Coralline algae removal

Aboynamedsous2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I have coralline algae growing on my front glass. I know that’s a good thing because my tank is mature and healthy but it’s also annoying because it’s so difficult to remove. My question is what would be the most effective way of removing it without an expensive blade or scraper? Thanks in advance!

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You didn't specify manual scraping or live aquaria.. I'm a fan of using old credit\debit cards. They do not scratch acrylic or glass and work pretty well unless you let it get out of hand.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been thinking of adding one anyway so that just gives me an excuse to get one lol
I've been doing the credit card thing (like stated above) but only on my front glass. Works great but I've always stayed on top of it so it doesn't have a chance to even really get going beyond first sign of specs.

Urchin -- my pink urchin loves to grind off the coralline on my live rock -- "to the bone." No matter how many times I've tried to get him to eat the coralline off my side glass though, he won't touch it -- that little antagonizer does a B-line straight back to the rocks.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 128 42.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 105 34.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 48 15.9%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.7%
Back