95 gallon wave tank cracked center brace

Tjm9331

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I have a 95 gallon wave tank with a cracked center brace. The crack runs with the brace and not against it, and it does not go all the through, at least not that I can feel. I'm wondering if this is something I should be concerned about, and if so, is there a way for me to repair this? I have attached a picture of the crack, hopefully you can see it. TIA
cracked tank rim.jpg

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be maximally concerned with this.

The center brace is there to prevent the center of the pane of glass from either bowing or bucking. As soon as it fully goes both the front and rear panes will bow out, very noticeably, albeit potentially for a short time depending on whether they full fail immediately or whether they cause a seam failure that just leaks water out of the tank.

You either need a new tank or a new top brace, very soon.

In the meantime seriously consider draining the thing and putting any livestock in alternative tanks/buckets.

OP
OP
Tjm9331

Tjm9331

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be maximally concerned with this.

The center brace is there to prevent the center of the pane of glass from either bowing or bucking. As soon as it fully goes both the front and rear panes will bow out, very noticeably, albeit potentially for a short time depending on whether they full fail immediately or whether they cause a seam failure that just leaks water out of the tank.

You either need a new tank or a new top brace, very soon.

In the meantime seriously consider draining the thing and putting any livestock in alternative tanks/buckets.
Thank you, that’s what I was afraid of. Luckily the tank is not in use and is empty. Does anyone happen to know where is could find a replacement top brace for this tank?

Sirlagzalott

Back at it after a 12yr hiatus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you, that’s what I was afraid of. Luckily the tank is not in use and is empty. Does anyone happen to know where is could find a replacement top brace for this tank?
To find an exact replacement you’ll probably need to go to the manufacturer. Otherwise, you will probably need to either fabricate or have on fabricated. I’ve seen people clamp them or weld plastic reinforcements. Really depends on how handy you are and what you want the finished product to look like.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
do you know the manufacturer ? @Goaway did you have one ?

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I have a 95 gallon wave tank with a cracked center brace. The crack runs with the brace and not against it, and it does not go all the through, at least not that I can feel. I'm wondering if this is something I should be concerned about, and if so, is there a way for me to repair this? I have attached a picture of the crack, hopefully you can see it. TIA
cracked tank rim.jpg
Not as concerned with this one as other similar posts. If it were me and assuming aesthetics aren’t critical, I’d use original JB weld (not kwik weld) to bond aluminum flat bar to top and bottom of the cross brace. On the top I’d cover the entire crack. I’d do the same for the back of the rim (can’t see in image, total of 3 places I’d bond) in that area as well. Surface prep is key, coarse sand both materials, clean with IPA, then bond and allow full cure without any disturbance.

And of course keep an eye on it. I think repair of this one is lower risk than removal and replacement of the rim - does not seem like an easy task and I feel more likely to mess up something else in the process.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
do you know the manufacturer ? @Goaway did you have one ?
Arggg. Lag caused muspost. I had a bow front and no one had the frame dimensions. So, bar clamp.

Id watch for and tearing. That center brace snaps, the seals will begin to tear from water pressure causing tank to bow out. I'd replace it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back