Coral hospital tank

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is probably not too interesting but after starting my first build thread I've discovered it's an awesome way to keep a journal and document the progress of a tank without having to try and sort through all the photos I have and make folders etc.

I have this 40g breeder set up and running with an aquaclear 110 hob filter and a power head and heat. The light mount is available at most local stores if anyone is wondering where I sourced them:beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
20220823_104021.jpg

I set it up to keep this peice of live rock alive.
Silly I suppose but the rock was harvested off the coast of Puerto Rico more than 6 years ago and was in my very first tank and has been wet ever since so I wanted to keep it live and it never hurts to have a spare cycled tank for emergencies.
20220823_104240.jpg

I am in the process of converting my reefer 170 to an sps dominant system and had to move several really nice lps peices out to my 180g tank to make room. Everything in the 180 is doing good. Montipora are growing great, which never happened in the past. Nems are healthy and current lps and softies are doing well. The issue is when I bring an lps peice out from the reefer 170 and put them in the 180g they just deflate and 2 lobos are starting to show skeleton. The parameters in the 2 tanks are very close so I'm not sure what's going on there. I have sent ICP tests in with samples from both tanks to try and figure out what the problem may be. In the mean time I decided to test this 40 gallon and see what the parameters are as it has been sitting with the no live stock for a couple of months. To my surprise they are pretty close to perfect for LPS so I have decided to move the struggling corals into that tank and see if I can nurse them back to health. This Trachyphyllia was deflated for 2 weeks in the 180g tank. It wasn't showing any skeleton and is one of my favorite peices so I decided to make room and put it back in the reefer 170. Lights are still ramping up so it isn't fully inflated but it did inflate fully less than 24 hours of being moved back in so something strange is going on in the 180g. Xr15 lights are in both with similar setting so it has to be water or else the somewhat large tangs are bothering things :thinking-face:
20220823_111757.jpg
I'll post pics of the struggling corals after I get them moved in. I'm heading out to get a fish to put in the 40g but not sure what I'll get. I'm hoping just to get a damsel or chromis but if there is a single cool fish that gets along with coral and would make a nice wet pet (like I need another one of those) I may come home with something other than a damsel or chromis. Hey I have a gift card from the LFS so why not buy a cool fish right? Maybe I'll see a nice wrasse that doesn't need sand lol. More to come

Last edited:
OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ended up with a kupang damsel so nothing exciting there. Did get a nice bright green long tentacle leather with the gift card tho. It's not happy so no pics. Moved the pitiful looking lobos in so we'll see how things go. 20220823_162342.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back