Coraline starting to form!

djd3mon

Reefing since 2016!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoo hoo!!! I just noticed the good old purple stuff growing on my tank. Tank is a 4 month old, 29 gallon frag tank with a few fish in there. I didn't add any additives to make it grow or anything special at all. A lot of the frags I purchased had some form of coraline on the plugs, so I'm guessing this is how it was introduced. The coraline is on my back glass and about BB sized. Probably less than 10 spots. I'm pumped. I must be doing something right after all!!!!!

Mandrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of lighting do you use? I have a terrible time trying to get it to grow under my eBay LEDs.. [emoji30]

OP
OP
D

djd3mon

Reefing since 2016!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of lighting do you use? I have a terrible time trying to get it to grow under my eBay LEDs.. [emoji30]

I started with the mars hydro ebay black box leds for about a month, then upgraded to 2 ai primes. Running at 50%

salttanklife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started seeing mine spread the last few weeks. It's not taking off like I wanted it to. I noticed one spot about the size of a BB on the bottom part of my glass. I've got around 20 spots now but they're all about the size of a BB. Every time I get a frag with it on it, I'll get it off with a razor and put it in the tank. It grows back on the frag plug fast, but want spread any further. It only grows in the bottom portion of my tank as well. My tank has been going since February and I've got maxspect razor r420r led lighting. I think part of my problem is my water changes can't keep up with the calcium intake from the corals. I started dosing reef fusion 2 part yesterday to see if it'll help. Congrats and good luck with yours

MrD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn't need to use additives to get the coralline to grow. If you have the proper calcium and alkalinity levels it should take off naturally. If things go well, it will become a nuisance growing on your glass.

salttanklife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn't need to use additives to get the coralline to grow. If you have the proper calcium and alkalinity levels it should take off naturally. If things go well, it will become a nuisance growing on your glass.

I can't keep my calcium over 400. That's the reasoning for the Reef Fusion dosing. I'm using Instant Ocean regular and not the reef crystals. I'm switching on the next box because I've still got around 60 or gallons of salt left. Which I'll still continue to dose as long as my corals and hopefully lots of corraline is using up enough calcium between water changes.

salttanklife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking my led lights have something to do with it as well. Everything I've read says it's harder to grow it under led lights sometimes. I believe that is the reasoning for it staying close to the bottom. I run my lights at 20 white and 65 blues. My understanding is that corraline likes the blue.

OP
OP
D

djd3mon

Reefing since 2016!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking my led lights have something to do with it as well. Everything I've read says it's harder to grow it under led lights sometimes. I believe that is the reasoning for it staying close to the bottom. I run my lights at 20 white and 65 blues. My understanding is that corraline likes the blue.

I'm using 2 AI primes. I run mine in 20k spectrum.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 118 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 94 34.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 43 15.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.8%
Back