• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Copepods FS - $15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Do you culture your own phyto too? I'm trying to find a cheap source, reef nutrition is a little expensive...

OP
OP
hollback

hollback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Yes, I culture my own. I've found that you can get a balance of phytoplankton in the culture tanks and both the copepods and the photo will thrive on each other creating a nice little closed system for a little while. The trick is knowing when they will crash.

Swine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I culture my own. I've found that you can get a balance of phytoplankton in the culture tanks and both the copepods and the photo will thrive on each other creating a nice little closed system for a little while. The trick is knowing when they will crash.

Yeah that is what I have found with the tiny 5-8oz bottles. Any advice on water changes/ knowing when its going to crash?

edit: if you have a bottle or two left I'll take them.

OP
OP
hollback

hollback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
take my moneY!!!!! put me in line if someone backs out! :)

Yeah that is what I have found with the tiny 5-8oz bottles. Any advice on water changes/ knowing when its going to crash?

edit: if you have a bottle or two left I'll take them.

I'll have to see if I have any left tomorrow and get back to you two.

My cultures seem to peak at about the 8 week mark. Another week or so and I start having them crash but I never let it happen. I usually completely drain, clean and restart the cultures then.

Swine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for answering all my questions so far!

I've got another one! Do you use ClorAm-X or something like it to get rid of amonia?

OP
OP
hollback

hollback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Thanks for answering all my questions so far!

I've got another one! Do you use ClorAm-X or something like it to get rid of ammonia?

No problem at all. I don't use anything other than water changes. Little, buggers are surprisingly hardy.

anizato

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you just add plankton?
Like: water change but instead of adding saltwater you replenish the volume with phytoplankton?

OP
OP
hollback

hollback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
So you just add plankton?
Like: water change but instead of adding saltwater you replenish the volume with phytoplankton?

No, the salinity would increase. I restart the cultures with fresh saltwater and add phytoplankton and copepods. After about a week I add more phytoplankton and then the phyto and pods feed off each other for the remainder of the time. After 8 weeks I harvest. I top off the cultures every few days.

You have any more?? Im tired of paying retail prices.

Sorry, I'm out. I will let you know when I have more.

anizato

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you handle/carry Copepods? How do you start fresh batches of Copepods?

I want to grow 1/2gal of Phytoplankton (which grows on its own) and 1gal "the city" of Copepods (which eat Phyto & Ulva Lettuce), in a DIY cupboard + "the house" of copepods in the 1/2 gal HOB Refugium.

Say you want to clean the copepod tank water out, how is it that you do that? and how do you transfer them to your Display or Refugium?

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

Singlefin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested next time you have some available. Thanks

OP
OP
hollback

hollback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
How do you handle/carry Copepods? How do you start fresh batches of Copepods?

I want to grow 1/2gal of Phytoplankton (which grows on its own) and 1gal "the city" of Copepods (which eat Phyto & Ulva Lettuce), in a DIY cupboard + "the house" of copepods in the 1/2 gal HOB Refugium.

Say you want to clean the copepod tank water out, how is it that you do that? and how do you transfer them to your Display or Refugium?

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

Good question. I guess I never addressed that. I have a 4" piece of 1.5" thick PVC with 50 micron screen stretched over one end. I siphon the cultures through this collection cup to separate them from the nasty culture water.

Interested next time you have some available. Thanks

Got it.

Sounds good.

7hogwarts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please add me to the list when available. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 8 10.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 32.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back