Cross-country tank moving advice?

witchywoman725

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have 3 large tanks (2 FWLR & 1 coral) we have to move cross-country this year (12 hr drive) Any tips or tricks for the journey? I’m thinking lots of totes with lids, heaters and aerators? A power inverter in the car to run the heaters and aerators… Thankfully we will be setting up new larger tanks at the new house - so it’s just the coral and fish that absolutely have to go with us… any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated! I figure this will be a multi- step process. New tank set up and cycling, then fish move, then slowly introducing them to the new tank set ups…?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have 3 large tanks (2 FWLR & 1 coral) we have to move cross-country this year (12 hr drive) Any tips or tricks for the journey? I’m thinking lots of totes with lids, heaters and aerators? A power inverter in the car to run the heaters and aerators… Thankfully we will be setting up new larger tanks at the new house - so it’s just the coral and fish that absolutely have to go with us… any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated! I figure this will be a multi- step process. New tank set up and cycling, then fish move, then slowly introducing them to the new tank set ups…?
I would move them the same way these items are shipped. Small amounts of water in sealed bags with lots of air. Also will need heat packs. Once you arrive do not drip acclimate as opening the bags will cause a rise in Ph and make ammonia toxic.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back