D55A1C31DCB.jpeg
BE52B6A7-5452-4D0A-AC36-EBD5666C8251.jpeg
1195DEAD-F361-4036-8541-6C85622C95AE.jpeg
41A211AD-B34D-4CA5-9E9F-185FEDF4EFD8.jpeg

D72C4520-BAE8-4017-812C-88F7A83A0699.jpeg
A24B0486-038D-4D63-BC12-87E05B9E39AA.jpeg
BB3F742B-DE90-4441-A83E-8F2958D323A6.jpeg

My conclusion:
I like both. :) I feel both have advantages. They did a fantastic job designing these.

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First let’s look at the front skim box dimensions.

Synergy Reef: 16″ x 1.6″ x 5.5″

Modular Marine: 16" x 1.125" x 5"

Now the rear drain box dimensions.

Synergy Reef: 16″ x 3.75″ x 7″

Modular Marine: 16" x 3.75" x 7"

Materials and features of both overflow boxes:

Synergy Reef Material:

Our proprietary new polymer blend overflow is 100% injection molded. It’s Seamless with a translucent Black Hi-Tech Polymer. This means that every overflow will be exactly the same. Being injection molded also means no glued seams that can leak, it is truly a “One Piece” design. We are the only company that injection molds this style overflow system. Injection molding and precision 3D CAD designed components allows us more details and features than flat stock built overflows. This Poly-carbonate material is bulletproof. They are practically indestructible!

Features:

*100% injection molded

*One Piece design*

*Precision 3D CAD designed components*

*VTeeth*
Our new Velocity Teeth allow for an even surface skimming flow into the overflow. This maximizes the surface skimming capabilities of the overflow as the flow rate increases. This also allows us to have a very small water level differential. Injection molded VTeeth™ are smooth without any rough surfaces, this provides a continuous smooth flow.

*U-Flow Pipes*
We have designed these fittings to maximize space inside of the outside rear overflow box. These compact fittings are not available off the shelf anywhere else. They allow us to fit our 1.5″ Fittings into such a small space.

*Water Tight Locking Rear Cover*
Our poly-carbonate rear box cover is not just a rectangle piece of material. It is a feature that was specifically designed to have a function and structure. We have designed the rear cover to lock in place when attached. It also features an exclusive channel system to keep water inside the rear box. No other overflow on the market can compare their lids to these!

*Locking, Snap Fit Weir*
Removable locking weir for easy maintenance and cleaning. We have designed a simple slide fit that allow for a smooth action when removing the weir in tight spots under the trim on your tank. This means ZERO Clearance is needed to remove the weir when installed under a braced tank! This is a non-magnetic locking weir design that snaps into place.

Modular Marine Material:

One main advantage of our design that no one else has is if you close your drain valves our exterior box will not overflow. This is because our exterior plumbing box mounts at the same height as the skimmer box. All the other designs on the market have an exterior box that is mounted well below the skimmer box so if you shut the drain valves the exterior box will overflow.

Features:

*Entire skimmer box pulls off for easy cleaning*

*Slimmest and shortest skimmer box on the market*

*This design keeps water line hidden behind trim*

*Works with rimless, eurobrace, and standard trim aquariums*

*Rear box has new notched design to fit over trim so both boxes are mounted at the same height*

*Countersunk lids made from poly-carbonate for both boxes*

*Professionally fabricated from CNC machined parts*

*1/4"and 3/8" cell cast acrylic (high quality)*

*1/4"poly-carbonate lids will never bow or warp*

*Bent front corners on both boxes (no seams)*

*Polished edges*

*Perimeter braced exterior box*

*100% water tight joints*

A few pictures of both (picture courtesy/credit to both companies websites)
29C238E1-0922-49CD-839D-C2E00A4BC241.jpeg
89E18B34-9E86-464F-8627-B11C2EE3AE16.jpeg
A18EEC3E-58EF-4C53-BD0D-EB9C5031FF77.jpeg
DAAF4383-DB07-44AD-92B5-0D55A1C31DCB.jpeg
BE52B6A7-5452-4D0A-AC36-EBD5666C8251.jpeg
1195DEAD-F361-4036-8541-6C85622C95AE.jpeg
41A211AD-B34D-4CA5-9E9F-185FEDF4EFD8.jpeg

D72C4520-BAE8-4017-812C-88F7A83A0699.jpeg
A24B0486-038D-4D63-BC12-87E05B9E39AA.jpeg
BB3F742B-DE90-4441-A83E-8F2958D323A6.jpeg

My conclusion:
I like both. :) I feel both have advantages. They did a fantastic job designing these.

I like both as well, hard to choose the right one to use. Look forward to seeing which one you decided to go with.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like both as well, hard to choose the right one to use. Look forward to seeing which one you decided to go with.

One thing I like about the Synergy back box is that the lid snaps in place and will not bow. The previous model I had the lid bowed and there was salt creep. This one shouldn’t have much salt creep since it’s air tight.

You can’t beat high quality cast acrylic though!

I’m sure that injection molded material is great quality too.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One question if anybody knows:

I’m not sure why a lot of these companies stagger the front and back box? Does it matter? I don’t see a reason why they can’t be even with each other. I do know the back box is better if it’s deeper. At least 6-7 inches. I found that out the hard way. They don’t drain well if it’s too short and they can overflow.

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually was in the same boat when choosing an overflow. I went with modular marine because I needed a custom box due to my tank manufacturers hole spacing requirements. Their customer service was really great also. Actually got an email back at 2:00am in the morning. I wasn’t expecting that. I will say when I received the overflow I was thoroughly impressed with the craftsmanship. Thing is built like a tank. The only think I wished they’d incorporated in their new design which has the removable weir, is a better way to seal it when inserted in the 1 1/2 bulkheads. They could have simply cut a groove in the pvc for an O ring. It is a really tight fit though. And it would take days I’m guessing for any water to seep around the fittings. They can however make their old sealed design. I think synergy stepped up their materials from the old model also which is a good thing. I think you’d be happy with both!!! Good luck on your decision.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m not sure why a lot of these companies stagger the front and back box? Does it matter? I don’t see a reason why they can’t be even with each other. I do know the back box is better if it’s deeper. At least 6-7 inches. I found that out the hard way. They don’t drain well if it’s too short and they can overflow.
The external overflow is designed by some to be lower to accommodate plastic rimmed tanks. Personally it’s a flawed design and it means that your tank overflow will never be truly quiet because you’ll always hear the drop of the water from the tank level to the overflow level. The overflow level will always be lower because the standpipes can’t be high enough in the external box.

I have a modular marine overflow and have no complaints.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, it’s a tough decision. I will say my MM overflow is absolutely a thing of beauty. Functionality of course is more important but mines not running yet so.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only think I wished they’d incorporated in their new design which has the removable weir, is a better way to seal it when inserted in the 1-1/2 bulkheads.

Not sure I’m understand this part. Are you saying the skim box weir attaches to the flange of the bulkheads inside the box somehow?

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The external overflow is designed by some to be lower to accommodate plastic rimmed tanks. Personally it’s a flawed design and it means that your tank overflow will never be truly quiet because you’ll always hear the drop of the water from the tank level to the overflow level. The overflow level will always be lower because the standpipes can’t be high enough in the external box.

I have a modular marine overflow and have no complaints.

Yeah, I’ve definitely heard that on a few tanks. I’m glad modular marine stepped it up and has a better design for that now. I always run rimless tanks now so I forgot about that.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, it’s a tough decision. I will say my MM overflow is absolutely a thing of beauty. Functionality of course is more important but mines not running yet so.

Does anybody find that the super slim box on the MM restricts flow? It seems that it would slow it down a little. 1.1” is a lot different than 1.6” and most that I’ve had have been 1.5” or more. Not sure it matters.

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

[/QUOTE
Not sure I’m understand this part. Are you saying the skim box weir attaches to the flange of the bulkheads inside the box somehow?
The Internal box is removable. It inserts inside the bulkeads. I wished they had notched a groove all the way around each pvc fitting so you could snap an O ring into place. This would have made a perfectly water tight seal. Here’s a pic.
A83F9D84-3127-406D-A1BC-5B45E0E873C9.jpeg

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Internal box is removable. It inserts inside the bulkeads. I wished they had notched a groove all the way around each pvc fitting so you could snap an O ring into place. This would have made a perfectly water tight seal. Here’s a pic.

Ok, I see. So it just plugs into the bulkheads and others like Synergy actually build the bulkheads into the skim box.

Hoesntly that seal should be pretty good. It doesn’t have to be water tight because it’s not a high flow/ high pressure application. I think it will be fine.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So is the weir removable too? Or do you just remove the entire skim box.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just the internal box with teeth is removable.

Ok. I don’t think I would like that. I used to remove only my weir with the tank running. Having to remove the entire box you’d have to shut down the system. On a positive note, you could clean behind the overflow box. I always wanted to be able to do that.

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I don’t think I would like that. I used to remove only my weir with the tank running. Having to remove the entire box you’d have to shut down the system. On a positive note, you could clean behind the overflow box. I always wanted to be able to do that.
Yeah, I guess they made it removable so you could clean out teeth really well and also around the bulkhead fittings. I’m not sure I’m going to be removing it very often to clean really. I think the fiji cubes Overflows are removable like this also.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 32 37.2%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 14 16.3%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back