New cycle

In the Haus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like this question has been asked and answered about a thousand times, but here it goes... I have a Fluval EVO 13.5, I currently have about 10 lbs. of dry rock. I am going to use Caribsea Arag-Alive live sand for substrate, and add an additional piece of actual live rock from my LFS. I am looking into doing Dr. Tim's fishless cycle, but I have also read that if I have true live rock and live sand, then the cycle is already complete. Do I need to add any bacteria, or do I skip that step and just move on to adding ammonia? Do I even need to add ammonia, or is the tanks already cycled with the live rock and live sand, and would it be safe to just add a clown for an ammonia source?

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like this question has been asked and answered about a thousand times, but here it goes... I have a Fluval EVO 13.5, I currently have about 10 lbs. of dry rock. I am going to use Caribsea Arag-Alive live sand for substrate, and add an additional piece of actual live rock from my LFS. I am looking into doing Dr. Tim's fishless cycle, but I have also read that if I have true live rock and live sand, then the cycle is already complete. Do I need to add any bacteria, or do I skip that step and just move on to adding ammonia? Do I even need to add ammonia, or is the tanks already cycled with the live rock and live sand, and would it be safe to just add a clown for an ammonia source?
I have posted this before but since you want to do fishless cycle I have a published guide by an unknow Author that gives you step by step directions as do videos from Bulk reef supply. If you are interested I will forward. Let me know. Also have a book by a member talking about a reverse gravel filter which I intend to do pretty simple buy his book " The Avant-Garde Marine Aquarist

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The live sand is prob dead sand. If it has any bacteria it is probably very little. Rinse it well. 1 small live rock out of 10 lbs is not enough bacteria. I would use Fritz turbo 900. Add some ammonia and in a week your cycled

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it depends how much true Live rock you get but there should be little to no cycling and you can put fish in instantly. You can put in some bottled bacteria and ammonia if you want but it’s not needed. The Carib sea live sand barely makes a difference with cycling so if you just use live sand and dry rock you’re still going to have to do a full cycle with dr Tim’s ammonia and bacteria.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

In the Haus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The live sand is prob dead sand. If it has any bacteria it is probably very little. Rinse it well. 1 small live rock out of 10 lbs is not enough bacteria. I would use Fritz turbo 900. Add some ammonia and in a week your cycled

I’m thinking about 5-7 additional lbs of live rock. I’m set on the idea of getting a varied diversity from an established rock. My real concern is adding a fish too early, but if adding true live rock eliminates the waiting to add a fish process, then I’ll add a fish. I’m wondering what the best source of ammonia is based on adding actual live rock. Please don’t take this the wrong way, I understand that patience is key and about 15 years ago I had a 55gal fowlr, so I’m not “new” to salt, but many things have changed.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t add fish and ammonia. The ammonia will kill the fish.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s up to you. It’s your tank not mine.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I understand that, but should I just do a fish in cycle if I use live rock, or still do fish less?
assure ammonia is zero for at least 5 days before adding fish and will confirm live rock is helping water quality

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back