Coral help!

laurinamarie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! So our tank is pretty new but so far has been doing good. We have two small clown fish, a blue tang, a porcupine puffer, and a peony's niger trigger. We also have quite a few corals. The fish have been doing great, but the corals not so much. Please I don't know what's happening or what to do!!!! I need guidance. Oh also, we live in San Diego and get our water from the ocean. We just did a big water change two days ago.

32678567-3785-463E-B351-FCE47AF898A7.jpeg 5728AE33-CAC5-472B-B289-9C71562F532D.jpeg 2FB5D8D1-DC12-49BB-9E78-3943EAF289E9.jpeg 6F7D8907-013F-4E36-BE4D-A5DB324C3CFA.jpeg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You tank is prob not stable enough for corals. Maybe your lighting not strong enough.
You should post your numbers.
And what sort of lighting you have and the schedule you have it on.

OP
OP
laurinamarie

laurinamarie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You tank is prob not stable enough for corals. Maybe your lighting not strong enough.
You should post your numbers.
And what sort of lighting you have and the schedule you have it on.
Ok so we have TWO of those LED lights we use on our tank. What schedule should we have it on? Honestly I don't really know our levels either. This was originally my husbands thing but he's not super detail oriented and now I'm picking up the slack and learning as I go. He got these test strips to test the water but it doesn't show specific levels. Just turns a certain color to see how close we are to the ideal color.
what should my levels be at?
How should I test for them?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 37
OP
OP
laurinamarie

laurinamarie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! So our tank is pretty new but so far has been doing good. We have two small clown fish, a blue tang, a porcupine puffer, and a peony's niger trigger. We also have quite a few corals. The fish have been doing great, but the corals not so much. Please I don't know what's happening or what to do!!!! I need guidance. Oh also, we live in San Diego and get our water from the ocean. We just did a big water change two days ago.

32678567-3785-463E-B351-FCE47AF898A7.jpeg 5728AE33-CAC5-472B-B289-9C71562F532D.jpeg 2FB5D8D1-DC12-49BB-9E78-3943EAF289E9.jpeg 6F7D8907-013F-4E36-BE4D-A5DB324C3CFA.jpeg
Odomus I'm
Ok so we have TWO of those LED lights we use on our tank. What schedule should we have it on? Honestly I don't really know our levels either. This was originally my husbands thing but he's not super detail oriented and now I'm picking up the slack and learning as I go. He got these test strips to test the water but it doesn't show specific levels. Just turns a certain color to see how close we are to the ideal color.
oh also it's a 55 gal. My husband just thought that since he could get his water from the ocean everything would be good cause how much more natural can you get? I don't really think that's the case tho

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my lights active 12 hours a day with a ramp up and down of about 1 1/2 hrs dusk /dawn. Not sure if your lights have that programability or not. Others have different schedules depending on preference and livestock considerations. As for the tests, let's start with the basics for now. Salinity is ok for time being as you take it from ocean, although I would assume you still have to top off with RODI water between changes? Somebody else can advise on this as I don't honestly know...
Nitrate, Phosphate, are the two basic big ones IMO. Your test strips likely give you Nitrate readings but are wildly inaccurate. I would recommend hitting your LFS and inquiring about a basic marine test kit, or simply purchase one of each for Nitrate and Phosphate. They will come with reagents to add to the test vial and you can compare numbers on a colour chart in many cases. Salifert is one they likely have, I prefer the Nyos brand. Really at the end of the day, you just need some simple testing done to point at potential problems. Later on you down the road you could invest in other testing for Alk, Calcium etc...
As for what your levels 'should be at ' you'll get different viewpoints as well. I like my Nitrates a bit lower around 5ppm and Phos below .15, others will have different opinions.

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also what is the rock I see in your tank? Natural ocean rock taken from your area? Dry rock that has or is cycling, or live rock (pre cured) . I'm not sure what those who utilize natural local California sea water would use or recommend in terms of rockwork but just putting it out there, could make a difference in your scenario.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full tank shot is helpful.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! So our tank is pretty new but so far has been doing good............
Sounds like you are off to a good start.
The lights should work and you could follow the advice above. ^ by CanuckReefer
If they ramp up and down and you can set the color (blue vs white vs red ectt.....) that would be great.
I would take a sample of the tank water to your LFS for testing. They can tell you what your levels are. If you buy some testing kits ask them how to use them right there in the store so you get the same readings as them ( or something close)
If you purchased the corals from them ask them what the alk and other levels are in the store tanks. It could be the change in water parameters thats got them down.
While ocean water is a good thing it can be a bad thing. It depends on where its collected.

OP
OP
laurinamarie

laurinamarie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also what is the rock I see in your tank? Natural ocean rock taken from your area? Dry rock that has or is cycling, or live rock (pre cured) . I'm not sure what those who utilize natural local California sea water would use or recommend in terms of rockwork but just putting it out there, could make a difference in your scenario.
Ya it's just rocks we got from the beach. How do the different rocks affect the tank? Do they make a difference in the levels? I didn't even think about that

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Trigger and puffer likely gnawing on the coral, and curiosity- How old is this tank?

OP
OP
laurinamarie

laurinamarie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Around a month. I know we're not supposed to add so many fish in such a short time but my husband was too impatient. So far I haven't noticed the puffer messing with them. My trigger never comes out either. Stays hidden behind the rocks. Only comes out at feeding time and even then he takes his food and eats in his hiding spot.

OP
OP
laurinamarie

laurinamarie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my lights active 12 hours a day with a ramp up and down of about 1 1/2 hrs dusk /dawn. Not sure if your lights have that programability or not. Others have different schedules depending on preference and livestock considerations. As for the tests, let's start with the basics for now. Salinity is ok for time being as you take it from ocean, although I would assume you still have to top off with RODI water between changes? Somebody else can advise on this as I don't honestly know...
Nitrate, Phosphate, are the two basic big ones IMO. Your test strips likely give you Nitrate readings but are wildly inaccurate. I would recommend hitting your LFS and inquiring about a basic marine test kit, or simply purchase one of each for Nitrate and Phosphate. They will come with reagents to add to the test vial and you can compare numbers on a colour chart in many cases. Salifert is one they likely have, I prefer the Nyos brand. Really at the end of the day, you just need some simple testing done to point at potential problems. Later on you down the road you could invest in other testing for Alk, Calcium etc...
As for what your levels 'should be at ' you'll get different viewpoints as well. I like my Nitrates a bit lower around 5ppm and Phos below .15, others will have different opinions.
This is so helpful, thank you!!

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya it's just rocks we got from the beach. How do the different rocks affect the tank? Do they make a difference in the levels? I didn't even think about that
I would think they could depending on type, many in your display look to be non porous, somebody else here will chime in with a more detailed answer that way...it was just something that came to mind...

OP
OP
laurinamarie

laurinamarie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think they could depending on type, many in your display look to be non porous, somebody else here will chime in with a more detailed answer that way...it was just something that came to mind...
Two of them are pretty porous. Came with a bunch of crabs and some other things. There's only a few crabs left, pretty sure the puffer got to most of them.

OP
OP
laurinamarie

laurinamarie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you start the tank? Did it cycle or did you take the rock and water and just add fish?
So first we got water and some rocks which came with some crabs and snails. Had that for about a week and then got our clowns. Then about another week and we added the rest of the fish. I know we were supposed to take it a bit slower

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 88 44.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 68 34.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 28 14.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back