Coral growing contest!!!

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking 3 months and photos are going to have to include a code word, date, etc..
I think 3 months would be a good time frame.Having a code object(similar to the Nano in 90 contest) would eliminate cheating.The frags would have to be from same colony ideally.Although it might be possible to compete with common zoas that are readily available.Also fixing the drags to identical plugs would be beneficial.

SeeingGreen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are running a contest with a purchased colony flagged in our local club. By buying in we all have a stake. Pictures needed every three months (chalice) so slow. I think longer term and better understanding of you style of husbandry offer greater benefit to the community than 3mo grow. Growth and sustainable method is IMHO better than rapid initial growth but long term problems.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using sponsors who donate corals would be great as all corals used in the category will be same coral type and size.
Weekly pic updates or as many as you want.
At the end of grow out contest corals will be used for auction by R2R for the annual fundraising "toys for kids" (or any other cause for that matter)
Always a win/win event.

Last edited:

jzaso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting with fresh cut and glued frags-no encrusting to the plug fresh??

Prozium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when I saw this thread I thought "get a vender to sell the frags at a discount (maybe $5-$10 for each category +shipping ) that way we would all start with the same coral. (and said vender isn't just out 3+ full colonies) For the code word or whatever Rev does, maybe make an e-mail list for all who enter and send them a direct e-mail with the code/reminder that it's time for a new growth pic.(will likely help keep people reminded of the contest they have slightly invested in. <- noting the quote below)

I don't have much money myself but depending on when this starts, I might be in for 1 or 2 of the categories.

we kind of tried this with sps about two years ago. it was pretty organized at first and i cut up a large aussie colony and sent free frags to anyone who wanted in. this was the inital thread

https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/general-sps-discussion/81738-sps-growth-challenge-anyone-14.html

well after a week or two at most the posts stopped and that was that. totally fizzled. enthusisam was really high at first but i thinbk it was just too much work for people at the end of the day.

still like the idea though and would love to see it happen again.

that's unfortunate. Hmm I didn't reed that whole thread but, it would seem there needs to be an easy way to make the update. A vid is a lot of work fore some people. (video being one of the suggestions from that thread.)

Last edited:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 21 16.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 89 67.9%
  • Neither.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back