Dawn's 36g Bowfront tank

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool dawn I like the idea of the sand bed creating a stepped look in the tank. Glad to here Rosey found a new happy spot. I never have any luck keeping anemones in one spot, they always seem happy for a while, then they decide the grass is greener some where else (usually on top of a coral or 2).

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool dawn I like the idea of the sand bed creating a stepped look in the tank. Glad to here Rosey found a new happy spot. I never have any luck keeping anemones in one spot, they always seem happy for a while, then they decide the grass is greener some where else (usually on top of a coral or 2).
I talked to my old boss about the multi level in the tank and she didn't foresee a problem. It will diminish volume some but then so does rock. I hope I don't find out the hard way why nobody does this, ha ha. Right now I am working on how to create flow without powerheads in the seahorse tank. I'm thinking some sort of spray bar. I hear PH are death to seahorses because their tails get chopped up in them, ouch!!!
And yes, Rosey seems happy at the moment but who knows where I will find him tomorrow? LOL

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I looked in the tank and my new pink hammer was receded all the way back into its skeleton. I wasn't sure why but decided to move it just in case Rosey was stinging it. An hour later it was fine. Rosey must be a stinging killing machine is all I can figure. I will have to watch to make sure he is keeping his tentacles to himself!

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Video

[video=youtube_share;-YT2kLGB-ac]http://youtu.be/-YT2kLGB-ac[/video]

Hey all, with the help of my brother in law who was visiting, I got a video of my tank so come take a tour with me!

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Dawn,

I enjoyed the video. :) What kind of anemone is on the bottom right side?

Going back a few pages / months ... my Midas Blenny never grazed until I added a yellow tang, then he decided to do whatever the tang did, which included eating all the goodies off my unscraped tank walls. Funny characters.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nem is the supposed Rose Bubble Tip. The tentacles are never very bubbly but it has a pleasing reddish rose color so I don't know for sure. I was forced to peel it off the opposite rock work because it was parked right under my clam who was very stressed. Its been in its present spot almost 2 weeks so here's hoping it stays put! I know you have had similar frustrations with traveling nems.
BTW, welcome to R2R!!! I like this forum because I have an app that makes it easy to navigate on my mini tablet. There are also a lot of friendly folks here.

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nem is the supposed Rose Bubble Tip. The tentacles are never very bubbly but it has a pleasing reddish rose color so I don't know for sure. I was forced to peel it off the opposite rock work because it was parked right under my clam who was very stressed. Its been in its present spot almost 2 weeks so here's hoping it stays put! I know you have had similar frustrations with traveling nems.
BTW, welcome to R2R!!! I like this forum because I have an app that makes it easy to navigate on my mini tablet. There are also a lot of friendly folks here.

I see the bubble tip int he video, and it looks like a bubble tip, but the nem looking thing on the lower right in the video? Long clear tentacles with a white disc?

I had been a supporting member here but somehow my membership lapsed so I re-upped. I enjoy the eye candy, and tolerate some of the over-the-top coral collector madness. :D

I miss the like button though, and I'm certainly not a facebook fan, but I enjoy liking posts so people get notified I visited.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see the bubble tip int he video, and it looks like a bubble tip, but the nem looking thing on the lower right in the video? Long clear tentacles with a white disc?

I had been a supporting member here but somehow my membership lapsed so I re-upped. I enjoy the eye candy, and tolerate some of the over-the-top coral collector madness. :D

I miss the like button though, and I'm certainly not a facebook fan, but I enjoy liking posts so people get notified I visited.

O, you mean the curly que anemone? It came with the pistol shrimp that I ordered to pair with my yasha goby. Anyway, the pistol shrimp was already attached to that anemone and they set up house right there in the front of the tank, which I thought was rather accommodating of them.. Its actually in the aiptasia family ( which is scary) and they will eat small fish but so far my fish seem to know to stay away. I avoid feeding it too much as I don't want it to divide. One curly que is nice but no more.
I never thought of using the 'like' button that way but that is a good idea.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to buy some dragons breath from a local aquarist and planned to put it in the seahorse tank. Since the pony tank is cycling I dumped most of it in the sump but decided to put a little in with the LPS. It adds a very nice splash of color!

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a surprise yesterday. I looked in the tank and was saddened to to see Rosey looking very deflated and not too good. Since I was in the middle of planting flowers I figured I'd investigate further when I got done. When I came in from the outside and went to feed my fish, imagine my surprise when Rosey not only looked fine but both of them looked fine! Roesey divided!!! Now I'm guessing that she is reacting to me cooling off the tank in preparation for seahorses.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
HA! Congrats!

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got home from a long weekend with my son and his wife, (which was great) and found one of the nem's had moved to the other side of the rock. His new spot is OK but there is not as much light there so I guess I better target feed it more.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed that Firefly, my purple firefish isn't looking very well lately. He's pretty old, around 5 years I think. Does anyone know what their lifespans are?

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 14 63.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 4.5%
Back