DI cartridge alternative?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a completely different ro setup for my home drinking water with a little pressure tank. It was installed by the seller shortly before we bought the home. Then I had the company come out and replace all the ro filters.. my rodi setup for fish is a completely separate system in the basement
I thought about that but instead I installed a single system and teed off after the membranes before the di resin and the tee flows regular RO for the tank under the sink and freezer ice maker. Best part about this is my Gal thinks I put the system in for her because she doesn't like our tap water. Win win :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Makes sense exactly what I was curious about. Silly maybe question, and slightly off topic. Are all the other resins that change color extremely evenident? I.e. the cation & mixed bed how the anion completely turns a different color? I only ask as I'm partly colorblind and feel maybe should have asked the wife to take a look at them before use lol
Mine are pretty obvious. I ran seperate anion and cation but switched back to mixed bed. Even the non color changing mixed bed for me tends to change a little the bottom up gets a little lighter colored . I don't feel the need for color changing resin when using mixed bed. I run two di canisters with a TDS meter between them. When the TDS show 1 out of the first I rotate the last canister to the first position and place a newly filled canister in the last housing. I like the two canister in case I get lazy or forget to keep an eye on the meter I'll still have 0 TDS going into my storage container.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn’t most of the dissolved solids being filtered by RO membrane? The DI membrane filters out the remaining few TDS right?

That's true. Did I say something to suggest otherwise?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense exactly what I was curious about. Silly maybe question, and slightly off topic. Are all the other resins that change color extremely evenident? I.e. the cation & mixed bed how the anion completely turns a different color? I only ask as I'm partly colorblind and feel maybe should have asked the wife to take a look at them before use lol

I've never looked to compare color changing colors, but it is just a pH dye so they may vary.

For many purposes, a TDS meter can be a better bet than a color change.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a completely different ro setup for my home drinking water with a little pressure tank. It was installed by the seller shortly before we bought the home. Then I had the company come out and replace all the ro filters.. my rodi setup for fish is a completely separate system in the basement
If you are only doing fish and your RO output is 3 then I suspect that you don't need the DI filtration at all. I would test the RO water to find out what you have in your water after its filtered because if you don't have anything other that CO2 I think your well water after ro is fine. Ditch the resin. It might be good enough for coral if you are lucky?

OP
OP
C

Contractor_Chris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are only doing fish and your RO output is 3 then I suspect that you don't need the DI filtration at all. I would test the RO water to find out what you have in your water after its filtered because if you don't have anything other that CO2 I think your well water after ro is fine. Ditch the resin. It might be good enough for coral if you are lucky?
I worded that poorly. I plan to do fish & coral. Just habit to say fish because until now I've only done fresh water set ups and the other guy mentioned drinking water. And I don't use the same ro set up for HOBBY vs personal consumption.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worded that poorly. I plan to do fish & coral. Just habit to say fish because until now I've only done fresh water set ups and the other guy mentioned drinking water. And I don't use the same ro set up for HOBBY vs personal consumption.
I got those points. I understand some folks remineralize their RODI water for drinking because it is supposed to be better for you.

My point, is that your well water might be superior to the tap water I have. I use RODI, RO comes out 30-90ppm. If mine was 3 like yours I might not try and strip CO2 because depending on what else is in the water, 3 is very low and may not be a problem at all for mixing REEF water??

I would get your well water tested to see what is in it? I used to use well water for a reef tank straight out of the ground without issues. I miss that well, but we moved and that's all!

OP
OP
C

Contractor_Chris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got those points. I understand some folks remineralize their RODI water for drinking because it is supposed to be better for you.

My point, is that your well water might be superior to the tap water I have. I use RODI, RO comes out 30-90ppm. If mine was 3 like yours I might not try and strip CO2 because depending on what else is in the water, 3 is very low and may not be a problem at all for mixing REEF water??

I would get your well water tested to see what is in it? I used to use well water for a reef tank straight out of the ground without issues. I miss that well, but we moved and that's all!
How/who tests for me to find out? I know it was tested some way some how 2 years ago when I moved in. And it sat un-used for almost a year. So I bet it would test different now.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How/who tests for me to find out? I know it was tested some way some how 2 years ago when I moved in. And it sat un-used for almost a year. So I bet it would test different now.
I don't know who might do this for you in your neighborhood? I would suspect that a well drilling company could provide that service or tell you who can?

The people who sell RODI and water softeners might have tested it?

I live in the City so the County publishes analysis of our water. There may be a similar analysis of well water in your county with average levels of the commonly found constituents in your ground water?

I think an ICP test might also give you some information?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back