Cthulukelele's hodgepodge softy and anemone 120g

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20230314_182423.jpg
Yep, those look like bladder snails, which was my guess from your earlier post before pictures.
They are only annoying if you find them as such, but they are likely to reproduce at a rapid rate based on my experiences.
They were introduced to some of my freshwater tanks as eggs on some plants I added. In my primary community freshwater tank, there are hundreds at all times, but they keep the glass clean, so I don't mind them.

I've seen some in my tanks. Not as invasive as ramshorn. Not sure why people don't like them...
Your case must be unique... I've found bladder snails to be every bit or more invasive than ramshorns, though I don't personally mind either kind in my tanks if they keep the glass and rocks clean.

I accidentally introduced bladder snails to my aunt's tank on some filter media to kickstart the tank, and she finds them mildly annoying. Due to that, I may try to find a way to kill invertebrates in her tank after removing the desired mystery snail and ghost shrimp for safety.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, those look like bladder snails, which was my guess from your earlier post before pictures.
They are only annoying if you find them as such, but they are likely to reproduce at a rapid rate based on my experiences.
They were introduced to some of my freshwater tanks as eggs on some plants I added. In my primary community freshwater tank, there are hundreds at all times, but they keep the glass clean, so I don't mind them.

Your case must be unique... I've found bladder snails to be every bit or more invasive than ramshorns, though I don't personally mind either kind in my tanks if they keep the glass and rocks clean.

I accidentally introduced bladder snails to my aunt's tank on some filter media to kickstart the tank, and she finds them mildly annoying. Due to that, I may try to find a way to kill invertebrates in her tank after removing the desired mystery snail and ghost shrimp for safety.
These things were my nightmares…..THEY WERE EVERYWHERE I couldn’t get rid of them. Must’ve been on plants like you said. Took a lot more precautions when adding plants there after.

OP
OP
Cthulukelele

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These things were my nightmares…..THEY WERE EVERYWHERE I couldn’t get rid of them. Must’ve been on plants like you said. Took a lot more precautions when adding plants there after.
At least right now they're nice because they are devouring all the beginning algae and they've shown me things can live in the tank now lol. Free betta food

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I must be unique in that regard. I never had a problem with them, almost did with ramshorns.

Would assassin snails take care of them?

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I must be unique in that regard. I never had a problem with them, almost did with ramshorns.

Would assassin snails take care of them?
Yes but not as fast as they reproduce.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So it would more be a population control measure?
Yeah. I think Assassin Snails are cool but they can't eradicate a snail population. Once it gets out of control you have to step in and do some trapping as well. They'll also breed in your filters so the assassins won't be able to get to those.

OP
OP
Cthulukelele

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. I think Assassin Snails are cool but they can't eradicate a snail population. Once it gets out of control you have to step in and do some trapping as well. They'll also breed in your filters so the assassins won't be able to get to those.
Oh I just saw are assassin snails just bumblebee snail? Could I just freshwater acclimate a few of the 2 dozen or so in my main tank?

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Oh I just saw are assassin snails just bumblebee snail? Could I just freshwater acclimate a few of the 2 dozen or so in my main tank?
They are similar but I think they're different. Saltwater are shorter bodied and stay a little smaller whereas the freshwater ones grow large and not as "stubby" for lack of a better term. They are a different breed scientifically so I'm not sure if they can be acclimated over.

OP
OP
Cthulukelele

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming along nicely!
My gf and I LOVE the betta. She is such a sweetheart and has been foraging for food all afternoon. RIP pods haha. We actually love the betta so much that we're going to forgo the rasbora and shrimp and add 3 more female bettas and the cories to make it a betta sorority with otos and cories. Super duper excited.

OP
OP
Cthulukelele

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also it just feels good to grab a relatively unwanted fish that was going to die in a cup at a petco and get to give it a comfortable life. The level of activity and visible excitement that betta had once it was in the tank was really special to witness.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 25 25.8%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 48 49.5%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back