Cycling tank question

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently set up a 100g innovative marine tank a month ago and put a few damsels in it to help cycle the tank. I've been running the lights for only 2 hours a day to limit algae growth. I want to add a zoa frag or 2 into the tank and see how they do, also meaning I would need run the lights for longer. Im nervous that if I crank the lights up to 8-10 hours a day then I will get a ton of excess algae growth. I've learned from my past tanks that algae growth during the cycle can get out of hand quickly. Is there anyway to limit this from happening? Any advice is appreciated.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on team patience.
If you know you are maturing the system in low light conditions to decrease algae issues, then having a few zoas isn't worth changing the plan over, right?

michigan-reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it matters too much. Do what makes you happy. Dealing with algae and a couple frags is not a big deal at all. However, I personally would increase the lights and give it another month, then if all is well add the frags.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently set up a 100g innovative marine tank a month ago and put a few damsels in it to help cycle the tank. I've been running the lights for only 2 hours a day to limit algae growth. I want to add a zoa frag or 2 into the tank and see how they do, also meaning I would need run the lights for longer. Im nervous that if I crank the lights up to 8-10 hours a day then I will get a ton of excess algae growth. I've learned from my past tanks that algae growth during the cycle can get out of hand quickly. Is there anyway to limit this from happening? Any advice is appreciated.
Hello, check out BRS recommendation on lights ! They say leave your lights off for the 1st 4 months of the tanks life, it will pay back 10 fold!! I can tell you this is absolutely true, I left mine off for 3.5 months and so far, (knocks on wood here) 8 months in and no ugly phase whatsoever. It is very much worth the wait. Fish do not need light, but inverts do. I also started adding copepods after the cycle.

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, check out BRS recommendation on lights ! They say leave your lights off for the 1st 4 months of the tanks life, it will pay back 10 fold!! I can tell you this is absolutely true, I left mine off for 3.5 months and so far, (knocks on wood here) 8 months in and no ugly phase whatsoever. It is very much worth the wait. Fish do not need light, but inverts do. I also started adding copepods after the cycle.
Yep. And that's EXACTLY where I was going with a recommendation. Something based on that. Maybe a little modified, as you didnt start with what they recommend, week by week. They have a step by step process to follow that will minimize the negative sides of cycling. I plan on following it to a tee. So, if no inverts, then wait on the lights. Definitely watch the video.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back