Coral ID.. Sea whip? Or?

tuscani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought this at local frag swap... was simply marketed as a sea whip (softie) and easy to care for. But after doing some research I believe this is a Yellow Finger Gorgonian which is actually an NPS right? Yikes. Not sure I am ready for an NPS! LOL

gorg.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Bought this at local frag swap... was simply marketed as a sea whip (softie) and easy to care for. But after doing some research I believe this is a Yellow Finger Gorgonian which is actually an NPS right? Yikes. Not sure I am ready for an NPS! LOL

gorg.jpg
Gorgonian which is photosynthetic, needs good light and water flow and feeds on Phytoplankton, zooplankton and other nutrients

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I don't think this variety of gorgonian is photosynthetic. But I could be wrong.
Generally pink and light purple flesh ones are photosynthetic but hard to identify from distance in the pic. May be a flabellum species

OP
OP
tuscani

tuscani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lady that sold it mentioned it was not photosynthetic and needed to be fed.. but she also said it was a Sea Whip and a softie... LOL

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lady that sold it mentioned it was not photosynthetic and needed to be fed.. but she also said it was a Sea Whip and a softie... LOL
Hobby terms. It can be those things and also NPS, which it appears this is. She gets an A- . Tough to keep fed properly without polluting the water in most standard tanks. Even tougher in a newer tank. Wish you the best of luck! It will be a learning experience no matter the outcome.

OP
OP
tuscani

tuscani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hobby terms. It can be those things and also NPS, which it appears this is. She gets an A- . Tough to keep fed properly without polluting the water in most standard tanks. Even tougher in a newer tank. Wish you the best of luck! It will be a learning experience no matter the outcome.

Thx! We will see how it goes. I struggle keeping Euphyllia these days let alone an NPS.

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally pink and light purple flesh ones are photosynthetic but hard to identify from distance in the pic. May be a flabellum species
It's orange, which signals that it's not zooxanthellate. Purple gorgonians can be azoox too; check out Caribbean sea fans.
Also, Flabellum is a stony coral genus, not an Octocoral.

Tub Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

gorg.jpg
You are right in your research. Non-photo synthetic.
Not easy to keep.
Personally, I would trade/sell it. Not worth the hassle of it just most likely slowly withering away on you.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 49 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back