Corals Not looking hot

Mayorbee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50 gallon tank is 8 months old. Been struggling with green hair algae since the beginning but corals always have been growing well. I have a mixed reef. over the last 2 weeks my corals are not looking well. Went from growing and looking super healthy to basically dying.

Since I noticed recession I have Turned off fuge. Dosing neo nitrate and phosphate to try to increase them. Phosphate stuck bottomed out.

Water parameters
Salinity 1.026
Mag 1300
Calcium 430
Alk 8.2
Nitrate 6
Phosphate 0

LPS Corals look the worst and are most likely going to die. Soft coral not opening. I have one motipora that looks fine and is growing.

Is ICP my best bet here? I’m not sure what else could cause such coral loss.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A picture of your tank would help. The hair algae is out competing your corals, they are starving. You need nitrates at 10-15 and phosphates at .05-.1. Your magnesium is a little low. Torches, frogspawn and hammers thrive with magnesium around 1400. I can’t comment on light and flow until we get more info.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ice is always good. But it takes time. Post pictures to show the issue. Are you running carbon?

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like the uglies set in. Remove as much hair algae as possible. Potentially lower white light

OP
OP
M

Mayorbee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A picture of your tank would help. The hair algae is out competing your corals, they are starving. You need nitrates at 10-15 and phosphates at .05-.1. Your magnesium is a little low. Torches, frogspawn and hammers thrive with magnesium around 1400. I can’t comment on light and flow until we get more info.
Running 2 nero3s at 50-70% and a return pump at 600 GPH. lighting is a reefbreeders v2 32. Running whites 17% blues 30%

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been trying that. No luck still. Will keep trying
Been trying to get phosphate up? Or it has been up and nothing is working? If you have reef roids it comes up fast. Liquid additives takes quite a bit to raise it but just add the needed amount from the calculation on directions. If you add the right amount of whatever your po4 will shoot right up.

Also, what are you using to measure phosphate?

OP
OP
M

Mayorbee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been trying to get phosphate up? Or it has been up and nothing is working? If you have reef roids it comes up fast. Liquid additives takes quite a bit to raise it but just add the needed amount from the calculation on directions. If you add the right amount of whatever your po4 will shoot right up.

Also, what are you using to measure phosphate?

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been trying to get phosphates up for a week. I am using Hannah checker ULR

Gotcha. Before you you shoot down rabbit holes that likely aren’t the issue just get that po4 up, especially in a mixed reef. You’ll be amazed at the rebound. Good luck. Keep us posted!

OP
OP
M

Mayorbee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. Before you you shoot down rabbit holes that likely aren’t the issue just get that po4 up, especially in a mixed reef. You’ll be amazed at the rebound. Good luck. Keep us posted!
Thanks. I
50 gallon tank is 8 months old. Been struggling with green hair algae since the beginning but corals always have been growing well. I have a mixed reef. over the last 2 weeks my corals are not looking well. Went from growing and looking super healthy to basically dying.

Since I noticed recession I have Turned off fuge. Dosing neo nitrate and phosphate to try to increase them. Phosphate stuck bottomed out.

Water parameters
Salinity 1.026
Mag 1300
Calcium 430
Alk 8.2
Nitrate 6
Phosphate 0

LPS Corals look the worst and are most likely going to die. Soft coral not opening. I have one motipora that looks fine and is growing.

Is ICP my best bet here? I’m not sure what else could cause such coral loss.

Attachments

• IMG_3138.jpeg
    IMG_3138.jpeg
    256.9 KB · Views: 34

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably not recommended by the tang police lol but I would put a small foxface or bristle tooth tang in there to mow down all of that GHA. You’re also going to need a bunch of snails.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back