Diatom filter for treating external parasites?

Stylo328

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue and got a reply from Jeff (the eBay seller), who's very courteous and helpful.
"You will get powder in the tank occasionally when you charge the filter. It is not great for the fish, but it will not harm them.
I have used diatom filters for years. Apply some silicone lubricant to the jar o-ring the next time you change powder.
That should reduce the bubbles, or make sure your suction hose connections are tight."

I applied some silicone lubricant around the o-ring but I'm still seeing bubbles every few minutes.
The bubbles don't bother me since it's in the sump and the baffles reduce them dramatically by the time it reaches the return pump.

I have tried the same and have been unable to eradicate the bubbles. What I did was place a ball valve on the output end and when throttled down a 1/4 turn, the bubbles all but go away. I also use it in the sump, so whatever few bubbles get in are addressed by the baffles.

Good luck!

bfliflet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Minor update. I've been running a Vortex XL on my 360g reef tank since last Wednesday. The tank had been battling ich for a few weeks. The use of UV, medicated foods for ICH, cleaner shrimp and cleaner wrasse were helping but not getting ahead of the problem. Saturday morning, my indicator fish, a Blue Hippo Tang, looked spotless. The same goes for my other tangs. Late last week they were covered bad. They've been spotless since Saturday. I won't necessarily attribute it to the diatom filter as it took a while to kick in but, anecdotally, it definitely appeared to help. As someone else put it, it's a tool not a cure. I'll be running it through Saturday before I take it offline while I go on vacation. It'll be interesting to see where the ich is at, if anywhere, when I return. Long term, I'll probably use it as a short-term problem solver - clarity, ich, etc. The regular release of bubbles is annoying.

I did experiment with running the unit upside down and alleviate bubble production for an hour or two. I would then flip it right-side up to eject the accumulated bubble in the cannister. I would oscillate that pattern every couple hours when I could. Be forewarned that a large bubble can prevent the pump from working. Simply tilt the unit until the impeller was part way in the water to eject the bubbles.

I would caution anyone reading this to be prepared before buying one. These units have extremely poor designs. It's easy to spew diatomaceous earth back into the tank. Priming can be a challenge for some. The bubbles are annoying for anything but temporary use (unless run on a sump). Bottom-line: glad I have it on hand but now I know why they never became mainstream -- their poor design makes for a bad customer experience.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes Bobby I really like this new filter by MarineLand it is so easy to set up and use. Way easier than the vortex DE filter I use to use. An no leaking water lines or pump so you don't have to set it in a bucket to use it.:) I will video tape how to use it for Marine use the next time I use it.So everyone can see how easy it is to use.:)

Stylo328

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a heads up in case the filter below hasn't already been mentioned in this thread...

According to @reefwiser you can use diatomaceous earth with this filter: http://www.marineland.com/Products/...protein-skimmers/Magnum-Polishing-Filter.aspx

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C8PH0OI/

Yes Bobby I really like this new filter by MarineLand it is so easy to set up and use. Way easier than the vortex DE filter I use to use. An no leaking water lines or pump so you don't have to set it in a bucket to use it.:) I will video tape how to use it for Marine use the next time I use it.So everyone can see how easy it is to use.:)

I would love to learn more about how this filter is used with DE. I gave my vortex XL to a friend who needed it more than I did and was getting ready to order a second when I saw this post.

bfliflet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to learn more about how this filter is used with DE. I gave my vortex XL to a friend who needed it more than I did and was getting ready to order a second when I saw this post.
If it's anything like the original Magnum Cannister filters, they have a pleated micron cartridge. Just add DE. I loved those original Magnum filters. They are way easier to use than the Vortex. The only downside is that the surface area through the micron cartridge is much lower and plugs up quite easily. I could see one used for small tanks for more continuous / treatment purposes.

Amboss72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the previously mentioned Marineland canister filter with DE for the past few months. It's super easy to charge with DE. Simply put it in a bucket of RODI water along with 6 tablespoons of DE and run it until the water in the bucket is clear. The micron filter is then charged and ready for use. This unit replaced the Magnum Hot. Super easy to use and at a price of $50 hard to beat! Filters 290 gallons per hour. No more vortex for me; too much of a pain to use!

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally had time to finish the video up.

Hey Ed. Just for clarification purposes.... That was a tablespoon you were using to measure the DE. You kept saying teaspoon. Which is the correct amount? I assume tablespoon since it worked so well for you, but I wanted to clarify with you.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tablespoon, That why I had a shot of the spoon.:) For some reason everyone in the marine hobby forgot about DE in their maintenance as well as treatment options. I think everyone is worried it will strip the water too clean. Well that is not possible as the corals and organisms we keep are always releasing to the water column.

ROD SCOTT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In another thread, it has been postulated that a diatom filter can be effectively used to filter out the free swimming stage of ich, velvet, etc. The poster provided the two links below as evidence to support his theory:

http://aquarticles.com/articles/management/Lawler_Diatomfilters.html

Excerpt:

https://www.lsuagcenter.com/NR/rdon...F6-280F1BA996E2/393/LA_redfish_production.pdf

Excerpt:
aquaculturelo-png.259214

aquaculture-png.259215

I'm taking the opposing view. While a diatom filter may be useful for managing the presence of ich, akin to a UV sterilizer; I don't see how it can possibly remove all of the free swimming parasites from the water before at least one attaches to a fish and the parasite's life cycle begins anew. I also don't see how it can be used to control velvet, due to the sheer number of dinospores (free swimmers) active in the water when velvet is present.

But hey, maybe I'm wrong! ;) With this is mind, I'd like to test a diatom filter's effectiveness out on Marine Velvet Disease. I regularly acquire fish with velvet for experimentation purposes. However, I am lacking in knowledge on how to properly setup & use a diatom for disease control, what size diatom filter to get, how long to treat for, etc. etc. So I am reaching out to anyone who has experience using a diatom filter. I would like to know:

Is a diatom capable of completely eradicating parasites from an aquarium, especially velvet? Or is it just an indefinite maintenance tool (like a UV sterilizer)?

What size diatom filter would I need to treat a test subject with velvet in a 29 gal QT? How long would I need to treat for before the fish could be considered parasite free?

What other diseases is a diatom filter supposedly capable of managing or eradicating? Ich, velvet, brook, uronema, gill flukes, internal parasites, bacterial infections???

Please discuss below! :)
i have been blessed to have always had a diatom filter available model d1. as part of my maintenance i have diatomed the and bed then polished the water running it up to 24 hours when ever the fish have shown distress. my latest mixed reef display tank has been up and running for over 26 years. no quarantine tank. i have never had a fish sick for more than a few days. heat slowly up 79/80, salinity down to 1.020 solely, and diatom both the sand bed and run the water polishing to remove all free swimming parasites. do this every few days until no signs remain. my display tank fish live 2 to 3 times as long as the published life expectancy. ie my flame angle is 20+ years and is as healthy a the day i bought him. sailfin tang 25+ years, 3 striped damsel passed away from ich, my guess 30 years now for thee fist time i have a new 240 gal that as ich, so bad that that i lost 12 tangs and others over two weeks. the fish were very ill although not obvious at the time of purchase. after week one the remaining fish appear to be getting not worst/better. over the next few weeks i will continue t diatom both sand and water to remove the most of the remaining eggs and freeswimming parisites.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rod sadly most younger hobbyist have never been shown the basic use of a Diatom filter. I use mine all the time when cleaning my tank it helps so much. After removing the sand bed in my tank I had some cyno show up. I used my turkey baster and Diatom filter to get it out of my tank. I always try to use the simple method instead of throwing tons of chemicals and antibiotics into my tank. You then create your own chemistry experiment.:)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally had time to finish the video up.

Great video! I almost picked one up the day before I saw this but was on the fence. After watching, I picked it up and love it!

cono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how big of a tank is this filter good for and would I need more than one on a 180 gallon

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how big of a tank is this filter good for and would I need more than one on a 180 gallon
It depends on how long you want to leave it in the tank for. I have around 140g total volume and it takes 2 or 3 hours to clean up my water after I finish cleaning the tank.

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul B. [emoji3]
I have used a diatom filter and it can be used for ick. Haven't tried it on velvet. You can use a small size one. I am in the process of buying a new one as my old one gave up the ghost this year. Would never run a aquarium system without one around. Helps keep the tank clean and healthy.
what would you have to do to use a diatom filter on multiple tanks for parasite control? i dont want to cross contaminate by using it on a QT,HT and DT. What steps if any would i have to take? Thank Tom

ROD SCOTT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NO WORRIES, FILTER SOAKED IN BLEACH WATER RINSE BOTTLE AND PUMP SECTION WITH WATER AFTER FILTER SOAKS OVERNIGHT

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back