OP
OP
TimSc2013

TimSc2013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I held off on fragging the Tri-color as the recession appeared to stop, but then on June 6th I noticed it started back up again and going higher on the main trunk. Fortunately this frag grew like a tree and all the branches sprouted off the main trunk where I could frag at the trunk while maintaining the colony.

2014 53.jpg
STN base after fragging
Even this base that was left behind in my other system has recovered with new growth
2014 53.jpg
H.jpg

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You seem to be having a HA issue too. Are you doing anything for control? I have this odd bright greenish yellow algae showing up in patches but Ive been dosing vodka. There appears to be less and less daily. Plus there's cyano in my sump :(

OP
OP
TimSc2013

TimSc2013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You seem to be having a HA issue too. Are you doing anything for control? I have this odd bright greenish yellow algae showing up in patches but Ive been dosing vodka. There appears to be less and less daily. Plus there's cyano in my sump :(
Jackie - The hair algae shown in the pictures is in my old 100-gal system that I kept running. There are about four "problem" rocks that continue to support the growth of the hair algae as I assume they were saturated with phosphate over my earlier years of not keeping nutrients low. It is still interesting that the majority of rock in that system endured the same higher nutrients over the years and do not show this same hair algae growth. I do dose both vodka and Red Sea NOPOX in the 100-gal system along with using GFO to keep NO3 and PO4 at around 3.0 & 0.06, respectively.For the 230-gal peninsula, I dose NOPOX and use GFO and my levels are at a trace for NO3 and 0.06 for PO3. I do not have any other means of nutrient export except my skimmer and water changes which I have been doing only 5-gal. per week. I am dosing the Red Sea Coral Colors A through D and want to try the Triton water test to see where my parameters fall as the dosing is based only upon my tanks calcium uptake. I would eventually like to switch to the full Triton method but they do not recommend carbon dosing and using a refugium for nutrient export which I have to believe would require one quite large to be effective....

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't tried NOPOX yet. I also have been researching the Triton method. It looks quite promising :) I reintroduced the green algae from 1 rock that had a coral on it to this tank. It has spread to other rock that's brand new and onto new sand. My PO4 doesn't register with salifert tests and NO3 reads 0 also with Red Sea. My montis grow great and SPS are making a comeback but very slowly. Do you feed your acros anything other than the ABC?

Jackie

OP
OP
TimSc2013

TimSc2013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jackie - I use Red Sea Reef Energy (amino acids) every couple days or at least once a week.

OP
OP
TimSc2013

TimSc2013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although my SPS seem to be doing good, some of my LPS aren't fairing well. In the last month I have lost one head of my frogspawn and one head of my torch corals, along with completely losing this blasto. My "fish lady" thought maybe it was because I am not target feeding them with mysis but all my acans, favia and hammers are doing well. I did take this blasto out and put him in my other tank so I could target feed him without my wrasse stealing the food, but it still wasted away. Thoughts?
20140919_203547.jpg

OP
OP
TimSc2013

TimSc2013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ORA Red Planet.jpg

I am experiencing a minor setback with my tank that has me perplexed. My ORA red planet frag started to RTN yesterday with no apparent reason. All my other sps are doing great and in fact this frag recently began to grow a new branch. I test weekly for Ca, dKh, Mg, PO4 and NO3 and my Apex monitors my pH and temperature with results showing no major swings. In thinking back over the last week, the only things I did to the tanks are:

·
Changed out the GFO in the reactor on Sunday.
· Left town Monday morning to Wednesday evening but was able to dose my daily 15ml of NOPOX with the exception of Tuesday. My daughter dosed 8 ml on Tuesday as I forgot to tell her I increased the amount since the last time I left town.
· Wednesday night I put in two brand new filter socks as my glass needed cleaning to remove a film of algae. Cleaned the glass with Float Mag.
· Cleaned the outside glass with Windex. I make sure I am careful not to overspray such that any would get into the aquarium. Furthermore, the cabinets were closed so I am positive this is not the reason. I have done this for years on my other tank which is an open tank system with no coverings.

One thing I noticed as I was cleaning the algae off the glass was my Duncan coral heads fully retracted which I thought was interesting and attributed it to the coral catching food (free floating algae). On Thursday night is when I noticed the recession on the base. It wasn’t there on Wednesday as I thoroughly inspect my coral and fish upon returning from an extended time away from home. Upon noticing it, I removed the frag and treated it with Coral Rx. Today I went to work and upon returning this evening, the frag is worse with flesh peeling off the skeleton. The pic is bad but tried to show the flesh floating while still attached to the portions not affected yet. By tomorrow, I anticipate it to be completely gone.

Last edited:

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry to hear this Tim :( That happened to 4 of my acro frags in my frag tank. I think it was my fresh gfo that did it. It was 2 days after i put fresh gfo in the reactor and it was the only thing different.

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cleaning the algae off the glass was my Duncan coral heads fully retracted which I thought was interesting and attributed it to the coral catching food (free floating algae)

Unfortunately, the duncan was indeed feeling particles in the water and was trying to eat, but since the particles were not protein based they did not help.

OP
OP
TimSc2013

TimSc2013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, the duncan was indeed feeling particles in the water and was trying to eat, but since the particles were not protein based they did not help.
That's interesting, I guess I assumed they would feed on the algae.

OP
OP
TimSc2013

TimSc2013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After five months of being happy in his spot, the RBTA found a new home and the clowns tagged along of course...
Anenome.jpg

OP
OP
TimSc2013

TimSc2013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time to start filling the other system with frags! Here is a great pack I received today from BattleCorals...
Battle Corals.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back