Dinoflagellates - dinos a possible cure!? Follow along and see!

Reeferhigh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleach did the trick for me. I dosed at the calculated "safe dose" and all it did was kill 2 of my fish by day 3. You must take out all fish. After taking out the remaining fish I continued to dose at the recommended dose in total for 3 weeks. Corals were fine just lost colour but the dino's were still alive! Osti's by the way. Seen as though I was using 4% bleach the calculation doesnt seem to do the trick, I was recommended to double the dose for 3 days, so I did 5 doses in total, 4 at 2.5x the calculation and 1 at 3x the calculation. I turned off the skimmer during this time because it was annoying me. Dino's are dead and are no where to be seen going on 3 or 4 weeks now.

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the safe dose is as effective but i think it depends on what strain of dinos it is. By all means I reccomend the safe dose to start off but it might not work every time. I RECCOMEND REMOVING ALL LIVESTOCK FROM TANK. Inverts and snails should be fine. Not quite sure on starfish. I witnessed my amphipods made it through as well. I also want to reccomend using the 8.25% sodium hypochlorite bleach...aka Clorox bleach. A safe starting point I would reccomend is 1 ml bleach per 10 gallons. So for example I have a 55 gallon so 5.5 ml TWICE Dailey once every 12 hours or so. But the objective is to go off of the smell of the tank, if dosing enough bleach you should be able to smell the tank and it should smell like a hot tub or pool. A chlorine smell should be present. The most I would reccomend is a 3 day dose so a total of six doses. I recommend also that once done, take all equipment out and do a bleach bath to make site they don't get reintroduced to the dt again. EVERYTHING must be bathed in a bleach bath. Nets, syringes, ect.

[emoji724] REMOVE ALL LIVESTOCK FROM TANK PRIOR TO THIS! [emoji724]
So to recap it is 1ml per 10 gallons. Dose twice Dailey with 8.25% bleach (Clorox brand). Or until you get the chlorine smell. Dose for 3 days to end up with a total of 6 doses.
Thanks, this is all based from @twilliard and his dedicated research. I have been doing research myself but don't have the tools like a scope. I have successfully dosed my tank with this method and I'm about a month free of dinos.

Last edited:

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After losing an bunch of acros and zoas from being smothered by long filamentous reddish brown strings, I had a hunch that I had a dino problem based on pictures over on the Vibrant thread. I sent a sample of water to Twilliard several weeks ago and he confirmed an infestation of Prorocentrum Dinos in my water column.

Last week, I proceeded to dose 2ml twice daily of Clorox bleach in my fallow 29 gallon Biocube for 3 days based on the guidance from this thread. Did a big water change yesterday and so far, so good. My favias and duncan aren't too happy but my acans, hammers, stylos and digis seem fine. Hopefully my dino days are behind me... we shall see.

badd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at the point of restart.. did the bleach.. happy happy... tank aint much to look at.. but im not looking at dinos.. lol

20170301_162752.jpg

Lowefx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
USE CAUTION IF YOU ARE ALREADY RUNNING ZEOVIT SYSTEM. 1ML TO 10GAL IS NOT CORRECT. KILLS FISH WITHIN 10 MINUTES.

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hrmmm.... my tank is fallow now except a cleaner shrimp and some sps frags. I still find Dino's under microscope on hair algae... maybe now is the perfect chance to get rid of this Satan spawn.

Lowefx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not blaming him, I just didn't see that part and dose incorrectly. I hope no one makes the same mistake. All my fish are dead

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back