Dalua ILLUMAGIC X4

Hair Algae Wizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folks,

Did a search, but didn't find much on the Dalua X4. Is anyone using these on an SPS-dominant tank? How is the PAR? How is the app? Are there decent presets for SPS?

Appreciate any advice.

icedgxe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to be running the Blaze X’s on my new build. It’s a mixed reef but pretty SPS dominated. I haven’t filled the tank yet but took some par measurements in empty tank and I’m pretty impressed so far.

OP
OP
Hair Algae Wizard

Hair Algae Wizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to be running the Blaze X’s on my new build. It’s a mixed reef but pretty SPS dominated. I haven’t filled the tank yet but took some par measurements in empty tank and I’m pretty impressed so far.
Thanks. It's between the X4 or the Reefi Uno 2.0's. The Uno's are less expensive, but cost is secondary, as I prefer to get the best possible setup once, rather than have to upgrade again in 18 months.

icedgxe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. It's between the X4 or the Reefi Uno 2.0's. The Uno's are less expensive, but cost is secondary, as I prefer to get the best possible setup once, rather than have to upgrade again in 18 months.
I don’t have any direct experience with either, but have heard great things about both. The interchangeable clusters and lenses on the X’s is what made me go with them. I also wanted to try something different.

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like those X4’s. I’m 15 min from WWC so they are my lfs and I’ve seen those X4’s on both those tanks in that corner. They moved them to the tank on the right a few months back.

I was there the other day around 6pm, so when the tanks were all blue and the pop from the X4’s is very impressive, especially compared to the radion tank next to it. They have this different glow to them. Very nice.

OP
OP
Hair Algae Wizard

Hair Algae Wizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm torn between the X4's and the Reefi Uno 2.0's. My worry is making a costly mistake. Dalua puts off an ever-so-slight snake oil vibe. The argument about watts/PAR and how everyone has it wrong but them seems a bit like pseudo-science, but I certainly could be wrong.

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Reefi Uno 2 Pro is a proven light, and it's less expensive. I haven't seen anything about Dalua other than marketing. I'm a kessil guys personally, but I would go with a Reefi over Dalua or Radion. It's a proven light and a better value. I don't see the Dalua offering anything over the Reefi. I'm sure they will both grow coral. You really just need to decide what look you prefer. For what it's worth, the Reefi is over twice the power at much less cost. From the photo's I've seen, the Dalua also seems to have significant disco ball effect, if that matters to you. The "Watts, you're being lied to" does give snake oil Noopsyche vibes. They went after Reefi in a similar way.

Last edited:

Matt79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folks,

Did a search, but didn't find much on the Dalua X4. Is anyone using these on an SPS-dominant tank? How is the PAR? How is the app? Are there decent presets for SPS?

Appreciate any advice.
I just ordered the 72" Beast Mode. I'll let you know when I receive & setup.

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pretty sure Koralito and also reefer_NYC are running these lights .. Many YT channels w/ reviwes (may try Parkers Reef) Pretty common Aus. lights that are now taking a hold in US market. I have thought about getting some also.

BR260354

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm torn between the X4's and the Reefi Uno 2.0's. My worry is making a costly mistake. Dalua puts off an ever-so-slight snake oil vibe. The argument about watts/PAR and how everyone has it wrong but them seems a bit like pseudo-science, but I certainly could be wrong.
I'm in the same boat. I'm down to Reefi Uno 2, Dalua X4, and Orphek Icons. I like the interface for the Dalua, especially with the geo-location. I'm ok with the watts/PAR discussion.

So, have you picked yet?

OP
OP
Hair Algae Wizard

Hair Algae Wizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same boat. I'm down to Reefi Uno 2, Dalua X4, and Orphek Icons. I like the interface for the Dalua, especially with the geo-location. I'm ok with the watts/PAR discussion.

So, have you picked yet?
Not yet. I'm still trying to figure it out. I was leaning toward the Reefi, but the interface is awful. I'm not an expert on spectrum, and I think the Reefi is designed more for folks who genuinely understand how to set all the individual colors, etc. I need something more plug-and-play. With that said, they seem to have excellent support.

The X4 looks interesting, but I'm not sure it's suitable for a hardcore SPS tank.

Radion G6s would be my first choice, mostly because of their plug-and-play nature, but the price is just too high.

BR260354

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the UI on the Reefi. TBH, probably the one thing that is kinda keeping me away...but not out of the running just yet.

I have a XR15 G6 on my 200xl. Upgrading to a 4ft peninsula, hence all the research on what to do next. Originally, 2 XR30 G6, but you're correct on the price. Mobius will just lose time sync on me every now and then. I walk by and wonder why my lights are off. I check the time in the app and it's some random day in the middle of the night 2065 or whatever year it seems to want. I just sync the time....but WHY?? :anguished-face:

X4 is slightly cheaper and looks to have a cool UI. Orphek, people seem to like and just deal with the burn nodes (really?).

Good luck with your hunt. I'm still planning so I have some time.

icedgxe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been running my setup ( 4 - Blaze X minis and two 36” Meso blue bars) for a couple of months now and I’m really liking the lights so far. Growth and color are improving in most everything even considering a large alk drop due to clogged tubing. A couple of pieces have lost some color due to higher par and swings due to the new tank, but overall I’m pleased. I’ll be adding a couple of pixels to the end (with lenses removed) for a little more spread, without increasing par much. I want the edges to be lower par zones.

Attachments

• IMG_8938.jpeg
    IMG_8938.jpeg
    81.5 KB · Views: 41

Matt79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, any update?
I received my order. Changed a few things before they shipped. Went with a 60" rail & light bars. Top notch customer service.

The lights are wifi app operated. Very very easy to install (close to plug & play). They have pre-made light settings you can use or you can use someone else's. 5⭐️ from me.
1000002040.jpg

OP
OP
Hair Algae Wizard

Hair Algae Wizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my order. Changed a few things before they shipped. Went with a 60" rail & light bars. Top notch customer service.

The lights are wifi app operated. Very very easy to install (close to plug & play). They have pre-made light settings you can use or you can use someone else's. 5⭐️ from me.
1000002040.jpg
Thanks Matt79, and GREAT looking tank!

BR260354

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree, thanks for sharing @Matt79

I'm trying to find out if Dalua will mount to an 80/20 rail system. Mainly the 1515. Per Dalua, they want it to be 2" wide (their rail). 1515 is 1.5". Anyone try the 80/20 for Dalua?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 135 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 108 34.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%

Back