Conch poop

CornishCrustyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I added my first cuc to my tank. Tanks about 2 months old and the most algae and detritus build up was on the sandbed and a little on the rocks so I added 2 conchs and 2 red legged hermits just to start off.

Wow conch are amazing right?!?!
However they are pooping like crazy its like a farmer when they are bailing. Clean a patch then leave a ball of sh@#%

Is there any other cuc I could introduce to help break it down or will the pods and stuff take care of it?

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I added my first cuc to my tank. Tanks about 2 months old and the most algae and detritus build up was on the sandbed and a little on the rocks so I added 2 conchs and 2 red legged hermits just to start off.

Wow conch are amazing right?!?!
However they are pooping like crazy its like a farmer when they are bailing. Clean a patch then leave a ball of sh@#%

Is there any other cuc I could introduce to help break it down or will the pods and stuff take care of it?
nope -- nothing really "eats" poop in regards to what are referring too. The water will naturally break it down as well as microfauna (like pods) will over time too.

If you haven't already - I would recommend dosing some pods. You don't need to go crazy, but they can help make a more balanced environment for sure :)

OP
OP
CornishCrustyCorals

CornishCrustyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah I have plenty of pods in the system must have had some on the live rock i got from the LFS and when there was nothing to eat them they seemed to have got busy now I see them all over when the lights are out. Got a few limpets bristleworms also.

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh yeah I have plenty of pods in the system must have had some on the live rock i got from the LFS and when there was nothing to eat them they seemed to have got busy now I see them all over when the lights are out. Got a few limpets bristleworms also.
my conch poops like there is no tomorrow. You could get some snails to help stir up the substrate (which would help visually) but they won't eat it. Otherwise it is just nature being nature lol

BrunoL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old thread but I just wanted to hop on this as well. Just got my first conch and the farmer bailing is exactly the right metaphor. My conch cruises through the sand and leaves behind a nice little poop roll at pretty much regular intervals. :p

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 154 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back