Coral propagation techniques, feeding,cutting, growing and coloring up

ruppertb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this great thread. I have a few questions:

1Were can i find the fauna marin food you feed the corals, i have looked for it before and can never seem to find it.
2 So you feed when the lights are out, I have a 48in stunner all blue on for a few hrs after my light go out, would this work as lights out, or should i wait until my stunner goes out and just my 4 moon lights are on?

Thanks

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where can i find the fauna marin food you feed the corals, i have looked for it before and can never seem to find it.

I know that cherry corals stocks it, that's where I got mine.

ruppertb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I could ever find was a pellet, so does he mash it up and stick it in the big end of the syringe, then put in the plunger and then draw up the water?

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be my guess. I've never seen anything but the pellets either, but they're pretty soft and can be mashed up very easily with a spoon in a specimen cup.

ruppertb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always wanted to feed my chalices but never get feeders on my higher end chalices, and dont have anything to feed them, unless they eat big chunks of fish or scallops, or dry food. now im eager to try

OP
OP
m and m

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this great thread. I have a few questions:

1Were can i find the fauna marin food you feed the corals, i have looked for it before and can never seem to find it.
2 So you feed when the lights are out, I have a 48in stunner all blue on for a few hrs after my light go out, would this work as lights out, or should i wait until my stunner goes out and just my 4 moon lights are on?

Thanks

I get all my food with reefkoi. at the end of this Ill post a link to the food I use they do make a fine dust no need to smash. I dont like the pellets because they roll away to fast I have three bottles just sitting there. You can use the LED's I have a reef bright strip I use to look at the corals when Im feeding them. Just plop some food ontop like I did in the pictures and they go to town.

Fauna Marin Zoanthid Specific food 100ml : REEFKOI CORALS, SPS, LPS, Zoanthids

All I could ever find was a pellet, so does he mash it up and stick it in the big end of the syringe, then put in the plunger and then draw up the water?

Nope Reefkoi sells it here you go

Fauna Marin Zoanthid Specific food 100ml : REEFKOI CORALS, SPS, LPS, Zoanthids

I have always wanted to feed my chalices but never get feeders on my higher end chalices, and dont have anything to feed them, unless they eat big chunks of fish or scallops, or dry food. now im eager to try

What chalices exactly some done give out feeders for me either maybe its a particular SP. I definitely have to force feed a few chalcies but in time they learn and will bring out the sweepers once the lights go out knowing Im comming with the yumm yumm's

Picture time since we are on the suject of chalices that wont eat that need to be force feed here is my latest that I force feed. KTARS Arc wanted. This is going to be a show stopper in a few more months. It came all red now its geting this blood red under tone that is bright once it grows out a little more the other colors re going to poor in. Its going to be a nice one for sure.

Ktars Arc Wanted by matsinger2, on Flickr

OP
OP
m and m

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bonus shipping section, tricks/tips suggestions to make shipping a breeze

So many people want to trade corals or sell something for the next big ticket item they want to purchase Ill show you how to save a good deal of money on shipping. First pick one shipper and stick with them. I go with fedex. Now logg on and make a account with them it takes 10 minutes and what that does it it gives you a 18 percent discount just because you have a account. On top of that the more you ship the more you save with them. Also you can print you labels at home and just drop the package off at 6:10 like I do. Now the materials. I have yet to buy peanuts . Every time I get a box with them I add them to a 15x15x15 box I have. Now here is the trick when your only shipping 1-6 pieces you can fit them into a small uline styro box. the outside dimensions are 8x6x5. I have found that to be the cheapest size to send in. 99 percent of the time it saves me 20 dollars a box because the 10x8x8 the normal dimensions venders send me cost is 20 dollars more to ship. Why pay to ship something bigger when this gets the job done. Want to hear the best part? Uline sells 8 of them for 43 dollars and 7 dollars to ship so 50 dollars for 8 shipped to your door. Dont forget to pick up your 2 or 3mm thick bags to. 20-25 dollars gets you 1000 or what I call a life time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
m and m

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flame thrower I just cut

ft by matsinger2, on Flickr

SC pink fame

IMG_0429 by matsinger2, on Flickr

I had this 8x8 colony for almost 2 years now, got it as orange with one dull strip of green threw the hole thing. 2 years later I have 8diffrent colors. Im not talking shades off eachother 100 percent diffrent colors.

Melting pot by matsinger2, on Flickr

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all of the pointers. I'm going to put some putty on some plugs at lunch today!

CJ

PS- that's a sick plate!

OP
OP
m and m

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all of the pointers. I'm going to put some putty on some plugs at lunch today!

CJ

PS- that's a sick plate!

Thanks Im not a plate guy only have three. one that looks to be grafted this one and another weird one

OP
OP
m and m

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The two I cant get to even shoot out feeders are SC Pink Fame and Tyree Rainbow Party

In the beginning post the pink fame is one of the two chalices I was feeding. Mine is a big eater. but doesnt give feeders but it does eat when you poor it on like i did in the demo. Have you thought about getting those shrimp.

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very good thread! I have been using the putty/epoxy method for my encrusting corals as well. It really seems to make them grow much faster.

Joe Knows Reefs

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And now for the recipe:

One fresh_____________________________________
___________and then 2 of __________and then...

Please please please :)

Laird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bonus shipping section, tricks/tips suggestions to make shipping a breeze

So many people want to trade corals or sell something for the next big ticket item they want to purchase Ill show you how to save a good deal of money on shipping. First pick one shipper and stick with them. I go with fedex. Now logg on and make a account with them it takes 10 minutes and what that does it it gives you a 18 percent discount just because you have a account. On top of that the more you ship the more you save with them. Also you can print you labels at home and just drop the package off at 6:10 like I do. Now the materials. I have yet to buy peanuts . Every time I get a box with them I add them to a 15x15x15 box I have. Now here is the trick when your only shipping 1-6 pieces you can fit them into a small uline styro box. the outside dimensions are 8x6x5. I have found that to be the cheapest size to send in. 99 percent of the time it saves me 20 dollars a box because the 10x8x8 the normal dimensions venders send me cost is 20 dollars more to ship. Why pay to ship something bigger when this gets the job done. Want to hear the best part? Uline sells 8 of them for 43 dollars and 7 dollars to ship so 50 dollars for 8 shipped to your door. Dont forget to pick up your 2 or 3mm thick bags to. 20-25 dollars gets you 1000 or what I call a life time.

Do you have a link where you get these boxes and bags?

_sludgefactory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used to get there catalog at the pizza shop I ran. Never **** about using them to get stuff to ship coral.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 143 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back