Coral grows sideways

Wash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20240330_195227.jpg

The coral I bought today is growing sideways. What should I do?

I don't want to cut

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did it move after you put it in? or was it like that when you got it. Pretty much put it wher you want it and leave it alone. As long as you put it where it gets the proper light and flow it will be ok. If lighting or flow are not to its liking and in the case of some soft corals it will move, angle shrink or expand to get what it wants.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you show the pic of the whole coral, not just the flowing polyps?

The way it grows depends on its position and the light and the flow. If you only put it in your tank today, then you need to give it time to adjust to your tank.

OP
OP
W

Wash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did it move after you put it in? or was it like that when you got it. Pretty much put it wher you want it and leave it alone. As long as you put it where it gets the proper light and flow it will be ok. If lighting or flow are not to its liking and in the case of some soft corals it will move, angle shrink or expand to get what it wants.
It's been like this since I got this. Will the right flow and light surface coral grow back in a straight line?

OP
OP
W

Wash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you show the pic of the whole coral, not just the flowing polyps?

The way it grows depends on its position and the light and the flow. If you only put it in your tank today, then you need to give it time to adjust to your tank.
The corals in the picture were brought in today and the ones they had are growing in a straight line

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The corals in the picture were brought in today and the ones they had are growing in a straight line
You put it sideways on the sand, thats why.

Put it straight up in a stable position, you might need to buy some reef putty to help you. Or else wedge it in between 2 rocks so that its standing straight up. It will eventually root itself into position and start growing, but you should not leave it like that.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coral will grow to suit conditions. Just put it right side up, provide what it needs and don't worry about it. Similar to plants and trees. It's part of the beauty, no 2 will be identical

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orient the frag plug so the "stalk" of the coral faces up. The head will point toward the light kind of like a sun flower. You currently have the "stalk" facing horizontal to the substrate. You may need to brace it with rocks, you can use super glue gel or coral putty to attach the frag plug to rock.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 36.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 13.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back