Cycling a new Biocube 32

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it grows anywhere coral can grow, and it isnt a sign of bad water params, its a sign that your corals aren't going to bleach out anytime soon. be lifting out the minor offenders, use a pocket knife to detail dislodge from anchor points, and you can q-tip on some peroxide on the former algae anchor spots before rinsing off/setting back in. like dentistry. dont control algae via water param changes, if your animals miss it/u have to fix it manually.

OP
OP
Daniel266jz

Daniel266jz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it grows anywhere coral can grow, and it isnt a sign of bad water params, its a sign that your corals aren't going to bleach out anytime soon. be lifting out the minor offenders, use a pocket knife to detail dislodge from anchor points, and you can q-tip on some peroxide on the former algae anchor spots before rinsing off/setting back in. like dentistry. dont control algae via water param changes, if your animals miss it/u have to fix it manually.
Great! I was thinking of doing just that taking some peroxide and softly rubbing it off. One thing that really stands out to me is how much my anemone has grown, it actually likes to fully open up now and you can see it’s nice striations and bubbles.

OP
OP
Daniel266jz

Daniel266jz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just some pics of my Duncan and Acans growing multiple new heads/polyps. This acan I just bought about a month and a half ago I’d say, the Duncan was one of my first corals and has taken a while to grow.

CD0829EC-643E-4870-9283-9E6198CCE8F3.jpeg A0117B7A-345C-4D7B-9B34-5A9A5A34554F.jpeg

OP
OP
Daniel266jz

Daniel266jz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Did a 15 gallon water change over the weekend and water went clear then cloudy again, we can rule out sand, chaeto, filter floss, and dead animal. I did see my Cerith snails are leaving egg trails again which can only lead me to one thing, my astrea snails are breeding again lol even though I haven’t seen them this time. Nothing else can make the tank this cloudy one day to the next while everyone goes about they’re regular lives. Anybody seen this much crazy snail breeding before lol?

OP
OP
Daniel266jz

Daniel266jz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is good and getting more clear every water change. I do have a Duncan that might be dying, it’s skeleton has turned from neon green to very dark blue and it’s super scrunched up, I will post pics. Other than that everyone is doing great and healthy!

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Helpful prediction: I fully bet he lives. Duncans are the one lps where polyp behavior means nothing about its health. Mine would close up two weeks occasionally for no reason for years, and I’ve seen it in countless other posts too Duncans are rascals

i wonder if an extra cheap hang on back wal mart filter packed with pre rinsed filter carbon would clear up water quicker

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daniel266jz

Daniel266jz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Helpful prediction: I fully bet he lives. Duncans are the one lps where polyp behavior means nothing about its health. Mine would close up two weeks occasionally for no reason for years, and I’ve seen it in countless other posts too Duncans are rascals

i wonder if an extra cheap hang on back wal mart filter packed with pre rinsed filter carbon would clear up water quicker
I could try putting carbon back into my filter but wouldn’t that take the nutrients my chaeto needs? It’s been growing very well recently

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon won't affect nitrate, phosphate etc/ major plant needs w be ok. It's good for removing particulates from suspension, needs pre rinsing before use.

The chaeto isn't altering anything measurably it's just there, and if ever removed things proceed same as if chaeto is there. Though a lump of chaeto is claimed to lower nitrate and people state tests show it, it doesn't. Nitrate is stored in cloudy waste, pre breakdown chaeto can't address that and it's too slow growing as a lump in the chambers to make a difference. Great for housing pods though, and it's a neat life form to have. I kept some in my sealed pico, hoping it would boost oxygen levels under the lid + take up co2.

I wouldn't run carbon continually just have some on hand to help with clarity issues occasionally. The reason not to run it continually it’s due to not needing it more than occasionally.

A reactor full of chaeto might make a measurable difference but a lump won't

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daniel266jz

Daniel266jz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I will go ahead an add some carbon today and see how that goes. Other than the water everyone is doing well. I am saving up for my own RO/DI system which will help me do more water changes more frequently if needed.

F59A6B07-5097-4D09-873C-50511F3E2853.jpeg EB02538F-CAEA-4CFE-92D7-F7DCFA1B42B4.jpeg

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey that green skin going down the trunk of the Duncan is a sign of health, if it ever dies that area will go bone white and the polyps too/ degrade back to white skeleton. Its doing it’s thing there, looking normal yep. The blue area / polyp changes are normal

OP
OP
Daniel266jz

Daniel266jz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey that green skin going down the trunk of the Duncan is a sign of health, if it ever dies that area will go bone white and the polyps too/ degrade back to white skeleton. Its doing it’s thing there, looking normal yep. The blue area / polyp changes are normal
Thank you. That one is my healthy one though i still need a picture of the one in question.

NuclearStriker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I will go ahead an add some carbon today and see how that goes. Other than the water everyone is doing well. I am saving up for my own RO/DI system which will help me do more water changes more frequently if needed.

F59A6B07-5097-4D09-873C-50511F3E2853.jpeg EB02538F-CAEA-4CFE-92D7-F7DCFA1B42B4.jpeg

omegle
That's looking so beautiful

OP
OP
Daniel266jz

Daniel266jz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: my tank is constantly cloudy and nothing fixes it, RIP cleans, water changes, carbon, a better pump, or filter floss interchange at more frequency. Honestly this has become so bad I don’t enjoy the tank anymore because everytime I look over it’s cloudy. Any ideas? No the snails no longer look like they are breeding.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes

I would go back to two clowns, coral, clean rocks and sand/ all extras back to pet store.

this is the last known non cloudy condition that held. Feed is 1 or 2 refrigerated reef feeds, nothing else, no gobies etc. Scale back, then work up. When the prior clean condition is set, then add one item back, save clean up crews for last usage of all, dont add early they pump waste constantly in a nano.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it does look really clean though other than the water, nice sand nice rocks

how bout a cheap turbo twist UV sterilizer those have worked wonders online and easy cheap

OP
OP
Daniel266jz

Daniel266jz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it does look really clean though other than the water, nice sand nice rocks

how bout a cheap turbo twist UV sterilizer those have worked wonders online and easy cheap
I can give this a try. Everyone’s so attached to the fish they’d be upset if I told them they had to go back hahaha

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can compromise

all snails and cuc back, no feed beyond normal reef food no phyto or artemia until you add back in steps and check clouding before proceed

fancy feed is later after the clean re balance

keep fish :)
fish alone can’t cloud water but choose based on how well they feed with standard clowns

no plants take out chaeto

re clean it all for a cloudless start, that’s last known clean condition. **in approximately 250 instances in reefs alone on our forum, someone with cloudy water hooked up a turbo twist cheap uv and it worked, that should be considered

take back any fish that don’t eat pellets, no fancy feed required fish for the re balance

amazon probably allows returns on non working uv less restocking fees check w seller

no alk or calcium dosing or supplements at all, just water changes. Any chem beyond pellet feed, coral food, and saltwater we want to exclude. In the tank we want rocks, sand, fish corals alone that group isn’t a cloudy group

Last edited:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.6%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 26 18.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 95 66.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back