Dino - restart or is it madness? (Way fight)

klavmaister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a total crash, where I also got dino, I'm considering a restart. How to avoid bringing dino further? is it as simple as 100% water change or does everything have to be sterilized?

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need bio diversity to out compete dinos.
But the thing is, i don't think you found out what made your tank crash the last time.

I really don't think you can 100% avoid dinos in a new tank.
You can minimize it greatly, but completely skip it... you'd need to be BRS to pull something like that off.

Maybe use a Algae Turf Scrubber imediately after cycle, and control dose Nitrate and Phos as needed, so they don't bottom out to 0 from ATS.

Mwatts12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried it all. Even did a restart with all KP ocean live rock and had detectable nitrates and phos.

Just let them pass is the only 100% effective way. All other treatments just post pone the outbreak.

I’m on month 7 waiting for them and to completely be gone.

A restart will only get you them again.

Patience and time

Amber.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard great success with coral snow and Microbacter 7 cocktail. DIY coral snow (calcium carbonate powder + Microbacter 7). It will coat everything and help restore bacteria to your substrate and rocks. Give it a whirl for a few days. (Weeks*) Should be under $20 to make.
Heres a good read for you -

Last edited:

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don't confuse dinos with cyano.

And no, it is not a 100% certainty. Don't over filter a new tank (no need for a reef mat, etc.) and you likely won't have Dino's. Likewise, there is no need to start "carbon" dosing or directly dosing phos/nitrate right off the bat (if ever if you don't over filter). So many new reefers face so many self inflected problems because so many talking heads pass so much bad information in the name of "content".

Last edited:

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask 2 hobbyists, get 2 answers. So just keep that in mind. I’ve built 2 tanks, the first had Dino’s because I thought zero PO4 was a good thing. I was wrong. I turned to macks Facebook page and got the info I needed to get rid of them. The second start was unexpected and used new live sand and there were Dino’s in the sand bed when I looked under the microscope. They went away with a little Si dosing.
so I’m saying don’t restart, just go here and learn to win the battle.

Some others on here say RIP clean is the only way, but that’s not accurate, and like what was already stated, even after a RIP clean, they will likely come back. It can work, but it’s not a guarantee.

Learn the why, the what, and then the how, and you’ll be just fine.

Last edited:

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard great success with coral snow and Microbacter 7 cocktail. DIY coral snow (calcium carbonate powder + Microbacter 7). It will coat everything and help restore bacteria to your substrate and rocks. Give it a whirl for a few days. Should be under $20 to make.
Heres a good read for you -
No Dino outbreak can be eliminated in a few days. It just doesn’t work that way unfortunately. Bacteria doesn’t need help getting on surfaces. So you’re just polluting your tank for no reason. You need something that will replicate and outcompete for the space. Diatoms have been proven to be that foe against Dinos. And unlike nuisance algae, the diatoms will overtake everything and then leave on their own without having to deal with a secondary pest like GHA or worse. Once the Si is gone, the diatoms vanish as fast as they came. And by that time, the biodiversity from the bacteria have the foothold. Takes a couple months but it eventually happens.

Edit: I wasn’t trying to shut down the idea of bacteria dosing, in fact it’s quite necessary, I just don’t see the advantage to using something to help the bacteria coat surfaces to get it done in a few days. To hope it doesn’t come across as arrogant.

Last edited:

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A UV can be a tremendous help for some dino outbreaks as well. Not a bad item to keep in the drawer even if you don't subscribe to the idea of running UV 24/7

Amber.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No Dino outbreak can be eliminated in a few days. It just doesn’t work that way unfortunately. Bacteria doesn’t need help getting on surfaces. So you’re just polluting your tank for no reason. You need something that will replicate and outcompete for the space. Diatoms have been proven to be that foe against Dinos. And unlike nuisance algae, the diatoms will overtake everything and then leave on their own without having to deal with a secondary pest like GHA or worse. Once the Si is gone, the diatoms vanish as fast as they came. And by that time, the biodiversity from the bacteria have the foothold. Takes a couple months but it eventually happens.

Edit: I wasn’t trying to shut down the idea of bacteria dosing, in fact it’s quite necessary, I just don’t see the advantage to using something to help the bacteria coat surfaces to get it done in a few days. To hope it doesn’t come across as arrogant.
Oh no no. I was primarily sharing an idea I’ve come across on multiple forums for many years in the battle against Dino’s. To keep dosing it daily. I’ve read that many people kick up the sand in their tank too and then dose the flocculant and that helps capture all the “fun” stuff and remove it out in socks/skimmers/rollers.

It’s wonderful to share ideas and have conversations about probable solutions. A constructive conversation is difficult to have now’adays.

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no no. I was primarily sharing an idea I’ve come across on multiple forums for many years in the battle against Dino’s. To keep dosing it daily. I’ve read that many people kick up the sand in their tank too and then dose the flocculant and that helps capture all the “fun” stuff and remove it out in socks/skimmers/rollers.

It’s wonderful to share ideas and have conversations about probable solutions. A constructive conversation is difficult to have now’adays.
100% agreed. The more we know and pass on the better. Some of the stuff we have debunked over time. Like blackout cures… thanks for being cool.
My wife says I need to use more emojis to add connotations to my writing. I’m 50 so the only mojo I use and like is the poop one, but it’s not used here haha

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 43 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 155 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.1%
Back