Cyphastrea Question

Trenton Henderson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I placed a meteor shower cyphastrea at the bottom of my tank (90-110 PAR). The polyps that are in the 90-100 PAR region stay fairly extended (not nearly as much as they used to be), but there is a 1-inch area on top where the light is about 110 PAR, I have lost a few polyps and the others remain tightly closed. I also recently extended my photoperiod by an hour.

I also bought a red monti-cap frag that will eventually help shade it, but that will take time. Do you think the polyp loss is light related? There is no tissue loss, just polyps in the one location.

Here are before and after pictures:

IMG_4261.jpeg

IMG_4289.jpeg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say. I have the same coral and I've placed in both higher and lower lighting areas and it didn't seem to make any difference. I've got a few small spots where it died off a bit which I think was due to shadowing.

OP
OP
T

Trenton Henderson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say. I have the same coral and I've placed in both higher and lower lighting areas and it didn't seem to make any difference. I've got a few small spots where it died off a bit which I think was due to shadowing.

I’ve seen that they like it around 80 PAR, but they just adjust slowly to higher light. Also, the spot it is in my tank will allow for encrusting without taking over my main aquascape, so I kinda want to keep it there. That being said, I also feel like moving it would just make it take longer to adjust, and if I don’t see tissue loss, it should be fine. Would you agree?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen that they like it around 80 PAR, but they just adjust slowly to higher light. Also, the spot it is in my tank will allow for encrusting without taking over my main aquascape, so I kinda want to keep it there. That being said, I also feel like moving it would just make it take longer to adjust, and if I don’t see tissue loss, it should be fine. Would you agree?
In general, yes. You may see a bit of polyp loss on the underside where PAR is very low.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never seen one that looks like pic one. Second pic looks normal, anyone?
I noticed yesterday at lfs the same coral was under a 15 head frogspawn. Polyps we much more extended than on mine at 150 par. Probably reaching for light.
Here is mine in my 20.
First under blue.
Second is under full setting.
20230630_204324.jpg
20230716_104428.jpg

OP
OP
T

Trenton Henderson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never seen one that looks like pic one. Second pic looks normal, anyone?
I noticed yesterday at lfs the same coral was under a 15 head frogspawn. Polyps we much more extended than on mine at 150 par. Probably reaching for light.
Here is mine in my 20.
First under blue.
Second is under full setting.
20230630_204324.jpg
20230716_104428.jpg

That’s kind of what I was thinking…I think mine was in very low blue lighting before, but I’ve heard that Tidal Gardens recommends under 100 PAR.

Double monti 61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think in a higher par they will survive and do well but they will not have the same polyp extension as they do in a lower par level.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 55
OP
OP
T

Trenton Henderson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think in a higher par they will survive and do well but they will not have the same polyp extension as they do in a lower par level.

I’ve also noticed that as the lights fade in and out for the day, the polyps come out more. Does yours grow fairly quickly? What light intensity is yours under?

bluemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a heads up on the placement.

If it is happy, it can absolutely TAKE OVER your rockwork and kill any other encrusting coral (SPS included) like a weed.

That's why a lot of people put it in its own rock

OP
OP
T

Trenton Henderson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a heads up on the placement.

If it is happy, it can absolutely TAKE OVER your rockwork and kill any other encrusting coral (SPS included) like a weed.

That's why a lot of people put it in its own rock

Yeah…I put it in a place where I could manage it if it started getting out of hand!

Double monti 61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That may happen in some systems but I have had no problems and the other encrusting coral that lives above it has no problem defending its space

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 60

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 65 31.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 57 27.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back