First Reef

Stain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, thought I'd post up my first reef tank. I've been lurking for a while and decided to take the plunge. 20gal long, 10gal sump, hygger mini wavemaker, sca-301 skimmer, jebao dcp-3500 return pump, 2 Kessil a160we's.

DSCF2187.JPG

DSCF2184.JPG

DSCF2198.JPG

Currently has been running for a week and a half, clowns have been in for a week. Playing the waiting game now. If you have any tips/pointers, you screwed up, please let me know. Cheers and thanks for all the useful content.

DSCF2187.JPG DSCF2184.JPG

OP
OP
Stain

Stain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSCF2292.JPG

SPS has been in for two weeks now, most are encrusting, some are sprouting vertically. I need to figure out how to take pictures of it now hahah

RR Orange passion, RR pink caddilac, wwc little red ferrari, jf aqua delight, jf flame, blueberry wine, mr. pacman, forest fire digi and a pink birdsnest.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
DSCF2292.JPG

SPS has been in for two weeks now, most are encrusting, some are sprouting vertically. I need to figure out how to take pictures of it now hahah

RR Orange passion, RR pink caddilac, wwc little red ferrari, jf aqua delight, jf flame, blueberry wine, mr. pacman, forest fire digi and a pink birdsnest.
New dry rock tank and you have success with acros? People are going to loose their ****!

Congratulations buddy!

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your plumbing is clean and overall the set up is really fabulous.
I do think you are moving too fast though. Your dropping in acros when most people would not even be considered fully cycled? You still have the uglies to get through. Expect some losses, don't be discouraged.
I would recommend getting an ATO if you haven't already. Stability and patience ... my best advice. Nothing good happens fast in reefing.
Keep up the great work though ...
Bernie Sanders Friday GIF by Justin

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSCF2292.JPG

Really nice setup!

So you just skipped the softies and LPS stage eh? LOL good on ya and best of luck going forward ! :cool:

OP
OP
Stain

Stain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your plumbing is clean and overall the set up is really fabulous.
I do think you are moving too fast though. Your dropping in acros when most people would not even be considered fully cycled? You still have the uglies to get through. Expect some losses, don't be discouraged.
I would recommend getting an ATO if you haven't already. Stability and patience ... my best advice. Nothing good happens fast in reefing.
Keep up the great work though ...
Bernie Sanders Friday GIF by Justin
Thank you for the suggestions, much appreciated. I've gone thru diatoms, and have some dino's currently, but they seem under control. I have some spots of coraline forming as well. I have an ato coming, i've been doing it by hand, the tank has a 1/8in glass lid, and 95% of the sump is covered, so it doesnt loose a ton to evaporation. My lights are only running 25% intensity and 30% color at peak, will slowly work up the intensity depending on what the corals tell me. My philosophy for this tank was to give the 'uglies' something to compete with other than a dark tank for months. Happy friday

OP
OP
Stain

Stain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really nice setup!

So you just skipped the softies and LPS stage eh? LOL good on ya and best of luck going forward ! :cool:
Thank you. Yeah I skipped them, did months of research before setting this up. In the beginning I loved some softies, and certin lps, but half way thru planning got hooked on the complexities of keeping sps, and am hooked on Acro's now.

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Yeah I skipped them, did months of research before setting this up. In the beginning I loved some softies, and certin lps, but half way thru planning got hooked on the complexities of keeping sps, and am hooked on Acro's now.
Totally understand. My tank is only 2 1/2 months in, started with softies and a couple of LPS but a couple of weeks ago added a branching Monti and a cyphastrea and to be honest those are the 2 corals that get most of my attention even though they don't actually "do anything" LOL

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I do agree you technically are moving too fast. However I think it’s also good to do that to an extent. I did the same thing. Knew it was too fast. But there’s no better way to learn than to NEED to research things because you’ve got a coral that’s unhappy or something is going wrong. No substitute for that at all. You can read all the threads here and you’ll not truly absorb what’s being said until you’re going through it. I think I’ve learned faster by making myself deal with issues early instead of waiting months and having less issues in the beginning. It really forced me to pay attention and find and implement solutions. I never put a fish life at stake. But take careful risks. I may be in the minority with this view but I think for beginners it’s a great thing to do to make jumps before you’re ready. Also tank looks amazing.

OP
OP
Stain

Stain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally calibrated the doser and installed it. The dp-4 was a pain to calibrate to consistently dose 2ml. I dose 2ml 4 times a day, started at 5ml's a day. So much easier than setting four alarms in a day to go dose the tank lol. I also micro fragged my pink cadillac, went from one big frag to six little ones, and took most of the frags off plugs a few weeks ago. They are all encrusting on my rock work now.

I need a fiter for my camera, excuse the blue, thought this was cool. The forrest fire digi with about a month's growth.

DSCF2250.JPG

DSCF2442.JPG

Not too shabby for a new tank with new rock, all my acro's have noticeable growth and have encrusted a ton the last month. The bigr walt d and the rr op are having a height growth race, both have put on about a quarter inch in height, and have started to develop nice bases on the rocks. Cant wait to frag them to spread them around my tank more. Still slowly turning the lights up, im at 45% peak right now, corals are holding/coloring up very well. Full tank shot

DSCF2436.JPG

Also just received a sixline wrasse from Candy Corals, and two astrea snails. The wrasse is quite the character, inspects the acro's all day long. The clowns wont go near it, its really funny. Its been a blast so far, makes me wish I had of done the jump a decade sooner lol. Cheers

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 29 55.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 7.7%
Back