Coral propagation techniques, feeding,cutting, growing and coloring up

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you feel that it's possible to keep chalices in an ULNS without target feeding daily? I've managed to keep a few chalices in my tank hidden in the shadows, but they never grow very well. When I put them in my frag tank with less intense lighting and higher nutrient levels they seem to grow, but as soon as I move them to the DT, they won't inflate fully and growth comes to a screeching halt. Worst of all, only the boring ones seem to survive in the DT...

BigJohnWoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried feeding after lights go out?

Yes I have tried and it's just as bad if not worse. My cleaners are such aggressive eaters and I feed my tank pretty heavily. The blood shrimp are not near as bad, but still steal food.

OP
OP
m and m

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you feel that it's possible to keep chalices in an ULNS without target feeding daily? I've managed to keep a few chalices in my tank hidden in the shadows, but they never grow very well. When I put them in my frag tank with less intense lighting and higher nutrient levels they seem to grow, but as soon as I move them to the DT, they won't inflate fully and growth comes to a screeching halt. Worst of all, only the boring ones seem to survive in the DT...

I can honestly say yes chalice will grow in ULNS my friend has full blown ZEO tank and chalices do fine/thrive. What I do find weird is fragged chalices always dont do the best. I do blamm it on his ULNS.
Here is a little proof ULNS and chalices with LEDS work, All these are undeer LED's and a full zeo for years.

Rampent River by matsinger2, on Flickr

WWC Rainbow Magic by matsinger2, on Flickr

But this is really why he does ZEO sps is jaw dropping

Strawberry Shortcake Close up by matsinger2, on Flickr

OP
OP
m and m

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have tried and it's just as bad if not worse. My cleaners are such aggressive eaters and I feed my tank pretty heavily. The blood shrimp are not near as bad, but still steal food.

Well look at it like this. Do you want to start feeding? Or like me "Power feeding". Do you have a over rated skimmer and the time or in my case GF that turns on real house wifes so you need something to do. If yes to all these questions you might want to ask, "Why is that shrimp in there?" how do you benefit of of him? If all that is no I suggest getting him out and start feeding liek how you want.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good read M and M. What kinda growth are you getting on your short cake? Mine has great color but grows so slow.

OP
OP
m and m

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good read M and M. What kinda growth are you getting on your short cake? Mine has great color but grows so slow.

That was a example of SPS and chalices in a ZEO tank. Thats a friends and he gets GREAT! growth out of it.

dnov99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow Matt, awesome info you have provided here!!! You should get paid for this kind of write-up!! LOL.

I can attest to Matt's techniques as I have used many of them to great success!! He is one of the most dedicated and knowledgeable reefers I know... The putty technique is without a doubt, key in getting maximum growth from chalices.

Hey, alot of those corals look very familiar!!!....

OP
OP
m and m

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats because there yours, He asked how chalices did in zeo or ULNS and I said fine then showed a few I drool about when Im at your house.

OP
OP
m and m

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little more candy

This is a piece that only eats the fine dust as some chalices will only do that

Ragin Rainbow by matsinger2, on Flickr

this is what a secrete blend of food does to scolly's

Scolly by matsinger2, on Flickr

OP
OP
m and m

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There will be info on every page here people read it all

sexycorals

Bringing Sexy BACK!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow everyone is stepping it up with writing great threads. Thanks for taking the time
To do this man. I know I can always learn new stuff from all of you guys! Already did from what you got up so far. Can't wait for more.

OP
OP
m and m

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish food

This has been a rough time for me. I have posted numerous threads asking asked many reefers Brad,Mplotti what they feed for such a massive amount of diffrent fish and this is what works for me. I use a seaweed pad once every 2-3 days but thats gone in 2-3 minutes. Daily I feed Spectra regular food pellets which you can get from most venders on here. Normaly just add it on my bulk reef supply order with cal alk, Then Im so glad they joined I feed Roods fish food religiously daily. I take one of those little red plastic cup normally for party's and throw a chunk in there and add tank water and put it in my overflow box to get it to tank temp. Normally when you just add water It makes the water in the cup super cold. My fish deserve tank warm food so it goes in the overflow box for a hour and feed it. Pellets just go right in at night normally. Food in the over flow box is a good tip took my a while to think of it lol.

gumby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
chalice yum yumm's!!!!!!lol you still aint spilled the beans!I want the recipe lol

OP
OP
m and m

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might get spilled I only see one person asking for it, If I do spill it have a fresh seafood market and a blender close. Hope you have some knife skills as well.

OP
OP
m and m

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it all written up and ready to go, BUT im not going to share it tonight. It also makes a good fish food. I have never used it as that but Fish go crazy for it. I honestly think I might try a month of nothing but this to see if it makes a difference. The thing is I hate making big batches because I like the Fresh idea. I mean I dont eat shrimp that have been frozen for a month so I wouldn't ask that of my fish... Opps there goes a ingredient fresh shrimp. Heck Ill give you two more because Its all about how its prepared. R/O water for freezing purposes and to put it in the syringe for application and some Nori as fresh as posable.

Here goes a picture
Flame thrower mutch?

IMG_9763 by matsinger2, on Flickr

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back