Cracked my tank

Dayme Doug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys I'm setting up a new 40 gallon breeder tank and cracked it moving it in my living room. Its a hair line crack that I can not feel either inside or outside the tank. My concern is if it will burst or crack more leading to a leak. Should I just replace the tank before I put my tank and livestock in it or just live with the hairline crack?

20200903_102035.jpg

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% replace. If there is nothing on the back side of the tank it can be turned around and used as a reptile tank. Otherwise if you're going to throw it out the other side could be used for practice drilling if you want to learn how to drill tanks.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea just replace it.

I just cracked a 40 breeder myself drilling it. First tank I have cracked drilling and have done tons.
I had my drill on the wrong setting. I was trying to rush.. Anyway went and bought a new one.
To bad Petco's dollar per gallon sale just ended they put 40 breeders at half off for it.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
sorry to see ,empty asap,you have minutes to days,inevitable failure of panel!!!:(

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup …. its a gonner

OP
OP
Dayme Doug

Dayme Doug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% replace. If there is nothing on the back side of the tank it can be turned around and used as a reptile tank. Otherwise if you're going to throw it out the other side could be used for practice drilling if you want to learn how to drill tanks.
Its already drilled in the back and painted

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just in case, the first 15 responses weren't clear.

Definitely replace, my friend had something like this happen while his tank was a year old maybe year and a half?

It lasted for 6 months, and he kind of put it "on the back burner"

and then one night in the middle of the night.... you get it.

It was actually a rimless and it was at the top of his tank. which is why he didn't even care that much. It's all coming back to me as i type.

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea just replace it.

I just cracked a 40 breeder myself drilling it. First tank I have cracked drilling and have done tons.
I had my drill on the wrong setting. I was trying to rush.. Anyway went and bought a new one.
To bad Petco's dollar per gallon sale just ended they put 40 breeders at half off for it.
I just got an advert in the mail that Pet Supplies Plus is doing a dollar per gallon sale on Aqueon too. I think theirs ends on the 7th.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To add some flavor, you could replace just the cracked panel. Odds are it will be nearly as expensive as buying a new tank, depending on prices in your area.

Use a razor to cut the silicone, pull out the panel, clean up the joins, then silicone in the new one. Dozens of threads and videos on the subject. Done right, it should be good as new.

F i s h y

2nd In Command.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful with Aqueon, they are using a lot of tempered glass. If you drill it, it will crack. Many reports of this lately. They have a tag on the bottom of their tanks now saying not to drill them at all.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 114 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back