Cycling Question

ClearwaterReeferNoob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reef2Reef!

I setup my tank about 2 weeks ago and began the cycle with dry rock, Live Ocean sand, and a bottle of Dr. Tim's. I dosed the ammonia drops per instructions and have let the tank cycle. Today, I found an LFS that sells, wait for it, live rock for very cheap. $2 a lbs! It's full of life and sponges, so I picked up 20lbs of that and placed a few pieces in my display and the rest in the sump. I am worried about the snails that were attached to the rocks though. My seachem ammonia detector is showing "Alert" with .05 free ammonia. I don't want the snails to die and cause a massive ammonia spike, but I also don't want the snails to die. Should I try to pick them all out and bring them back, or do you think the live rock will have enough biofilm to process the ammonia in the tank?

OP
OP
C

ClearwaterReeferNoob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The plot thickens. I just saw what I believe to be a tiny octopus in the rock as well. Not sure what to do about him/her.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Badges aren't accurate and the live rock should be taking care of any ammonia issues.

Unsure what to do with the octopus

OP
OP
C

ClearwaterReeferNoob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, glad the snails will be okay. I don't know what to do with the little octopus though. I really don't want to kill him. I have no clue what he would eat and if my tank is Octo ready lol. It has an open mesh top. I live near the Gulf of Mexico, but I am not sure I can just release it into the ocean. That's how we got the lion fish issue down here.

OP
OP
C

ClearwaterReeferNoob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the snails die it won’t be from ammonia. With what you describe you could zero day start.

Sure it wasn’t a brittle star?
I'm 99% sure it's an octo. I can see his eye and his tentacle has suction cups on it. I wish I could get a clear pic of it.

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reef2Reef!

I setup my tank about 2 weeks ago and began the cycle with dry rock, Live Ocean sand, and a bottle of Dr. Tim's. I dosed the ammonia drops per instructions and have let the tank cycle. Today, I found an LFS that sells, wait for it, live rock for very cheap. $2 a lbs! It's full of life and sponges, so I picked up 20lbs of that and placed a few pieces in my display and the rest in the sump. I am worried about the snails that were attached to the rocks though. My seachem ammonia detector is showing "Alert" with .05 free ammonia. I don't want the snails to die and cause a massive ammonia spike, but I also don't want the snails to die. Should I try to pick them all out and bring them back, or do you think the live rock will have enough biofilm to process the ammonia in the tank?
That's a great price! Which LFS did you buy from?

OP
OP
C

ClearwaterReeferNoob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the best picture but it seems to have a snail in its cave here.
IMG_0901.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello Reef2Reef!

I would recommend a water change - as well as adding bacteria (like Fritz 9000). One issue with Dr. Tims (in my experience) - is that if you dose ammonia by counting the drops, it may not be 2 ppm. This is assuming that your Seachem alert it working properly.

OP
OP
C

ClearwaterReeferNoob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend a water change - as well as adding bacteria (like Fritz 9000). One issue with Dr. Tims (in my experience) - is that if you dose ammonia by counting the drops, it may not be 2 ppm. This is assuming that your Seachem alert it working properly.
I did a 35 gal water change yesterday. I will do another when my salt arrives. LFS doesn’t sell TM Pro unfortunately.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did a 35 gal water change yesterday. I will do another when my salt arrives. LFS doesn’t sell TM Pro unfortunately.
BTW - it's somewhat odd that with the rock you have, that your ammonia is high. (as others have mentioned) - I would double check it with another test.

OP
OP
C

ClearwaterReeferNoob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not terribly worried about the water. The snails at least are cruising around looking for food. I put some phytoplankton in there earlier today to help feed the snails. I was prepped and planning for them. The octopus however, I was not expecting and I don't really feel my tank is setup for an octopus. It's a tiny little thing, I think, it won't come out of the rock to tell honestly. I am worried it's going to starve to death. I don't want it to die, I would rather figure out what to do with it. I'm going to call the LFS in the morning and see if they have any suggestions. The tank doesn't have fish or anything in it, just the Octopus, but I like coral and fish. I like octopus too, just not what I have experience in keeping. My tank has an open lid. That alone is a no go for an escape artist such an octopus. I've posted in my local Reef Group on FB, but I think I'll post here as well in the FL one to see if any local people want it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back