Controller fell in water

boise brewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Nero 3 controller fell in water while I was at work plugged in. All my corals, anatomies, etc., are all closed up. My fish seem to be fine when I pulled the controller out of the water and unplugged it it instantly started to spark and an orange substance poured out. I did, 30% change changed out all my filter media and added carbon. Any other recommendations please help.

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Nero 3 controller fell in water while I was at work plugged in. All my corals, anatomies, etc., are all closed up. My fish seem to be fine when I pulled the controller out of the water and unplugged it it instantly started to spark and an orange substance poured out. I did, 30% change changed out all my filter media and added carbon. Any other recommendations please help.
I might be wrong but what immediately comes to mind for me when I hear electronics and water and orange substance I think battery goo. But, when I hear plugged in electrical device falls into salt water and then is safely removed from water before being unplugged what immediately comes to mind for me is troll post.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might be wrong but what immediately comes to mind for me when I hear electronics and water and orange substance I think battery goo. But, when I hear plugged in electrical device falls into salt water and then is safely removed from water before being unplugged what immediately comes to mind for me is troll post.
Wondered about that too but wasnt sure if the was waterproofed being for aquariums and all lol which I know is unlikely

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orange substance is probably copper oxide from the PCB...

Your main heavy metal pollutant woud be copper...

OP
OP
B

boise brewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did any of the substance you mentioned get in the water at all?
Very little most of it landed on the glass was able to wipe it up. It did come out where the power supply plugs in when I unplugged it. I just don’t know if It was leaching out while I was at work.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I I hear plugged in electrical device falls into salt water and then is safely removed from water before being unplugged what immediately comes to mind for me is troll post.
it is a troll post because they didn’t unplug it first?

As Borat indicated, the orange is likely oxidization from the PCB and/or any metal parts like screws or component cases and contacts (dc jack, buttons, etc).

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As Borat indicated, the orange is likely oxidization from the PCB and/or any metal parts like screws or component cases and contacts (dc jack, buttons, etc).
Ive seen stranger things happen, but, in my mind, a story on the internet about an electrical device being submerged long enough to leak from components, also being manually removed from salt water, while still receiving live power enough for it to spark afterward, without harm, might not have actually happened. If it did actually happen, any advice id have would be forget the fish tank please be more careful in the future that could have been deadly.

OP
OP
B

boise brewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not a troll post pulled it out by the wire, then unplugged it. Thanks for the help

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive seen stranger things happen, but, in my mind, a story on the internet about an electrical device being submerged long enough to leak from components, also being manually removed from salt water, while still receiving live power enough for it to spark afterward, without harm, might not have actually happened. If it did actually happen, any advice id have would be forget the fish tank please be more careful in the future that could have been deadly.
I think you may need a tinfoil hat ;)

In any case, the device in question is a low voltage DC device. But, as it were most peoples reaction to something falling in the water or finding it in the water is to reflexively yank it out.

OP
OP
B

boise brewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So some of my corals are starting to come back and enemies starting to look better definitely gonna have to do probably a couple more water changes to get whatever’s in the tank out. Anything else I can use besides carbon to remove copper/hard metals.

Attachments

• IMG_4143.jpeg
    IMG_4143.jpeg
    106.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4142.jpeg
    IMG_4142.jpeg
    142.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4141.jpeg
    IMG_4141.jpeg
    135.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4140.jpeg
    IMG_4140.jpeg
    157.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4139.jpeg
    IMG_4139.jpeg
    150.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4138.jpeg
    IMG_4138.jpeg
    136.5 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 27

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So let me get this straight - Person signs up for this site and comes here for help with a very simple post about dropping something in their tank and the take form at least two of you is that they are an insincere troll or an immature child. And worse, you are talking about them right in front of their faces. Insanity.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So some of my corals are starting to come back and enemies starting to look better definitely gonna have to do probably a couple more water changes to get whatever’s in the tank out. Anything else I can use besides carbon to remove copper/hard metals.
If you are concerned, a copper test may be helpful. I am not sure how accurate they are. I am also not sure how effective cuprisorb is. If the orange was from iron oxide (rust) then there should be no issue.

You can take the controller apart and see what turned orange.

The low voltage DC would have likely generated electrolysis - that is where the rapid oxidization (copper, zinc, iron) would have come from. The DC plug and socket do like like electrolysis occurred. I suspect that both are zinc plated steel.

Water changes will not hurt. Maybe an ICP test if you are very concerned.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So let me get this straight - Person signs up for this site and comes here for help with a very simple post about dropping something in their tank and the take form at least two of you is that they are an insincere troll or an immature child. And worse, you are talking about them right in front of their faces. Insanity.
This. Agreed.

Folks, please remember our TOS and refrain from insulting others. Personal attacks and unfiltered criticism may be common on other social media, but here, we ask everyone to operate by the Golden Rule and treat others with dignity and respect. We actually have a "Be Nice" rule.

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pointing out that something seems pretty far fetched and that if it wasnt made up could have been a dangerous situation is being not nice? Theres been threads that were nothing but crap flinging and name calling, quite recently, that went on for 20 pages. What isnt nice is ignoring that if it did actually happen sticking a hand in a tank with a live electrical current in it could have been deadly, and if urging personal safety is a tos violation then ban me because I'll do it again.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pointing out that something seems pretty far fetched and that if it wasnt made up could have been a dangerous situation is being not nice? Theres been threads that were nothing but crap flinging and name calling, quite recently, that went on for 20 pages. What isnt nice is ignoring that if it did actually happen sticking a hand in a tank with a live electrical current in it could have been deadly, and if urging personal safety is a tos violation then ban me because I'll do it again.
The issue wasn't warning about personal safety. Please reread my post. If you find examples of other places where there is offensive behavior ("crap flinging and name calling"), please report those and we will do our best to address those things.

ptrusk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything else I can use besides carbon to remove copper/hard metals.

Most LFS carry these as does Amazon

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100%, was a little surprised people thought that. I was curious about them being able to pull it out right away without being shocked. Im very glad OP wasnt shocked, that was my initial concern!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 19.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 131 76.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.5%
Back