Copper treatment for very small orange striped prawn goby

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've brought home a juvenile orange striped prawn goby along with a firefish goby. The prawn goby is probably 1/2- 3/4 of an inch in size. Both fish seem healthy and are eating. They show no outward signs of disease or parasites.

I have copper power as well as a hanna copper checker.

They will be going into a new, empty nano tank. No other fish to impact. My question is, will the orange stripe goby tolerate a copper safe treatment? Being that I am putting them into a tank with no other fish, is it worth the risk to treat a fish this small? I don't want to lose him in quarantine, because there are no other fish to protect in the empty display, and likely never will be. If treating him is risky, I would rather accept the risk of just putting him into the new display.

Feedback appreciated, thanks.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I've brought home a juvenile orange striped prawn goby along with a firefish goby. The prawn goby is probably 1/2- 3/4 of an inch in size. Both fish seem healthy and are eating. They show no outward signs of disease or parasites.

I have copper power as well as a hanna copper checker.

They will be going into a new, empty nano tank. No other fish to impact. My question is, will the orange stripe goby tolerate a copper safe treatment? Being that I am putting them into a tank with no other fish, is it worth the risk to treat a fish this small? I don't want to lose him in quarantine, because there are no other fish to protect in the empty display, and likely never will be. If treating him is risky, I would rather accept the risk of just putting him into the new display.

Feedback appreciated, thanks.
Gobies tolerate copper well but the higher risk in quarantine is them jumping, so cover the tank as best as you can. As for copper, treat at 2.2-2.4 treatment level. Why the weird numbers- Copper starts to work at 2.0 and you dont want to go too high in the event the test results are a little off. Provide added aeration and maintain good water quality.

OP
OP
A

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gobies tolerate copper well but the higher risk in quarantine is them jumping, so cover the tank as best as you can. As for copper, treat at 2.2-2.4 treatment level. Why the weird numbers- Copper starts to work at 2.0 and you dont want to go too high in the event the test results are a little off. Provide added aeration and maintain good water quality.
Thanks, the tank is covered and has a filter and an air stone.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks, the tank is covered and has a filter and an air stone.
If filter has carbon, be sure to remove carbon, otherwise you should be set

OP
OP
A

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If filter has carbon, be sure to remove carbon, otherwise you should be set
Will do. It's running with carbon right now. Because they seem healthy I'm giving them a few days to chill before I treat them to get over the stress of the move. When I add copper I will take the carbon out.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 79 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back