Crab, whelk, vegetation

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just picked up my live rock. Can anyone I’d these crabs? I also have some whelk and not sure what type of vegetation but was in a bag and said free.

IMG_0101.jpeg IMG_0100.jpeg IMG_0095.jpeg IMG_0099.jpeg IMG_0096.jpeg IMG_0097.jpeg IMG_0098.jpeg

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. I have no idea, but I am tempted to say this is not a reef-safe crab
2. Pitho crab (possibly) and 3. Red mithrax crab (Teleophrys ruber). Both eat hair algae, bubble algae, and other macroalgae. As with other crabs, they are not guaranteed to be reef-safe but are often employed as algae CUC.
4. Looks like whelks to me. They will eat other mollusks, such as clams and other snails.
5. Unsure. I would be wary of this one, as with #1
6. Caulerpa ashmeadii and some red macroalgae (likely Gracilaria tikvahiae, Agardhiella subulata, or something similar). C. ashmeadii is one of the larger species of Caulerpa, though it grows slower than its cousins. The aforementioned red macroalgae do well in refugia and can be fed to herbivores.
7. Sargassum. This decorative macroalgae is difficult to take care of due its its intensive flow and lighting needs.

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew the wheels would kill other snails. As for the crabs, I see a gorilla but not sure of the others. I’m keeping the rock on egg crate without sand so I can pick out stuff easily.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

LiverockRocks

Gulf of Mexico Living Rock Farmers
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I just picked up my live rock. Can anyone I’d these crabs? I also have some whelk and not sure what type of vegetation but was in a bag and said free.

IMG_0101.jpeg IMG_0100.jpeg IMG_0095.jpeg IMG_0099.jpeg IMG_0096.jpeg IMG_0097.jpeg IMG_0098.jpeg
Hiya,

We had 2 customers in this week's Air Cargo group that run octopus tanks, one in Denver and one in Maine. For these folks, we include free "predator snacks" such as tulip snails, whelk snails, gorillas, swimming crabs, extra mithrax crabs, sand shrimp and stone crabs.

J adds a quick sketch to bags of "freebies". It looks like you also received caulerpa and sargassum. Caulerpa is great in a fuge or display, herbivores will yum it up. Sargassum adds great texture and a unique macro color to displays, fish won't eat it.

Rock on.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%

Back