Dinoflagellates - dinos a possible cure!? Follow along and see!

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. The answer is back in this thread, i came up with a formula a while back. .003 divided by bleach percentage multiplied by gallons in tank. This is the ml of bleach used every 12hr

Twillard pushed this way beyond the limit before killing any fish
Hmm..interesting....how many days for a the dosing..

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. The answer is back in this thread, i came up with a formula a while back. .003 divided by bleach percentage multiplied by gallons in tank. This is the ml of bleach used every 12hr

Twillard pushed this way beyond the limit before killing any fish
That would have been 2 ml for me then....I had osteo amd the lower amounts didn't do anything for the dinos....I had to put in about 6 to 8 ml just to get it to work.....

badd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been several weeks since I stop dosing.. still dino free.. and all live stock is happy.. all corals are happy.. but I did notice one thing.. well 2 things...lol.. first it did seem to affect my GBTA.. it has bleached..turned white (only green under blues now) and moved(grrr).. looking like the bleach also killed all the dinos in the BTA? Second.. a new green algae(looks like turf) is growing.. but emeralds and turbos just love this new green.. But I would have to say.. all in all.. well worth it..bleach was just plain scary lol.. who would have thunk.. Clorox in a reef tank @twilliard lol ...thank you sir..

reddog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been several weeks since I stop dosing.. still dino free.. and all live stock is happy.. all corals are happy.. but I did notice one thing.. well 2 things...lol.. first it did seem to affect my GBTA.. it has bleached..turned white (only green under blues now) and moved(grrr).. looking like the bleach also killed all the dinos in the BTA? Second.. a new green algae(looks like turf) is growing.. but emeralds and turbos just love this new green.. But I would have to say.. all in all.. well worth it..bleach was just plain scary lol.. who would have thunk.. Clorox in a reef tank @twilliard lol ...thank you sir..

That's awesome that you are dino free! I'm excited to try this.

So you went by the safe formula, and also left all fish in the tank, right? I'm going to start this process soon and want to make sure I have all my dinos... I mean ducks in a row.. :)

Formula: 0.003/Chlorine % = ml per gallon (dose that 2x a day)

By this it means I should dose 12mL of 5% (0.05) bleach into my 200 gallon (volume) system.

How many days did you dose, and did you do it twice per day every day?

Thanks!

Lowefx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

By this it means I should dose 12mL of 5% (0.05) bleach into my 200 gallon (volume) system.

Thanks!

I thought the formula was 0.003÷Chlorine % × tank volume = ml (2x daily)
Correct me if I am wrong.

badd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome that you are dino free! I'm excited to try this.

So you went by the safe formula, and also left all fish in the tank, right? I'm going to start this process soon and want to make sure I have all my dinos... I mean ducks in a row.. :)

Thanks!

Yes math seems correct. I dosed 2 times daily for 3 days...and yes I left all live stock in. .

badd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that completely. Did you stop GAC or GFO or your Skimmer during this process?

I took all media out.. (gfo).. but ran everything. .so anything that water go thru..over.. touches.. I wanted the bleach to contact everything. .any media i added back was new..I didnt want to reinfest my system. . Even though dinos look like algae.. its not..and even one active dino..could become billions.. lol

reddog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took all media out.. (gfo).. but ran everything. .so anything that water go thru..over.. touches.. I wanted the bleach to contact everything. .any media i added back was new..I didnt want to reinfest my system. . Even though dinos look like algae.. its not..and even one active dino..could become billions.. lol

I understand that! I'll do the same. I'll toss the GFO, Carbon, and CupriSorb that I'm using and use all new after 3 days.

badd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that! I'll do the same. I'll toss the GFO, Carbon, and CupriSorb that I'm using and use all new after 3 days.

Yes water runs thru carbon bags and gfo...but why chance it.. dinos are like a std..lol.. they could be passed from tank to tank.. cheap microscope from toysrus ..and you can check for dinos..and look at other cool stuff in your tank. I stlil pull samples and look ...

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes water runs thru carbon bags and gfo...but why chance it.. dinos are like a std..lol.. they could be passed from tank to tank.. cheap microscope from toysrus ..and you can check for dinos..and look at other cool stuff in your tank. I stlil pull samples and look ...
So you did the safe dosage with all livestock in the tank?

badd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did this for 3 months to kill velvet. Appeared to be successful.... velvet is as we know a form of dino's

@badd gha is taking over....you killed the dinos which were zapping your nutrients allowing other algaes to thrive.
And I would rather deal with gha than dino anyday lol..

Lowefx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do I use 8.25% or the yield at 7.85% for the equation?
Please help me with the equation again. Is it .003÷(bleach %) × 120 (gallon tank)= ml 2x daily?
Is this correct?
1487724109924.jpeg

reddog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I understand that. I'm paranoid about it transferring for sure. I set up a tank with just a few coral frags so I'll treat that too. I'll need to wash everything, but I can handle it. Freshwater kills them so some stuff I can just soak or rinse well with freshwater.

I already had a microscope which is how I determined I have ostreopsis.
20170125_181010.jpg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 72 35.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 52 25.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.9%
Back