Current USA Led light

AstroCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
Just a quick question. I want to get better led lights on a budget. I only have cheap/easy LPS and Softies and BTA. My tank is 35cm deep.

Will this light suffice?

You’re probably pushing the limits with LPS with this fixture. If you get the Current USA “IC” version of this light then you’re probably good for just about anything depending on the height of the coral in the tank. The IC version is more expensive but it might be worth looking into it.

OP
OP
Volv

Volv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the one you mean?

I was looking at this one, the biggest downside is I would have to import it from overseas for additional $50 and it sucks.
But if that's the case I guess it's better than upgrading again in the future.

Will this version work even for SPS if I tried them in the future?
That's the thing with lights. I wasted tons of money years ago because I wanted to cut costs on lights. They are terribly expensive, but it's better to invest once than just keep upgrading.

OP
OP
Volv

Volv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the thing with lights. I wasted tons of money years ago because I wanted to cut costs on lights. They are terribly expensive, but it's better to invest once than just keep upgrading.
Yeah, most of all I would just hate to buy expensive ones just to learn later that it would make no difference or that it's useless too. And with all the reviews and comments it gets really confusing.

You’re probably pushing the limits with LPS with this fixture. If you get the Current USA “IC” version of this light then you’re probably good for just about anything depending on the height of the coral in the tank. The IC version is more expensive but it might be worth looking into it.
Sorry, forgot to "Reply" to your message in my post above.

AstroCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the one you mean?

I was looking at this one, the biggest downside is I would have to import it from overseas for additional $50 and it sucks.
But if that's the case I guess it's better than upgrading again in the future.

Will this version work even for SPS if I tried them in the future?
Not that light, this one (model number is 4105 in the USA):

Notice the lighting arrangement is different in this versus the one you posted from Amazon, these contain more powerful LEDs. I’ve seen acropora grown under the IC version of this light so it should be a good light for expanding your coral horizons in the future. Be careful when upgrading lights though, start it on a lower intensity and build it up to avoid stressing or bleaching corals.

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRStv has a video on inexpensive lights on YouTube. I can't find it now but I'm trying to find it. They are looking at lights in $100-200 range on Amazon. I am currently running VIPARSpectra, but that's because I had fish only a tank for years and my hydras went to the crap of old age. I will upgrade because I want to get into more corals and I want more control over my lights.

OP
OP
Volv

Volv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that light, this one (model number is 4105 in the USA):

Notice the lighting arrangement is different in this versus the one you posted from Amazon, these contain more powerful LEDs. I’ve seen acropora grown under the IC version of this light so it should be a good light for expanding your coral horizons in the future. Be careful when upgrading lights though, start it on a lower intensity and build it up to avoid stressing or bleaching corals.
I heard about that, so I planned to keep my old lights and put new ones on lowest setting next to them and daily lower old ones and strenghten new ones, until it's all new ones. Would that be safe way to do it?

Thank you, I will have a look. The main problem is, we really don't have many products made for Australia here... So most options are not available.

BRStv has a video on inexpensive lights on YouTube. I can't find it now but I'm trying to find it. They are looking at lights in $100-200 range on Amazon. I am currently running VIPARSpectra, but that's because I had fish only a tank for years and my hydras went to the crap of old age. I will upgrade because I want to get into more corals and I want more control over my lights.
Unfortunately, just like above. USA based videos are not very helpful since just don't have access to most items advertised there. Importing things to AU is really a pain and then there is a problem of different electricity woltage and plugs.

Freakmachine01

Guess who I'v seen today... Everyone I looked at.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The noopsyche lights they advertise here are supposed to be pretty cheap and amazing. I don't use them myself but heard some good reviews on them.
@noopsyche

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard about that, so I planned to keep my old lights and put new ones on lowest setting next to them and daily lower old ones and strenghten new ones, until it's all new ones. Would that be safe way to do it?

Thank you, I will have a look. The main problem is, we really don't have many products made for Australia here... So most options are not available.

Unfortunately, just like above. USA based videos are not very helpful since just don't have access to most items advertised there. Importing things to AU is really a pain and then there is a problem of different electricity woltage and plugs.
You can always run a converter. Many of those companies are based in China, so they might have something for European markets. Do you guys run the same electricity as Europe?

AstroCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don’t think that’s a bad plan, you could really do it either way in my opinion. In the past, I have just taken off the old light and replaced it with the new light on lower settings. In my mind, the lighting fixture changes instantly when you take a coral from the LFS into your tank so it’s basically like moving your coral to a new tank with a new light.

I definitely understand the AU importing issues though, that’s a bummer. Living in the US, I sometimes forget how lucky we are with the number of products we have access to in-store and online. Best of luck with the search! Hopefully I helped you out a little bit!

OP
OP
Volv

Volv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always run a converter. Many of those companies are based in China, so they might have something for European markets. Do you guys run the same electricity as Europe?
Yes, the woltage is the same as European, I would rather avoid the converter if possible tho, for safety reasons.

I don’t think that’s a bad plan, you could really do it either way in my opinion. In the past, I have just taken off the old light and replaced it with the new light on lower settings. In my mind, the lighting fixture changes instantly when you take a coral from the LFS into your tank so it’s basically like moving your coral to a new tank with a new light.

I definitely understand the AU importing issues though, that’s a bummer. Living in the US, I sometimes forget how lucky we are with the number of products we have access to in-store and online. Best of luck with the search! Hopefully I helped you out a little bit!
Thank you! That definitely gave some some starting point to search. I will have a look again and probably post a question again, once I find more options. :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back