Coral identification

bigbugoutfitters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this as a free frag a couple months ago. My guess was that this was chalice? Not totally sure. It lost a bit of flesh the first week or two but then bounced back. Since then it has been fine until the last week or so when it began losing color and has become a bit pail. What exactly is this. Running noops at 40% 12 inches off the water. I will try to get parameters for you this evening when my wife gets home. I am colorblind and testing water is tricky other than phosphate(Hanna).

IMG_0392.jpeg IMG_0391.jpeg

liddojunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blue lights make it hard to see

Does it have skeleton walls between the mouths? At first glance I thought goniastrea

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleaching is often due to a sudden temperature spike/high temp or a sudden spike in parameters/unsuitable parameters. High light can also have that effect, as well as high PH. What's the PAR at? What about general parameters? Any spikes in parameters/temp recently?

OP
OP
bigbugoutfitters

bigbugoutfitters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I am not sure on par, I live around 200 miles from the nearest reef shop. I have been thinking about renting one though. I began adding kalkwasser a couple weeks ago. Perhaps that could be it. My sps and scans have been loving it, but maybe just not this guy.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I am not sure on par, I live around 200 miles from the nearest reef shop. I have been thinking about renting one though. I began adding kalkwasser a couple weeks ago. Perhaps that could be it. My sps and scans have been loving it, but maybe just not this guy.
Download the Photone app for your phone it’s like $15

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a favites to me.

Dow it kind of look like any of these here?

OP
OP
bigbugoutfitters

bigbugoutfitters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looks like a favites to me.

Dow it kind of look like any of these here?
It sorta looks like a cross between https://tidalgardens.com/stock-raja-rampage-chalice.html
And
I still am leaning towards chalice. I’ll try to get a better picture when I get home.
My favias are doing super well now, if it is a favite would it likely do better under similar conditions as the favias?

OP
OP
bigbugoutfitters

bigbugoutfitters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moseleya latistellata
I think you are right. Looks like I might need to move it down to my mushroom cave. Some of the photos I saw online look like it when I first bought it. Bought it at petco for 15 dollars, the person that sold it to me thought it was a Monti… haha. Not quite. Sounds like they are especially sensitive to chemistry changes. Hopefully it’ll make it.
I am a little worried, gonna be leaving the tank to my wife for the next six weeks. Gotta drive down to central Montana til mid late June for the start of the guide season. Sleeping in the back of the truck the whole time. Wish my back well and the tank good health!

OP
OP
bigbugoutfitters

bigbugoutfitters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.18 phosphate
9.3 alk
13 nitrate
8.3 ph
1425 mg
450 calc
78 Fahrenheit

Looks like magnesium and calcium are high. I may dose less kalkwasser but I’m not sure why I’ve got elevated magnesium.

OP
OP
bigbugoutfitters

bigbugoutfitters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved it a bit lower under whites and blues. Also a more shaded area. I’ll keep an eye on I for the next week.

Attachments

• IMG_0397.jpeg
    IMG_0397.jpeg
    214.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0396.jpeg
    IMG_0396.jpeg
    196.6 KB · Views: 11

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back