Cyano and GHA

shimmer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting some cyano. It's on the side opposite my gyre. I could add another powerhead over there, but I feel like there's already borderline too much flow. I just brush it off every other day so it's not a huge deal.

I'm not super concerned about the cyano, although I am curious as to why it's happening?

My nutrients are so low. My nitrates are like .1ppm. Basically undetectable with salifert. Phosphates are like .01ppm. Basically undetectable with salifert.

Tank is 4-5 months old. Started with half live and half dry rock and live sand.

60 gallon cube with Reef Octo HOB 2000 skimmer, also running carbon and purigen. I also have a submersible filter with floss and spots for media, but I don't run it regularly.

I have:

4 BTAs
6 LPS frags
1 zoa frag
1 pistol shrimp
1 pink spotted goby
1 blue-legged hermit
1 anemone crab
2 peppermint shrimp(maybe? haven't seen them in a while)
lots of pods

I feed pellets twice a day and the goby eats just about every pellet.

I feed phyto and AB+ twice a week.

I dose red sea A, B & C daily.

I dose 5ml nopox per day. I tried reducing it but got a bacterial bloom that went away when I went back up to 5ml, so I am currently keeping it where it's at.

I use coral snow once every two weeks.

I had either bryopsis or GHA pretty bad a while back, I used fluconazole. Then all of my snails started dying, presumably from the fluconazole, so I did a water change and added carbon to get rid of the fluc. Then scrubbed all of my rock. I got rid of 95% of it, but the small amount that stuck around is starting to regain a foothold. Think it was mostly bryopsis then, but looks more like mostly GHA now.

I don't really want to use the fluc again, but I guess I could if I need to now. All of my snails are already gone. Is there any other way to get rid of it? I don't want it to take over like I see it in some tanks.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 111 74.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back