Compatible Wrasses and how many?

carpe_diem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a 310 gallon mixed reef tank with a cleaner and fire shrimp. We currently a variety of fish including 2 wrasses:

• Splendid Pintail Fairy Wrasse(Cirrhilabrus isosceles)
  • Adorned wrasse (halichoeres cosmetus)
We currently have no issues with either, though I would say the splendid pintail is a voracious eater and holds his own in the tank. LFS has a McCosker's flasher wrasse, Paracheilinus mccoskeri.

Would that be a good, compatible addition? Would also like a Melanarus wrasse, Halichoeres melanurus? Could we do all 4:

• McCosker's flasher wrasse (Paracheilinus mccoskeri)
  • Melanarus wrasse (Halichoeres melanurus)

Other options considering:
  • Scotts' wrasse, Cirrhilabrus scottorum
  • Ruby Head Ferry wrasse, Cirrhilabrus cf cyanopleura

I would say 4 wrasses is the goal. With the 2 we have, considering size and mixed reef with inverts, which 4 would you recommend?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a 310 gallon mixed reef tank with a cleaner and fire shrimp. We currently a variety of fish including 2 wrasses:

We currently have no issues with either, though I would say the splendid pintail is a voracious eater and holds his own in the tank. LFS has a McCosker's flasher wrasse, Paracheilinus mccoskeri.

Would that be a good, compatible addition? Would also like a Melanarus wrasse, Halichoeres melanurus? Could we do all 4:

I would say 4 wrasses is the goal. With the 2 we have, considering size and mixed reef with inverts, which 4 would you recommend?
What are the dimensions and what are the other tankmates?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In a Tank that size you could have dozens of wrasse.
The McCoskers and most flashers are quite shy however so if you want one I would get an acclimation box.
Any Halichoeres would also work though I suggest ones smaller than 6’ at full grown. Melanurus is cool but Halichoeres marginatus is a prettier alternative. I also love H iridis, H melasmopomus, H chrysus, H timorensis, and H rubricephalus.
Fairy wrasse have a nice chart. Scottorum are unfortunately very aggressive but this chart will show you the best options:
IMG_5015.png

Leopard and tamarin wrasse are also great community fish but be warned that they can be very sensitive at first and I only get one if I see it healthy and eating at an LFS.
All leopard species are roughly the same. They are all pretty and have the same care.
For tamarins I have found that A meleagrides, and A neoguinaicus are the prettiest but also easier than many of the others.
A final suggestion is xenojulis margaritaceus which is like a leopard but maybe a bit easier.

These are all suggestions for a peaceful tank. If you are planning a tank with larger and more aggressive fish I would give you a very different list.

Some photos from my suggestions:

Attachments

• IMG_3102.jpeg
    IMG_3102.jpeg
    150.2 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_3165.jpeg
    IMG_3165.jpeg
    201.7 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_3519.jpeg
    IMG_3519.jpeg
    170.6 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_3786.jpeg
    IMG_3786.jpeg
    189.5 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_2247.jpeg
    IMG_2247.jpeg
    321.8 KB · Views: 81
OP
OP
C

carpe_diem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The McCoskers and most flashers are quite shy however so if you want one I would get an acclimation box.
Any Halichoeres would also work though I suggest ones smaller than 6’ at full grown. Melanurus is cool but Halichoeres marginatus is a prettier alternative. I also love H iridis, H melasmopomus, H chrysus, H timorensis, and H rubricephalus.
Fairy wrasse have a nice chart. Scottorum are unfortunately very aggressive but this chart will show you the best options:
IMG_5015.png

Leopard and tamarin wrasse are also great community fish but be warned that they can be very sensitive at first and I only get one if I see it healthy and eating at an LFS.
All leopard species are roughly the same. They are all pretty and have the same care.
For tamarins I have found that A meleagrides, and A neoguinaicus are the prettiest but also easier than many of the others.
A final suggestion is xenojulis margaritaceus which is like a leopard but maybe a bit easier.

These are all suggestions for a peaceful tank. If you are planning a tank with larger and more aggressive fish I would give you a very different list.

This is great! Thank you!

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5015.png

What’s the trade name on the blue, green. Orange one?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the trade name on the blue, green. Orange one?
Dusky margined, Halichoeres marginatus. I find it looks completely different in blue light versus white light but for me that just makes it cooler.
IMG_3544.jpeg

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Dusky margined, Halichoeres marginatus. I find it looks completely different in blue light versus white light but for me that just makes it cooler.
IMG_3544.jpeg
Now I need to go come and break out my camera for Lemmy..

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3544.jpeg
Looks similar to my blue star leopard… I run my tank very white with halides, fish look amazing in it lol.. besides the dusk and dawn is blue.. I’ll have to see if any lfs ever get them to check out in person.. looks pretty cool!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks similar to my blue star leopard… I run my tank very white with halides, fish look amazing in it lol.. besides the dusk and dawn is blue.. I’ll have to see if any lfs ever get them to check out in person.. looks pretty cool!
Yeah
It’s beautiful. Honestly not a wrasse I wanted. It was sent to me by accident from WWC. I sent them a grumpy email but then apologized a day later because I realized this wrasse was way better then the one I wanted.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back