Did you paint your aquarium anything but black?

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw one aquarium somewhere with a light bright blue - made the tank look Caribbean and super clean ..

I know overtime most gets blocked, but does anyone paint colors besides black and how is it? I’m wondering if it’ll just constantly look dirty or annoying after awhile.

We can kind of see an inch behind the tank so I thought of leaving it open - but the overflow will likely be there so likely not.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw one aquarium somewhere with a light bright blue - made the tank look Caribbean and super clean ..

I know overtime most gets blocked, but does anyone paint colors besides black and how is it? I’m wondering if it’ll just constantly look dirty or annoying after awhile.

We can kind of see an inch behind the tank so I thought of leaving it open - but the overflow will likely be there so likely not.
I painted the bottom of my frag tank white, I recommend it if you like the look. Black will absorb light whereas white or light colors will reflect, effectively increasing the PAR inside your tank.

56longroof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've painted several tanks different shades of blue. It seemed like a popular choice in the 90's. I like the black background now. It adds depth to the tank in my opinion.

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've painted several tanks different shades of blue. It seemed like a popular choice in the 90's. I like the black background now. It adds depth to the tank in my opinion.
The black definitely seems like a safe choice. I didn’t think I’d ever like the blue because it reminds of pet stores — but this sky blue I saw looked classy. This would be first time painting one so didn’t know if it’s usually regretted

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I painted the bottom of my frag tank white, I recommend it if you like the look. Black will absorb light whereas white or light colors will reflect, effectively increasing the PAR inside your tank.
Did you paint it for the par, or to see hitch hikers etc?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Im throwing the idea around of painting corals and stuff on the base since my tank is FOWLR but not sure if that would look good or not. Its a nice stained wood now…

Formulator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this paper type backing taped on the back of mine. It was covered in coralline and GSP eventually, but it looked really nice for the first year or so.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/seascape-natural-mystic-aquarium-backgrounds-seaview.html

IMG_3897.jpeg

JoeyBagadonuts

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s all personal preference. I know black is supposed to give you better definition and make certain colors pop. I ended up painting my background blue. To me blue is more natural. I never did any dives where I saw black background. Lol. I’ve seen some actual backlit backgrounds that looked amazing because you have the fade of color like you see in real life.

Ironwill723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Blue for me as well. Everyone does black. I think black is dark and boring. Blue reminds me of snorkeling in the ocean.

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
90s tank was some shade of blue. Recall it looking sharp against the then popular dolomite substrate. Thinking bluish gray next. Needs to be a shade that doesn’t mimic any life to be added otherwise that life might blend in and not be seen. Such as black fish against black backgrounds

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually paint them black, but for my 300 gallon I painted the back of my tank a dark navy blue. It looked great. Ultimately it didn't matter since its now covered in coralline algae.

56longroof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If your undecided you can get rolls of paper in different colors at Hobby Lobby or similar craft stores. This way you can try different shades of blue and a black and pick your favorite.
The black definitely seems like a safe choice. I didn’t think I’d ever like the blue because it reminds of pet stores — but this sky blue I saw looked classy. This would be first time painting one so didn’t know if it’s usually regretted

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your undecided you can get rolls of paper in different colors at Hobby Lobby or similar craft stores. This way you can try different shades of blue and a black and pick your favorite.
That’s probly the smartest idea.. we are currently painting a kids table blue and I was about to cut a plank of wood and paint it to put behind the QT to see how it looked.. paper seems way easier haha

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I want to be able to control the "hue" of my tank background from dark to light blue!

I love the way @ReefStash has his set up like that. Here is his tank and maybe he will chime in here!
1716307699689.png

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to be able to control the "hue" of my tank background from dark to light blue!

I love the way @ReefStash has his set up like that. Here is his tank and maybe he will chime in here!
1716307699689.png
Thought of a translucent background that reflects light and hook up an RGB light to it and change based on my mood for the day. Seen them at boat shows where light at one end illuminates the entire glass panel. Probably the way LED TVs work.

Ironwill723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That’s probly the smartest idea.. we are currently painting a kids table blue and I was about to cut a plank of wood and paint it to put behind the QT to see how it looked.. paper seems way easier haha
Oracle 651 vinyl is what I use.

Back