Dawn's 30g XH coral Pony corral!

shornik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the comforting response. I appreciate your kind words. I have been preparing myself for harsh responses but thankfully so far have not recieved any of those.
I will order a little girl to keep Eve company when I am sure the tank is settled and safe. Its a bit more of a mixed specie tank than I would like with Eve, the seahorse, Abraham, the pipefish, KB, the royal gramma and Baby, my hand raised clown. Baby is 7 years old and KB is probably 4-5 years old so it may be a while before I can make it a specie specific tank again.

Ha, I have the same issue. I called my tank the seahorse tank but in reality I have 6 cardinal fish, 2 gobies, 2 cleaner shrimp and then 2 seahorses :)

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eve is doing very well. I would love to get her a friend but I just don't know if a new pony would be stressed with my 2 fish. The last thing I want is to go through the pain of losing another pony. It makes me sad to see Eve by herself.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I talked (via email)to a very knowledgeable person from Ocean Rider about introducing a seahorse or two to my tank with the fish in it. He thought since my clown is and always has been a lone clown that he would be ok. As a lone clown he is not territorial about egg laying spots and that keeps him docile.

His caution was that I make sure my parameters are within bounds, which they are excellant. I am going to wait a little while just to make sure the tank is stable and settled. I think I may add 2 seahorses when I add them.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't wait to see them, you'll need to keep us all posted on your plans.
I will definitely do that. I am excited about the prospects of more ponies. And I have multiple options....
do I get a mated pair? Do I get 2 females but then there is always the possibility that a female will turn male, (because thats what they do sometimes)?
Do I try to get a certain color...but then they may not stay that color anyway in my tank. Lots of things to think about.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some sump maintenance this past weekend in preparation of getting another seahorse or two. My sump is in a basement fish room next to a floor drain so maintenance is fairly easy. I removed the rock I had in it and scraped/cleaned all the surfaces of algae and scum build up. Then I syphoned all the water out along with any debris/detritus that had accumulated. I was due for a water change anyway. When I filled it back up I added a filter pad just for the weekend to capture any gunk I may have stirred up. I will be removing that today.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So sad to hear about Adam. Looking forward to seeing the new ponies though. Still following! :)

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, this is going to seem a bit impetuous but I bought a 56 gallon column tank and stand this evening. Losing Adam made me re-evaluate my system.

I have been pondering removing the sand bed. I believe it is easier to keep detritus at a minimum with a bare bottom tank. Unfortunately I do not like that look, so I decided that I needed to paint the bottom so that it looked like it had a substrate. That is not such an easy feat when a tank is up and running. I just realized now that I bought this tank that it has a plastic brace across the bottom. That is going to make painting the whole bottom a challenge, ha ha. I am not sure how I will deal with that.

But back to why I bought a tank upgrade...since I was going to take all the rock and livestock out of the tank, if ever there was a time to upgrade to a bigger tank it was now!

The idea was especially attractive since I had just read an article on influencing the color of seahorses by the backround color. I have always painted my back walls black so the equipment will blend in but that was before ponies. I would like to paint this tank's back wall a misty blue/aqua to encourage light colored ponies. Seahorses are similar to chameleons in that they change colors to blend in. My black backround was no doubt encouraging my ponies to be dark horses.

Lastly, I love the thought of having more than a single pair of ponies. I can have a little herd and that is exciting.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomorrow this beloved tank is coming down. Actually the 30 gallon XH aquarium came down October 2015 at which time I transferred my seahorses and compatible coral coral into this 36 gallon bowfront.

I have had the bowfront up and running since December 2012. It has housed nems, LPS, softies a multitude of fish and seahorses.

Of the tanks that I have had this has been my favorite. I am only upgrading because my new love of seahorses has made me realize its limitations for keeping them., namely being that it is only big enough for 1 pair of ponies. Erectus seahorses also should have a slightly higher tank for courtship.

Farewell bowfront, you were an excellant aquarium!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back